Thoracic aorta dilation in an AVR veteran

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I am a 74-year old male who learned much from this site back in 2001 when I was first diagnosed with aortic stenosis. I was perated on in September of that year (just before 9/11, in fact) and was given a bovine replacement valve.

The bovine valve has performed like a champ and, as we speak, is heading toward its16th anniversary in sterling shape. However, a new problem has popped up: dilation (or aneurysm) of the thoracic aorta: i.e., enlargement of the aorta just above the replacement valve. The aorta has grown from 2.5 cm to 4.4 cm in width since my previous echo-cardiogram in 2012. I also have begun to have some periodic elevated systolic pressure, so my cardiologist has put me on a mild dose of blood pressure control medication.

He points out that as the width of the aorta reaches the neighborhood of 5.0 cm (likely about a year away at present rates) it will likely be necessary to replace both a portion of the aorta and -- while they're at it -- the aortic valve itself. Moreover, this problem seems to be most pronounced among recipients of replacement aortic valves.

I am wondering if any of you have experience, direct or indirect, with this sort of situation -- and what advice of "lessons learned" you might share. Many thanks!

Peter E.

Hi Peter,

I have had an aneurysm in my aortic arch. They repaired this at the same time they replaced my first mechanical valve with anoth one.
They rebuilt the aortic root, and, had to do a by-pass to move my carotid artery away from the area that had the aneurysm. They then "coiled-off" the aneurysm.
So, I guess you could say I had the 200,000 mile engine rebuild.
My original St Jude mechanical valve lasted 10 yrs, I needed it replaced due to pannus which was preventing the valve from functioning properly.
The new valve is an ON-X valve.
The tests they ran to reviewing my 1st valve's functioning issue was when they found the aneurysm.

No lessons learned or advise, it was all all just another one of those, "Fix me and let me go home" events.
It had to be done, and there wasn't anything I could do otherwise. Tests indicated the only option was to get the valve replaced, and time was not on my side.
If you have any specific questions or concerns that I can help with , let me know.

Rob

Latest posts

Back