the futility (and pointlessness) of worrying about diet WRT INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha,
let's put it another way. Suppose the correct INR range is 2.5 to 3.5. Blood tested at 5.0. So how much high Vitamin K containing food would it take to return INR where it should be.
Me thinks it would take days and more food than one would care to eat.
That's how I feel when hearing patients think they have to diet avoiding healthy foods that are needed in a healthy diet.

Lance

I confess that I'm lost .... in your earlier post you seemed to be suggesting that my view that it was pointless worrying about foods influencing your INR much then you raise this point:

lance;n880279 said:
let's put it another way. Suppose the correct INR range is 2.5 to 3.5. Blood tested at 5.0. So how much high Vitamin K containing food would it take to return INR where it should be.
Me thinks it would take days and more food than one would care to eat.

which seems to exactly coincide with the view I expressed which you implied was some sort of deluded bubble of mine.

More interesting is that the post directly above yours was this: (link) which made the point that (working with the Gym Guy) he had to eat 24 hours consumed - 1000g of fresh spinach

which exactly supports your above assertion : that it would be more food than one would care to eat.

More pertinent is that to achieve his drop in INR from 2.6 to just over 1 GymGuy also had to discontinue warfarin.

You then conclude this post with a statement which coincidences with my original post:
That's how I feel when hearing patients think they have to diet avoiding healthy foods that are needed in a healthy diet.

So you seem to be sitting on the fence throwing rocks at both sides ... may I ask you to clarify what your point is?

One mantra I've read here a few times that has stuck in my head is

" dose the diet",

alius modus ponendi - adjust dose if needed on the INR reading,

not on what you've eaten or if your gum is bleeding or you have a bruise

pellicle;n880281 said:
Lance

I confess that I'm lost .... in your earlier post you seemed to be suggesting that my view that it was pointless worrying about foods influencing your INR much then you raise this point:

which seems to exactly coincide with the view I expressed which you implied was some sort of deluded bubble of mine.

More interesting is that the post directly above yours was this: (link) which made the point that (working with the Gym Guy) he had to eat 24 hours consumed - 1000g of fresh spinach

which exactly supports your above assertion : that it would be more food than one would care to eat.

More pertinent is that to achieve his drop in INR from 2.6 to just over 1 GymGuy also had to discontinue warfarin.

You then conclude this post with a statement which coincidences with my original post:

So you seem to be sitting on the fence throwing rocks at both sides ... may I ask you to clarify what your point is?

Well I certainly know how to post and be misunderstood.
I don't believe food consumed affects INR, actually I barely think about it. Because I like dried ginger somewhere I read ginger would affect INR, just thought it was interesting and amusing and continued eating it when I felt like it.
Whether or not it increases, decreases INR I couldn't care less about.
not sitting on the fence, certainly not throwing rocks and that's it.
To make myself absolutely clear--I don't believe Vitamin K containing foods, when eaten as part of a well balanced diet affects INR up or down. As a matter of fact I take 100 mcg of Viitamin K capsules daily.
sorry for the confusion.

Latest posts

Back