The numbers game

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. After some deliberation with the surgeon, family and friends I'm planning on having a minimally invasive (Mini Sternotomy) to replace my stenotic bicuspid aortic valve and ascending aorta. I'm going bio with the Edwards Inspiris Resilia. The surgeons consultation notes the following numbers:

- Mortality Risk in the region of 1-2%
- Stroke risk 1-2%
- Risks from bleeding, infection and need for pacemaker around 3%
- Risk of conversion from minimally invasive to sternotomy 10%

Do these types of numbers / risks seem familiar with members of this forum of course I'd like the risk to be zero but that is of course unrealistic. Thanks all.

Looking at my wife's notes from our surgeon (Dr. Lars Svensson, Cleveland Clinic) a month ago, she wrote:
0.5 - 1% - risk of death during surgery
2% - risk of needing a pacemaker
He did mention the risk of stroke and believe he provided the same 1 -2% that you mention.

I had the same surgery as you will be having, though I did select the On-X mechanical valve after we had a discussion about it and the Inspiris. I did get a mini (better term: hemi) sternotomy which I was thrilled to get.

My two cents: Please don't spend too much time on being concerned with these numbers. IF you have selected an excellent surgeon, hospital and valve (the Inspiris is a very good one - but at age 52, I believed more in a mechanical valve for my goal of a 'one and done' for surgery) then know that is all that you can control. Know that this surgery is needed - without it, the risk of mortality is 100%. Be both confident and positive. You're going to do great!

Hello all. After some deliberation with the surgeon, family and friends I'm planning on having a minimally invasive (Mini Sternotomy) to replace my stenotic bicuspid aortic valve and ascending aorta. I'm going bio with the Edwards Inspiris Resilia. The surgeons consultation notes the following numbers:

- Stroke risk 1-2%

Do these types of numbers / risks seem familiar with members of this forum of course I'd like the risk to be zero but that is of course unrealistic. Thanks all.

Best of luck with your surgery! Please keep on posted. Do you have a date set yet?

The mortality and stroke risk have been addressed in many previous posts and your docs numbers are in line with those previous posts. I can't recall seeing much posted regarding your last two issues.

FWIW, my only concern in 1967 was the mortality risk and my surgeon gave me a 7%-10% chance of a bad result (death?).........so that risk has been all but eliminated. In fact, you may be at greater risk in just traveling to the surgical center. Gook luck to you.

- Stroke risk 1-2%

You have a plan. I’m guessing that you also have a date. Best wishes. After some time, you will get back to “normal”. You will hopefully be healthier, fitter and taking things less for granted than if the valve problem didn’t occur.

....so that risk has been all but eliminated.
1626039404670.png

;-)

I would agree with Bill and Pellicle to not spend much time worrying about those numbers. The rate of survival is excellent for the operation that you face. Believe that you will wake up on the other side and look forward to it. There is something that can be very satisfying about the healing process and you can look forward to feeling good about each incremental improvement that comes day by day and week by week of recovery.

With each little victory in recovery, you want to celebrate and be like this: 😀

Last edited:
Congrats on making a decision. That can be the hardest part. As far as statistics, the risk of operation is lower than the risk of keeping your native valve. That’s the only risk that really matters.

Now it’s time all the getting ready for surgery and planning recovery threads! Any questions, as always, feel free to ask. A mini should help with the biggest challenge, which is recovering from being sawed open. 👍

Latest posts

Back