TheGymGuy Updates.. 3/27/2012

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
Today is day 2 after surgery. At this moment I only have chest tubes for drainage and one IV.
Went for a 2 lap walk last night and a 3 lap walk this morning.

Most of my discomfort is from chest/abs tubes now. I'm not sure where they are exactly but those mo's hurt.

Did I mention I got a 25mm on-x aortic valve as well as most of the ascending aorta replaced with a Dacron graft.

Lastly, they just pulled my pacing wires and it did not feel great. Well, at least I felt it a lot less than catheter. ;)

V

Hey guy,
Its great to hear how well you are doing! The gym apprently has paid off for you. I was a 5x a week guy in my military days but as you know when you stop going you loose it so quickly. At 62 I have promised my self that after the AVR I will return for the rest of my life(stopped working out 2006). I have decided on a Mechanical valve just don't know if they can squeeze in a big enough on-x valve. My surgeon says he can probally do a 23mm SJM wiith an effective 1.5 cm. If on-x valves are smaller because of the attachement ring the advantage in opening my not be enough. Heck I'm 6' 2" 220 i would have thought I could do a bigger valve. Anyhow you are destine to be the model for AVR at the rate your going! Becarful not to overdue it but what an inspiration for us all!

Wow...things are progressing quickly for you. My pacing wires didn't come out until the day I went home (day 5) or maybe the day before...It's already becoming a blur at 4 weeks. Those drain tubes are the biggest pain; you will feel so much better when those come out! Hope it's soon! Keep up the good work!

Good to hear you are doing great, Vadim. I was in great shape when I went in for surgery, too, so I was able to start lifting weights at 3 mos. post op, but obviously not lifting heavy. I was very careful & gradual, until around 6 mos. I let it rip. So far no probs & my strength is returning fast. Best of luck!

Day 3 over here and I'll be checking out at noon. Chest tubes are out, surgeon gave an all clear. I will post more details from home.

Vadim

PS I can hear the ticking.

Vadim - Wow, you continue to amaze. Now, 3 days is not completely unheard of based on more than a few other members here, but certainly is as good as it gets. If you don't believe us, The Society of Thoracic Surgeons actually maintains a database, and in 2010, the national average for hospital stay after AVR was 7.8 days!

You know, between the play by play your wife shared, and your continued success, this thread should really be a must-read for new members.

Day 3 over here and I'll be checking out at noon. Chest tubes are out, surgeon gave an all clear. I will post more details from home.

Vadim

PS I can hear the ticking.

That's Great News. I am still getting used to the ticking myself. For the most part I don't hear it anymore.

That is great news! I agree...don't push yourself. Hmmm....day 3 I was justed being moved out of ICU! You are a rockstar.

Don't forget the drill to eat, walk and rest. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Hi Vadim,

New guy here I just joined the forum. Found it while sitting around at home recovering from valve and aortic root replacement. I had my surgery on March 20th at the Kaiser hospital in San Francisco. I was going to say that I hoped your recovery goes as good as mine but you would have to slow down for that. Glad to hear that your kicking butt. Like you, I'm already trying to figure out when I can get back in the gym. Not sure that I'll ever see my 300 lb bench again but as long as I can get myself feeling strong again I'll be happy with that. It sure does seem that starting out in good shapw helps the recovery. But don't push it buddy cuz it will catch up with you.

Take care and get some rest.

Gary

Thanks all for the kind words. You guys have been my online family and support group. Everything that you told me prepared me for everything that has happened. I have lots of thanks to give and that post is coming pretty soon. Also, everything that happened was me reacting to what I anticipated. Again, all due to your conversations, messages, and phone calls, as well as my reading books that you have recommended.

We're home now. Just had proper lunch and about to take a nap. If that's not awesome, I'm not sure what is. ;)

Back