Thursday's the day

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris37

This Thursday at 7:30 am is the big event. Even though I know everything is going to be fine, I'm nervous as all get out.

Can anyone tell me what it's like when first waking up...or when you first become concious enough to remember things? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Chris

Want to wish you all the best.

You will find that everyone has different surgical experiences. My first was extremely uneventful. Don't remember a thing. By the time I was fully conscious.... felt pretty good and the breathing tube had already been removed. Was kept nicely sedated.Stressed the fact that I did not want to be surgically aware and they slipped me a little extra to keep me from recalling. :D

Hi Chris,

The first thing I remember when I woke up was the breathing tube. I wanted to pull it out so I could talk. Wanted to ask if the surgeon had given me a homograph. Other then that I was in and out and don't remember much more. The next thing I was aware of it was time to leave ICU and out to the cardiac floor. Try and relax. Before you know it, you will be up and walking and amazed it is all over.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I too was as nervous as all get out before surgery. My surgery was 6 months ago (March 8th-MVP & AVP). There were tubes coming out of me everywhere, but I was soo drugged it didn't even bother me. My surgery ended about 12:00Am and my real first concious thought was I MADEIT! I'm Still Alive! That was at about 2:00. My next remeberance was about 10:00AM the next morning with the doctor pulling the tube out! I remember that was such a relief!
I want to wish you the best and let you know you will be in our prayers! The worst will be behind you before you know it!:)

Question asked

Question asked

Cris..thanks for asking that question..it was one that I was going to ask also:p I will speak to the doctors before hand..because I sure don't want to remember the breathing tube and neck catheters coming out. I have a terrible fear of gagging or throwing up and I hope that they can do something so I either don't remember it or that they can somehow control it. In a funny way I don't fear the pain part to much (maybe those are famous last words) because the pain will let me know that I "made it" and am alive..isn't that a weird thought..coming from a world class whimp!!
I'm sure that you will do just fine on Thursday and I will be thinking good healing thoughts for you! Please have someone post for you if possible so we all know that things went well. Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing from you very soon:)
Joan

Hi Chris

Hi Chris

The first thing I remember after being extubated was dying of thirst and trying to give my car to the recovery room nurse for a drink of water.
Then I remember my husband coming in to see me. Then I don't remember much until later in the night.

Good luck!
-Mara

hi chris!
must be a lucky week, my husband is going in for RP the day before. he is mostly nervous about the breathing tube. he's worried, like joan, that it will make him gag and unable to communicate.
i'll be thinking of you counting down the hours as we are. they say, once it's over it's a relief just recovering.
you will certainly be in my prayers.

please have someone post for you on your progress and how things go, ok?
you're in our thoughts,

sylvia

Hi Sylvia..I've been remiss in saying hello and welcome to you and your husband. I want to wish the both of you well and I know that it must be a releif to have made a decision to go with Dr. Seltzer and the RP. Although it doesen't apply to me (to old at 70 and I need AVR and triplr bypass) I found the RP web site facinating and very informative. We used to live in Westchester (Croton on Hudson) for 40 years and moved down to Raleigh exactly 3 years ago yesterday.I only found out about a month ago that I needed surgery and the people on this forum have been wonderful..there is nothing like speaking with people who have "been there" to help you along the way!
Best luck and a quick and uneventful recovery!!Please keep us posted..All of us waiting our turn..look forward to hearing about all the great outcomes..I know it gives me more encouragement and hope for my own surgery
:)
Joan

Hi Chris,

Wishing you a successful surgery and a full and healthy recovery. I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers.

The very first thing I remember when I woke from my emergency surgery was... Wooo... I'm awake... my toes...I can wiggle them,,, No Pain in my legs.. or my stomach..!! The second thing I remember was my wife at my bedside. I was supposed to be unconsious for 2 to 3 days.. but she whispered in my ear.. and that is when I wokeup. By morning, I was off the ventalator, and was eating and drinking.. (water and juice)

Rob

thirsty!

thirsty!

Hey Chris,

I woke up in the hall way as they were wheeling me into ICU. No breathing tube. The first uncomfortable thought I had was... I was soooo thirsty! My son was a freshman in college at the time, I told him to stay in school.... don't come. But he was there when I woke up. THANK GOODNESS!! He'd been a wrestler all his life and knew all about being thirsty.... he slipped my ice chips when the nurse wasn't looking. :)

That is one of my most vivid memories of ICU..... the extreme love and care from my precious... then 19 year old son. It wasn't that bad!! I've never been so thirsty in my life... but even that was bearable.

I swear the waiting and days before are the very worst.

Love and prayers,
Rain

I had my mitral replaced in Oct/99. The only thing that
really bothered me was the breathing tube and dry
mouth. My daughter brought me in a pen and small
notebook so I could communicate with them and the
Nurses.
I will be having my aortic valve replaced probably in
the next month. The first thing to go in my suitcase
will be a pen and notebook.

Hope this idea helps.

;) JBriau