The old members

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been in and out of this forum since may of 2008. It sure helped me with my questions as a newbie back in 2008. I have been in the waiting room since then. Friday I got word that it is time to schedule the surgery so now the anxiety starts again! so i am sure that I will be back more often as the whole heart thing is back front and center.

I joined in 2001 about six months after my AVR.

The site was a great help to me for the first few years, helping me get through my recovery and other adjustments in my life. Made some good friends here, and unfortunately lost many of them over the years.

Over time I eventually drifted away for a variety of reasons, and just drop in here on rare occasions now.

Quite frankly, I haven't made a real effort to keep up on the medical developments over the past 17 years, and don't know how helpful or relevant my comments would be any more.

Being on Coumadin/Warfarin for 17 years has been a pretty much a non-issue. One of my fears was the long-term effect on my liver function, but my doc monitors it regularly and so far, so good. I've gotten pretty good at giving myself Lovenox injections when I had to go off Warfarin for any invasive procedures. The biggest challenge/hassle has been dealing with uneducated/ignorant healthcare professionals who don't know squat about anti-coagulation therapy.

As a bit of an update, over the past couple of years I had developed an AV block, which eventually developed into Bradycardia early last year. I ended up getting a pacemaker this past April. After going through AVR, it wasn't really a big deal getting the pacemaker: One night in the hospital and then home.

At 64, I'm blessed to have no medical limitations on my activities. Had to give up triathlons a couple of years ago due to chronic knee problems, but have transitioned into a full-time Masters swimmer. I get up and swim 5-6 days per week and compete regularly.

Thanks to Hank and God bless you all.
Mark

Reactions: Amy
Hi, Mark!

I remember many of your posts back when I first joined. I was in The Waiting Room for a long time, and as a recreational athlete, your posts about activities after surgery helped me immensely. You helped me to realize that valve surgery was not the end of the active portion of my life. I have continued my fitness activities as well, although my knees nixed any running a few years ago, so now I am reduced to either an elliptical machine or power-walking. Either way, you and others of the era, helped me to realize that life can go on, even after valve surgery.

It is great to "see" you again. Thanks for stopping by.

When I left a few years ago, I was in financial straights and let go of landline and internet. Came back a few years ago and try to be here when I can. I have been associated with this site for a number of years before I had my second bypass and aortic valve replacement. This place has never been boring and we share the experiences and advice. I will not leave this time around. I love the people and love giving advice. Everyone have a great day. Hugs for today. :)

Hello...had actually lost track and came on line to see if a steroid injection was going to affect my INR numbers and googled and lo and behold, up came this forum. I said that is the forum that the folks helped me thru my VR back in 2006. Yes, still around and 86 years old now and the doctor says I am in pretty god shape for the shape I am in. lol. Just had a steroid injection by an orthopedic doctor today and forgot to ask about the effects. I guess I was only thinking about what it was going to do to my sugar....being diabetic.

Latest posts

Back