this is of course why I go right ahead and ignore Nutritionists

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
classic stuff

https://life-guide.com/pizza-is-a-healthier-breakfast-than-cereal-nutritionists-say/
“You may be surprised to find out that an average slice of pizza and a bowl of cereal with whole milk contain nearly the same amount of calories,” Amer said.“However, pizza packs a much larger protein punch, which will keep you full and boost satiety throughout the morning.”

LOL ... these guys can barely tell you the steps of metabolism of fructose. ... let alone what phosphorylation is ... FMD

Cold pizza for breakfast is an "American thing" wouldn't expect an Aussie to understand :) If it's good pizza it's good for you 24/7. The concept that breakfast is specific kinds of food folds up on itself with a global view of breakfast.

My wife and I are trying very hard to get away from eggs - there seem to be only a handful of ways to prepare them (although I realize that there are probably thousands).

I doubt that these are the best way to break an evening-long fast.

We don't usually have meat in the morning - we probably should. I don't usually make enough food at night for leftovers in the morning.

Maybe I should invert the food schedule to better serve my family's needs, with 'dinner' in the morning, a snack in early afternoon, and a nice large breakfast at around 4 PM.

-----

My wife used to joke about having steak and eggs for breakfast. One day, I might even surprise her.

My wife and I are trying very hard to get away from eggs - there seem to be only a handful of ways to prepare them (although I realize that there are probably thousands).

We don't usually have meat in the morning - we probably should. I don't usually make enough food at night for leftovers in the morning.

Maybe I should invert the food schedule to better serve my family's needs, with 'dinner' in the morning, a snack in early afternoon, and a nice large breakfast at around 4 PM.

-----

My wife used to joke about having steak and eggs for breakfast. One day, I might even surprise her.
It's a difficult subject. The advice seems to change regularly, I'm old enough to remember when eggs would kill you if you ate them regularly and then they went to being considered very nutritious, I would imagine if your cholesterol and triglycerides are under control and occasional egg won't hurt. I'm sure someone will get out here now and tell me you have to have an entirely plant-based diet to live past 40 or something but like I said it seems to go back and forth with nutrition overall to an extent but for some reason the eggs get kicked around a lot. I mean clearly a lot of sugar isn't good for you though

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." - Michael Pollan

It doesn't have to be so complicated.

FYI, regarding eggs, I believe that some of the studies that came out in support of eggs were funded by the industry. It is illegal (in the US) to label eggs as nutritious or healthy due to rules against false or misleading advertising - google it.

"Nutrition" is a religion and political.

Don"t throw the baby out with the bath water.

A case could be made for anything based on some studies.

Just because the FDA says so or not is not the barometer for deriving truth, fact, reality. It is difficult to derive those three from any snippet of information. It takes awareness and comprehension of a wider array of factors regarding the workings of the body, the significance of foods and their source conditions as well as the workings of government bureaucracy.

Then you are still dealing with biases and opinions of humans who love to mask and present them in misleading fashion, ultimately to get you to agree with them.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to hear what's on the menu for others through out the week.

I tend to have eggs for breakfast or oatmeal. Other times peanut butter toast.
Sandwich for lunch or leftovers. A piece of fruit
One of the following: Fish, chicken, pork, beef and veggies for dinner

I know my diet could be much better, but the target on what is healthy seems to be a moving target.

Just seen this thread - how anyone can think pizza for breakfast is healthy is beyond me. Maybe it's irony ? I mean, compared to sugary cereals it is less unhealthy by a bit.
It would be interesting to hear what's on the menu for others through out the week.
I eat fish for breakfast. For lunch I eat either some meat, organic pasture fed beef, or some eggs, and some green veggies, usually left overs from the previous evening. For supper I have meat, organically reared lamb, beef or chicken, or eggs, with green veggies, followed by a cheese course if I'm still hungry - oh and a glass of🍷 If I'm peckish during the day I snack on almonds or live yoghurt. I don't eat any processed foods but cook everything from scratch, cook with fats such as coconut oil or avocado oil or butter !

Last edited:
Things could get very graphic and you would need to wait til you are starving to eat many things so in a way it is best to ignore a lot of that. I don't eat some foods because I couldn't ignore everything I knew. (i.e. insects gross me out but cannot be avoided).

I have become more practical about sating hunger so now I can eat just for energy conveniently the same thing thrown together to take to work.

Speaking of peanut butter, I prefer cashew butter. I like CB & J's with apricot preserves but have not had one in a while.

My staples are fresh spinach on everything compatible sprinkled like people use salt and pepper. So that breakfast pizza is just a vehicle for fresh greens :))

I get a rotisserie chicken and chop it up with fresh carrot and avocado for my lunch 4-5 days a week. The avocado is the magic I don't get tired of.

For dinner I routinely have oatmeal with fresh rasp, straw, and blueberries or some variation. Sometimes a banana is in there. Also I include some real maple syrup and half n half. Anything less is water to me. I alternate between oatmeal and something made with brown rice, usually a stir-fry. I get tired of bird and crave beef so dinner is going to have beef if meat. Used to eat fish.

Breakfast lately has been turkey sausage and an apple bud which is like apple pie.

I drink pomegranate juice, coffee and plain water. I spend a lot on a specific brand/source of water. I have won blind contests demonstrating I can detect it and its traits happen to enable me to drink more of it. Sometimes just downing a bottle can bring me into alignment. I try to get as far from purified toilet water as possible even if all water has cycled through bodies by now and nature is just another filter.

I do eat eggs more when I am going to be home and lately (like a year) it has just been out of habit that I have not. I eat hard boiled eggs when I am focused on making everything count but I like them scrambled too.

These are the general routines but I eat and do other things intermittently, especially when a social event involves food. In a social gathering talking about diet or how you don't drink alcohol or avoid whatever can be quite the pooper. Usually there is something available that won't make me sick or kill me.

Last edited:
I know my diet could be much better, but the target on what is healthy seems to be a moving target.
its an interesting subject, and the vast majority of strong opinions on this matter (that get real specific) are usually not evidence based. Dieticians (speaking generally) are among the worst at this and a perfect example of this. No training of significance in biochemistry and rote learning of "what's good and what's bad" with very little studies done to confirm their biases (classic non-science if you ask me).

We've gone (since the 70's across an entire 360 of what's recommended and what gets the "heart smart tick".

My view tends towards the idea that we should eat a balanced diet of foods that have less (rather than more) processing and additives. To be clear almost everything that is a preservative is also toxic (which is what preservation actually does, makes the "food" toxic to that which would otherwise digest it, or as we would call it "spoil it"). Classic "preservatives" are: salt, sugar, vinegar and drying.

I would strongly suggest a diet of some nuts, some meats, some grains and some fruits.

Humans are rather adaptable and its pretty hard to get any sort of malnutrition in this day when almost every possible cause has long been explored by biochemists (perhaps starting with scurvy, but even ancient peoples knew the problems with their foods)
Eg:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization
Nixtamalized corn has several benefits over unprocessed grain: It is more easily ground, its nutritional value is increased, flavor and aroma are improved, and mycotoxins are reduced by up to 97%–100% (for aflatoxins)

…even ancient peoples knew the problems with their foods….
It is amazing that homo sapiens have been ignorant and never could have accessed a balanced diet during most of their existence yet they managed to survive the 100,000+ years prior. (Using a conservative number).

There wasn’t any superior wisdom
yes and no ... superior to now, no. Superior to just the other animals yes.

How do you think they discovered the treatment I mentioned?

People have been fermenting foods for thousands of years ... cabbage in particular. Cheese, preserved meats, preserved vegetables.

https://stacker.com/stories/23704/history-fermentation-around-world
https://www.sciencehistory.org/distillations/the-age-of-scurvy
I think there is more history to food technology than you credit.

Last edited:
Ancient peoples ate whatever they could get their hands on. When they figured out how to grow things, even better. There wasn’t any superior wisdom. They barely lived to 30.
But the reason they "barely lived to 30" was unlikely to be due to the foods they ate, apart from when there was lack of food, ie starvation. Much more likely to be with illnesses, infections and accidents. The average lifespan of people up until the 19th century was around 40 years of age. There was always high infant mortality. What changed lifespan was clean water, control of infection, antiseptics and vaccinations - modern medicine.

There was always high infant mortality until there was clean water, control of infection and vaccinations.
this is of course the main point: clean drinking water and sanitation. Still today is the 90% of why we are so healthy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_Roman_Empire#Mortality
When child mortality is factored out (i.e., counting only those who survived to age 5, 55–65% of the population), life expectancy is around 40–45. The ~50% that reached age 10 could also expect to reach ~45-50. The 46-49% that survived to their mid-teens could, on average, expect to reach around 48–54, although of course many lived much longer or shorter lives for varied reasons, including wars for males and childbirth for females

Modern high starch and sugar diets however are not helping anyone, it is of course a vexing question because without that many would again be starving (just look at the Ukraine situation and knock on effects). Malthus was only wrong because he didn't get the importance of fossil fuels and didn't know about mined fertiliser (like potash).

Last edited:

-----

In the 80’s there was a diet that broke up 24 hours in terms of ingestion, digestion and elimination. I think I caught an interview with the author on television. I wasn’t interested in the specific foods of the diet, just this concept of considering when and what the body does with whatever we have eaten. (At least back then the author, a physician, advocated a vegetarian starchy diet having observed the health of the elderly in populations with such a diet.).

I followed that basic premise and felt better. My body reacted harmoniously to it. You mentioned breakfast possibly being leftovers from the previous day if you ever made enough for there to be leftovers. I cannot eat the same things for breakfast when I ate them for dinner the previous night. I have to skip a day and have something different in respect to that. I can eat the same lunch daily but dinner is the meal you eat before sleeping.

My body shuts down and I get cloudy if I eat a substantial breakfast. Substantial can take many forms from heavy, large, rich, too early after awakening, etc. I am better off nibbling breakfast throughout the morning. The rest of the cycle works when I stick to the time allotted for each stage. I get more quality rest and wake up clear minded and energized for the day. That is a factor infuencing when, what and how much I eat during the day.

We tend to mix up thirst with hunger and hunger with being in need of rest. If you mix those up your responses work against their intent. When I followed the outline I was feeling good and in harmony with this process. I didn’t do counterproductive things like eating because I have mistaken being tired or thirsty with needing to eat something.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back