The Big Calendar Entry

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TellTaleHeart , no doubt you'll feel crap for a while, but within a few weeks you'll notice daily improvement (from the surgical injuries) and then notice the week on week improvement.

Keep up the walking and you'll be right

It’s real; got scheduled for the end of September. Time to let the realistic hopes beat the snot out of the unrealistic fears! 🎭
I'm scheduled for 9/27 I all done worrying, did tons of research and got alot of great feedback from this group, I feel good about that day ,just keep positive ,it will all work out!¡!!!!!!!

I'm scheduled for 9/27 I all done worrying, did tons of research and got alot of great feedback from this group, I feel good about that day ,just keep positive ,it will all work out!¡!!!!!!!
Same back atcha, G. We’re lucky to have some premiere hospitals and surgeons in the vicinity. MGH for me as well.

It’s real; got scheduled for the end of September. Time to let the realistic hopes beat the snot out of the unrealistic fears! 🎭

Best of luck with your operation. You are going in with the right attitute. I would echo the others who have encouraged you to walk a lot before and after surgery in recovery. Also, very important to use the breathing device with the ball several times per day. They will give you a schedule and it will seem like you are using it a lot the first week of recovery, but it is very important to help the lungs re-expand, as they are collapsed for the surgery.

“Also, very important to use the breathing device with the ball several times per day. They will give you a schedule and it will seem like you are using it a lot the first week of recovery, but it is very important to help the lungs re-expand, as they are collapsed for the surgery.”

Thanks Chuck, for the good advice. I’ll feel better knowing that when my wife is yelling “Blowhard” at me, she’s encouraging me and not describing me!🥳

Throw my well wishes in here too. Recommend to beg, borrow, or steal a good reclining chair if you don’t have one already. I haven’t had a chance to follow your story yet, so not sure what you have or have not been told. But anything you can do now to set up your home for a smooth recovery is just bonus!

Oh yeah, and it’s an inhale exercising apparatus, so if your wife tells you, “You suck!”, take it as a compliment!

Last edited:
Throw my well wishes in here too. Recommend to beg, borrow, or steal a good reclining chair if you don’t have one already. I haven’t had a chance to follow your story yet, so not sure what you have or have not been told. But anything you can do now to set up your home for a smooth recovery is just bonus!

Oh yeah, and it’s an inhale exercising apparatus, so if your wife tells you, “You suck!”, take it as a compliment!
Thanks, she’s given me many compliments over the years😄

COVID test today, AVR surgery Wednesday. Actually looking forward to it -well, looking forward to a few months from now anyways. Surprisingly calm, with much of the credit for that going to this forum. I’ve opted for the Inspiris Resilia bovine, optimistic that it’s unproven longevity will suit the needs of this 68 year-old heart. My surgeon at Mass General supports that decision. Got confirmation from my insurance company that when I awaken post surgery, the bill won’t kill me😅. To borrow from an old Seinfeld episode, “Serenity now!”
I wanted to share a link to a YouTube series of 4 videos made by a self-described “Heart Ambassador” volunteer at a U.S. hospital. I suspect there are plenty of these out there, but this guy’s soothing manner while explaining the OHS process I personally found informative and comforting. It’s titled “A Heartbeat Away 4U”

Ok, it’s done. New Inspiris Resilia bovine aortic valve and a Dacron ascending aorta. Home for 4 nights. Whew!
Learned so far (in no order):
I will never ever sleep comfortably on my back.
Hallucinations immediately post-surgery can happen, like the rat-sized mechanical cockroach I was sure I saw in CSICU.
Hospital food tastes even worse right after surgery.
Some nurses are on the ladder to sainthood.
I don’t know when it will happen, but that first solid 6+ hour sleep is going to be transplendant.
Bidet toilet seat attachments are a wonderful thing.
Every time I rise from a seated position to standing using legs only, I am doubtful I can do it. Then I do it. Easily. And doubt myself again the next time.
Eveytime I forget myself and use my arms the wrong way I am certain I just ruined everything.
I will never ever sleep comfortably on my back.

Welcome to the other side! Wishing you a speedy recovery. There is always a few bumps along the way (like sleeping comfortably) but October 1st was my 6 month mark, and honestly I feel really good. Enjoying exercise, enjoying life. Wishing you the same.

Latest posts

Back