This came off my roof earlier today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

It's about 8 feet wide, 4 feet deep and 9 inches thick. I have snow slides on the house to protect the roof from ice dams. And the chunks of ice that slide off are enormous. It is planted firmly into the ground. More to come from the second story. Right now it is just inching its way beyond the edge of the roof.

We had an article in our local paper this week about a dearly-loved dog that was killed by such a sliding ice patch.

Nancy .... that is amazing ... nothing like that in the SC ... as said, be careful where you stand ... Can you hear it when it starts to break away and slide?

There is very little warning when it falls, maybe one small sound, and then a huge thud. I can see the ice start to advance over the edge when there is a warming spell. I do not ever walk in or under the eave area where the ice is probably going to fall. And I have signs warning others to not do so either.

I also do not let the dog go out in the yard when there is a warm spell and ice is still on the roof.

Yes, it can kill someone.

The snow slides work very well, but the above is the trade off. We had several years when there was flooding inside the house because of ice dams backing up water on the roof, and one of the floods tore down an interior wall. So this has stopped it.

A lot of people here have electrical cables at the roof edge, but they don't work very well, others climb up on the roof and manually chip the ice off--dangerous. Or they use special long roof rakes.

I'm glad that the cat in the article wasn't hurt. I believe animals with their keen sense of hearing may be able to hear sounds of the movement of ice before we could ever hope to. There is a tiny sound of a snap or breaking off of the ice chunk right before it falls, and it may be enough to scare most animals away if their hearing is OK.

It is the same with tree limbs falling. There is a loud snap and then it falls.

I have a lot of large trees too.

One of the men who was putting in a new concrete sidewalk for me said he heard a lot of squeaking noises coming from the very tall trees. It was a breezy day, and I told him that squeaking was OK, it was just the limbs rubbing together, but if he heard a snap to get out fast.

Yes, nature can be pretty brutal.

It's about 8 feet wide, 4 feet deep and 9 inches thick. I have snow slides on the house to protect the roof from ice dams. And the chunks of ice that slide off are enormous. It is planted firmly into the ground. More to come from the second story. Right now it is just inching its way beyond the edge of the roof.

OMG! :eek: Please be careful when you go outside Nancy! That chunk could kill you, God forbid!! :eek:

Ouch, Nancy. Glad you are careful.

Those in big cities have to deal with ice falling from a greater distance ... and that can be very scary :(.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...W Grill meal = 02/28/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Sometimes it feels like its all moving way too fast" ... Pat Benatar ... 'Shadows Of The Night'

Latest posts

Back