Third surgery.. Mid twenties

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have been thru 3 surgeries at 34, 46 and 54. I would recommend that you look up the risks after you have the surgery!
I came through my 3rd quite well, but did have a collapsed lung after the surgery that was addressed when I got to the cardiac care unit.
My surgeon said the scar tissue made my 3rd risky. It took 3 hours for them to cut through it and get to the actual reason for my surgery!
Of course, I would recommend Stanford Hospital and Dr Craig Miller. He has done some of us here and we are all here to talk about it.
I actually felt good after my surgery, very alert, and was walking the halls a lot after I was moved from ICU to the regular unit.
Nurses are very nice to patients who want to get better!
You are young and I think you will do fine. It's normal to be nervous. My hands were shaking the morning of surgery.

I also have been thru 3 surgeries at 34, 46 and 54. I would recommend that you look up the risks after you have the surgery!
I came through my 3rd quite well, but did have a collapsed lung after the surgery that was addressed when I got to the cardiac care unit.
My surgeon said the scar tissue made my 3rd risky. It took 3 hours for them to cut through it and get to the actual reason for my surgery!
Of course, I would recommend Stanford Hospital and Dr Craig Miller. He has done some of us here and we are all here to talk about it.
I actually felt good after my surgery, very alert, and was walking the halls a lot after I was moved from ICU to the regular unit.
Nurses are very nice to patients who want to get better!
You are young and I think you will do fine. It's normal to be nervous. My hands were shaking the morning of surgery.

why you lung collapsed and does this happen often with the OHS ?
I'm going to cleveland clinic in Ohio since this is where i have done my 2nd surgery .. hope it would be the right choice

Hi

I've had 3 OHS, 9yo (repair), 28yo (homograft) and last one at 48yo (ATS mechanical and an aortic graft).

Were your other OHS on the same site? My valve operation was my Aortic, I confess that I do not know what CHT is and google gave me no help, what is it please?

It is true that risks increase with multiple surgeries (anyone that says otherwise is lying or ignorant). However the risks can be dealt with. I had an open sternum operation each time and my surgeon was quite clear to me that no one will want to do a fourth as the risks increase in a non linear manner after 2.

The scaring makes it very difficult to know exactly where things are (and if you've ever done dissections or "cleaned and gutted animals" you'd know exactly what I'm talking about). However they do have access to much better "medical imaging" these days and so take more time and effort in planning which will minimise the risks.

Percentages of successful are favorable but its not just the risk of death, its the risk of other injury (such as to a nerve) during surgery which may leave you with other issues (such as needing a pacemaker, atrial fib ...). So it is important to find a surgeon who has experience with redo operations and is generally more experienced.

I made it through mine but recovery was slower this time (perhaps due to me being 48 not 28) and I got an infection from the surgery which was a low grade bacteria not anything really nasty. I'm still on antibiotics and my surgery was late Nov 2011.

I think that you choosing a mechanical valve is a very good idea, especially because at 24 you will NOT get the "whizzo" lifespans (best case) claimed by the makers of tissue valves. A 4th surgery is definately to be avoided (well as is ALL surgery) if it can be helped.

I don't think you need to panic however as despite the risks (and I refuse to pretend to you that there are none or fewer) I believe that there is much more experience and better tools to assist and guide the surgeons today.

The point of choosing a surgeon with more experience in redo operations is that like anything, more experience helps them to know what to look for in preparation and also how to deal with anything as it occurs on the table and they have to make quick decisions.

Ask your surgeon about how much experience they have in redo operations and if they feel comfortable with it. If you don't like their answers seek a referral to another surgeon and keep doing that till you feel comfortable with the surgeon.

I had my operation done back in Australia and I was very comfortable with my surgeon.

CHD= Congenital Heart Disease

where have you done your surgery ?

Sorry, I don't really know the answer to your question about why my lung collapsed or if it happens often with OHS.
I got better, when I began to move around and walk, so I didn't ask questions about it. It was the only time it has happened to me.

I'm sure the folks in Cleveland will do a great job for you. They have a lot of experience with aortic valves and re-do operations.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

why you lung collapsed and does this happen often with the OHS ?
I'm going to cleveland clinic in Ohio since this is where i have done my 2nd surgery .. hope it would be the right choice

I can't answer for Gail and what happened in her case. But from my understanding, it is not uncommon for some Heart surgeries that need the heart lung bypass machine, they deflate the lung or lungs when the person is on the heart/lung bypass machine partially or completely since the machine is dong the work of the heart and lungs It also helps them see the heart better and have more room to work. When they are done working on the heart they reinflate the lungs. Sometimes they dont inflate as well or take longer to open fully. Thats one of the reasons spirometer and walking often are so important to help open the lungs and keep them clearer of all the "junk" . I guess they might not think to mention that the lungs were deflated unless its still collapsed when they wake up, but that is just my guess.

Last edited:
Hi

where have you done your surgery ?

I have this odd feeling of DeJa Vu here, but I had my surgeries all in Brisbane Australia. The hospital was called The Prince Charles, has changed names a few times over the years, but many of the staff are surprisingly persistent there.

Having read some of the papers by the doctors there (and judging by their results) they are among the best anywhere in the world.

yes but when i looked up the adults heart hospitals it turned out cleveland clinic ranked #1
and yes I'm having my aortic valve replaced and you mentioned that they are experienced in that so am i going to right place ?
you are right Dr. Roger, Mee was the one who operated on me when i was 9 years old but is i told you he passed away

and when i was in boston delivering the baby the heart doctor who saw me was in Brigham & women's hospital not children's hospital since I'm an adult..
Hi, I know this post was from a long time ago, just wanted to point out that Dr. Mee ain't dead. He was awarded an order of Australia in 2018. You can see him in the link below:

https://livestream.com/dpcmultimedia/2018-honours-april-day-two/videos/173528874

Hope you're doing well by the way😊

Last edited:
I’ve been through 3 aortic valve replacements as well. 1 at 27, 32, and 37. This last time they put in a Onyx metal valve. I’ve also had a bovine and Childs cadaver. However, since you are in your 20s and most likely have no children this is a decision you want to make. Ask if there is a way you can be put on heparin for a pregnancy if they put in anything metal. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back