Thru the ER at Cleveland

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyCap

Hi all.
So, We finally got a call back today saying that my dad was going to have to get ALL of his testing re-done in Cleveland. With a tentative surgery date of Dec 7th... IF they give him clearance for the surgery.
Dr Pettersson's nurse is trying to coordinate for all the testings to be done.

December is just SOOOO far away for my dad... he needs help NOW!

Has anyone been admitted to Cleveland thru the ER? And if you were transported from a distance... how did you get there? Wondering if that's the way to go in order to expedite things?

Sorry, just so frustrated and discouraged yet trying to stay strong. (I will admit... it's getting really hard to do these days.)

I wish I knew how to be more helpful other than to say I understand. My father's contact began in August and we hoped for surgery in early September but it ended up being October. By the time he got to the operation he was very sick and Dr. Mihaljevic said his heart was barely working yet now he is at home in Florida recovering. I hope you are able to find a better answer.

Thanks so much, Carolyn. Very comforting to hear from you.... knowing that your dad was a champion and made it thru.

How is dad feeling? I've been thinking of you all and hoping/praying for the best for you all.

Have a good night.

Hi all.
So, We finally got a call back today saying that my dad was going to have to get ALL of his testing re-done in Cleveland. With a tentative surgery date of Dec 7th... IF they give him clearance for the surgery.

Has anyone been admitted to Cleveland thru the ER? And if you were transported from a distance... how did you get there? Wondering if that's the way to go in order to expedite things?

Sorry, just so frustrated and discouraged yet trying to stay strong. (I will admit... it's getting really hard to do these days.)

It would appear that his best hope of being admitted to CC is to get his tests repeated there.
IF he is as critical as you fear, they would likely move up his surgery date or take him immediately if it were deemed an emergent situation.

Hope something works out for your dad.

Hi Al,

They did mention that they would attempt to move the surgery up if needed. Tomorrow we should hear if they came up with a date for all the testing to be completed. I just get worried with the holidays coming up and we already received word that Dr P was going to be off for Thanksgiving week. So, that gives us less calendar time to work with. know what I mean?!?

I suppose we just have to be as patient as possible and go with what they say. It's just been a really rough year for dad. He's been steered in so many wrong directions that its hard to just trust that others are going to do what's best for him. But, Cleveland is supposed to be amazing. I have heard so many miracles coming out of there... so now is the time to have faith in them.... right??!??!

Well, tomorrow is Dad's 70th. Let's hope its a good one!

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I was scheduled for August 11th at cleveland. I live in Florida. I went to my local ER July 21st with extreme shortness of breath and they wanted to admit me, I told them no way and my husband called the Cleveland clinic and they spoke with the ER doctor and that afternoon I was in a Cleveland clinic jet. I was scheduled to see Dr. Majalevich but he was on vacation so I had Dr. Gillinov the following Monday. As you could imagine I was a nervous wreck so the details of how it all worked are fuzzy.

Andy, I also know of someone on another forum who CC sent their jet for a couple of times for this year. I'm not sure of the circumstances of how that happened, but I can try and find out the details if you'd like and pass them along to you. Both times, they admited her and she ended up being hospitalized there for quiet a while. If your dad is in bad of shape as you say, this may be a way to get him seen asap. Let me know if you want me to get in touch with this other woman, I'd be happy to.

I'm sorry that you find yourself in the position your in with your Dad. I hope you find a solution soon.

Kim

Michelle,
That was a very smart move on your part... thanks for sharing. My Dad appreciated your story.

Kim,
Thanks, I truly appreciate your offer.... if you have a few moments... I'd love to find out their experience.

This is definitely good info to have should we need immediate care while we are waiting to get word.

Everyone's feedback is very much appreciated. This forum is so wonderful!

Andrea

I am so glad you are at this site for support, as you can see Kim and Michelle offer more than hope while Al's knowledge was most helpful as I began to learn about valves and corrective surgery. If your father's health takes a turn for the worse call the surgeon's office. My mother did not know to do so and my father was far too sick to do anything but hold on until he got there. Another suggestion, ask for help from Cleveland if you think he is not well ebough to travel to the clinic by commercial means for the surgery. I am still amazed that my mother got my father to Cleveland given his condition. In spite of a fall last night, (he was standing on the couch to turn the ceiling fan down rather than use a remote) he went for a haircut and out to breakfast with my mother and sister this morning. When I spoke to my mother he was resting and sitting in the sunshine. It will be wonderful to hear your Dad is on the recovery side, regardless, blessed are the children who have the opportunity to help their parents.

Hi all.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking and I have some different thoughts about it.
Are you asking IF your Dad gets worse before his surgery date and goes to the local ER how would they get him to CCF IF they think he needs surgery sooner than December? Or are you asking IF he went to the local ER would that help move his surgery date up so he didn't have to wait as long?

Justin has had quite a few heart surgeries, some planned that he had to wait weeks or a month or so to get the "soonest" date for "elective" surgery (FWIW any heart surgery that is schedualled not right from the ER type of thing is considerred "elective") some of his were ER cases w/ surgery the very next day and for most of his planned surgeries he was also bumped a couple times for other Emergency cases. So I really do understand how hard it is to wait, knowing how much better he will be after surgery and wonderring IF he really is ok to wait and all the other questions and fears
Justin doesn't go to CCF, but goes to one of the top/busiest Congenital Heart Centers AND he also has the "best" surgeon at that hospital, so like CCF people fly from all over the world for surgery and they are VERY busy, so there is always a long waiting list and unless you are a real emergency (meaning you would probably die in a few days if they didn't operate right away) they fit you in to the next available opening. (of course for an emergency they will fit you in even if they have to bump other patients who aren't in as bad shape ect) One of the problems with going to the best centers/surgeons is the waiting list is usually longer than it would be at some other centers, so as long as they feel it is safe to wait compared to all the other people waiting for their surgeries, you probably will have to wait a little longer. IF they honestly don't think you (in this case your Dad)could wait they would get you an earlier date, even if it means bumping another person who isn't as bad as the ER case.

Now if you were asking what would happen IF your Dad got worse and went to the local ER, how would things work out to get him to CCF if they decided he couldn't wait until his schedualled surgery. You got alot of good advice already.

But if you were trying to figure out IF going to the local ER would move up his surgery IF nothing has really changed since they decided he could wait until December. I don't think they would move up the surgery. They might suggest changing around meds or something but unless he was worse, I don't think (but could be completely wrong) it would help getting surgery sooner -by probably bumping someone else that has been waiting for their surgery for a while too.
Also unless you REALLY have to go to the ER, especially this time of year, I don't know that I would want to risk him catching something from all the sick people also in the waiting room ect. That's the last thing anyone waiting for heart surgery needs. One of Justin's surgeries was postponed a couple weeks because he got sick a few days before his surgery was schedualled.

I really do know how scarey all of this is, especially with all your Dad has been thru the past year. Maybe you could call and ask why they decided he was ok to wait and also find out if there is anything you should be watching for that would mean he needs surgery sooner.

First off.... Carolyn.... THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR THAT LAUGH. While we shouldn't be laughing at the fact that your dad fell.... and I sure do hope that he is okay... doesn't he know that he just had OHS?!??! lol. I called my dad right away to let him know that your dad was able to climb on the couch within 1 month of surgery. That really is amazing. So, you were able to not only give my dad hope... but also give him a laugh!!! That in and of itself these days is not so easy. So, from the bottom of my heart.... THANK YOU!
Now will you go and tie that remote to your dad's wrist so he doesn't try that one again!!!! LOL.

Lyn,
I completely understand everything that you are saying.... it is all so true. Sometimes we just get caught up in our own loved ones needs... forgetting about others. What you said is so very true. And after our moments of self-absorption, please know that I do take a step back and remember the reality of it all. I seem to be the calm for the family.... but sometimes need to vent, and this forum has allowed me to vent, re-focus, but also get lots of answers (many of which have been very reassuring for my dad).

Mornings seem to be the worst part of the day for dad... and so he and his wife get really scared... thinking of the worst. When he heard that he would need to be re-tested in order to be CONSIDERED for surgery.... he thought that was a polite way of being told "No". You see... We've been geared in the wrong direction too many times. Dad's even been turned away, too. Needless to say, after heard that from CC... he got really depressed.
We have learned to how important it is to take control of your own health care. So, we are just trying to have all of our alternate plans ready... should they be needed. Of course we would like to go with a set date in order to not rush into anything... leaving little room for any real surprises. On the other hand... each day Dad is getting much worse.... and having to wait yet ANOTHER month just seems like an eternity!!!

Well, have a great, healthy day!

Andy, I sent this lady I spoke about a message and just checked to see if she had replied...I then noticed a post on the forum that she had to be flown out once again on an emergent basis for emergency surgery and expects to be in the hospital for 2 weeks then moved to a rehab for 4 weeks. Evidently, she had a sudden turn for the worse. Sorry, I couldn't reach her since she had several trips there this year and I'm sure her experience would have been helpful to you.

Kim

The plan for me was to hold me there until a time opened up. I was stable in the hospital and the probably would have kept me there until the 11th if there wasn't a cancellation. I had to have my blood pressure constantly monitored and on oxygen so even though I could have waited for surgery, I wouldn't have lasted at home. So even if he isn't ready for emergency surgery perhaps he is ready to be an impatient.

Kim,

Please let your friend know that I am praying for her and her family. I sure do wish her the very best for a speedy recovery.

Latest posts

Back