Thumping Heart Beat and PVC's

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Well it's almost two years now since aortic mechanical valve job and the thumping feeling from by heart is getting slowly worse. When I go to bed it is really annoying and just as I am sitting here typing this I can feel the constant thump thump thump. And recently have just started to have annoying PVC's when exercising. (No chest pain, just annoying)

I am wondering if others are experiencing the same heart thumping after two years and exercise induced PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions).

In the world of valve replacement, I'm sure your not the only one. I do not myself, but lets see who all has.

Hi, Tom, I don't have your track record since I'm just at 12 weeks but I do have the thumping. My Cardio told me it is probably being caused by the Metoprolol I began taking after surgery so at least one consideration could be a drug side effect. When it began, I thought I was experiencing a return of the palpitations I experience before surgery but I quickly realized that it wasn't making me feel ill. I hope your problem is nothing more than this.

Larry

Talk with your Cardiologist about the Exercised Induced PVC's (are you SURE they are PVC's?). He will probably want to give you an EKG and may put you on a 24 or 48 hour Holter Monitor to identify / verify they type of arrhythmia you are experiencing. Some members have experienced Exercise Induced Atrial Fibrilation months or even years after Surgery.

There are several types of Beta Blockers, some of which seem to 'target' specific arrhythmias better than others. Your Cardio can help you find what works best for YOU.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Tom -

I was having some really bothersome PVC issues last year and it turned out that the most-common side effects from my bp medication gradually developed in a cumulative manner and my minerals had become out of balance.

First my cardio ran a blood test and discovered, as he'd expected, my minerals out of range, and then he prescribed minerals, and I floundered back and forth with that and an added beta blocker -- which I think made things worse -- and my pharmacist eventually enlightened me as to the bp medication issue.

(The bp med actually began causing me another issue also and the pharmacist put everything together because I was seeing two different doctors for different things and the family doctor wasn't aware of the bp med side effects -- you know how those things can happen.)

Anyway, hoping your fix is as simple as mine was. Best wishes :) .

after bypass surgery mine pounded - cardio told me to take two atenolol instead of one (a beta blocker). helped. you definitely need to see your cardio if you are concerned, and you are. otherwise you would not ask the question. go blessins......

I'm 1.5 years out from getting my bovine valve and I get bouts of heavy thumping, too. It's never when I exercise, but rather when I am sitting at my computer or trying to sleep.

It happens when I'm starting to get dehydrated, but it also happens for.... no reason that I can think of. I am actually getting a cardiology workup in January because recently I not only had the thumping, but it was accompanied by a high heart rate, which can be caused by pericarditis.

HI,

We are a bunch of thumpers here. I have had it all the time since surgery almost two years ago. I have yet to see a convincing explanation, but they have ranged from water hammer effects (espeically for us with aortic grafts) and now lately Thoraic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) of some sort.

However, my thumping might be quite extreme, but it is stable and I have learnt to live with it. Have no PVCs but sometimes a lot of double beats after exercise or in certain positions.

If it has come up now after some time, I definitely think you should have it checked. There may be several reasons for why the heart is starting to work harder and differently.

::g

PVC's

PVC's

I'm 1.5 years out from getting my bovine valve and I get bouts of heavy thumping, too. It's never when I exercise, but rather when I am sitting at my computer or trying to sleep.

It happens when I'm starting to get dehydrated, but it also happens for.... no reason that I can think of. I am actually getting a cardiology workup in January because recently I not only had the thumping, but it was accompanied by a high heart rate, which can be caused by pericarditis.

I am also over 1.5 years post bovine aortic replacement. Last several months I have had the "thumping" heartbeats, too. Most noticeable at night when trying to sleep. At my regular 6-month cardio visit, he put me on a 24 hour Holter monitor and had an echo done. Holter showed 3,000 PVC's in 24 hours, and cardiologist said it wasn't a problem.

Maybe I am just insecure and/or hypersensitive, but I don't like that I didn't have PVC's prior, and now do have them. I keep asking myself "why"????
(no dietary/stress changes)

Latest posts

Back