The Best Year of my Life

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I'm glad you mentioned my aorta. Something about valves, they get all the attention. I hardly even mentioned the real life saver: my Gelweave graft. Gelweave: a gelatin protein impregnated woven polyester. Doesn't sound nearly as interesting as a bovine pericardial valve. Well, I did a little research a while back, and guess what: according to specifications from Vascutek, maker of Gelweave grafts, the gelatin is manufactured from certain animals native to, and exclusively raised in Australia, due to Australia having the "most favorable level 1 rating in relation to BSE risk". What is BSE? Mad cow disease.

So, cow valve, cow graft, and not only that, cow insulin as a child!

You know, I'm glad you mentioned my aorta. Something about valves, they get all the attention. I hardly even mentioned the real life saver: my Gelweave graft. Gelweave: a gelatin protein impregnated woven polyester. Doesn't sound nearly as interesting as a bovine pericardial valve. Well, I did a little research a while back, and guess what: according to specifications from Vascutek, maker of Gelweave grafts, the gelatin is manufactured from certain animals native to, and exclusively raised in Australia, due to Australia having the "most favorable level 1 rating in relation to BSE risk". What is BSE? Mad cow disease.

So, cow valve, cow graft, and not only that, cow insulin as a child!

Maybe because it is a valve site? lol Interesting about the gelweave and your continueing relationship to cows

So you are a certain % cow, for sure! Time to switch to bison.

Indeed, and already switched. We here in Atlanta are lucky, thanks to 'ole Ted, it is a virtual bison metropolis. Add in the Whole Foods surge, and bison is everywhere. Plus, if ever there's a meat for heart patients, bison is the perfect choice: extremely lowfat and high in iron. Now if only the prices would stop skyrocketing...

Wow. I just read your first post for the first time. Happy 1st and then some. I like you write up and it was not very long at all, matter of fact, I like your writing style so it was quite fun to read.

Wow. I just read your first post for the first time. Happy 1st and then some. I like you write up and it was not very long at all, matter of fact, I like your writing style so it was quite fun to read.

Me too! I enjoyed reading your good news. Your writing style kept me going on. You should consider writing.

Many happy and healthy returns :)

Thanks Vadim and Eva, very nice to hear. I have actually considered writing, Eva, but I've unfortunately always been my own worst editor, just never can stop changing things. So for now, working in another creative field, but something finite enough to help pay the bills. One day, though, hope to make writing a semi-retirement adventure.

Thanks Vadim and Eva, very nice to hear. I have actually considered writing, Eva, but I've unfortunately always been my own worst editor, just never can stop changing things. ..........

I sometimes felt bad because I too keep changing things all the time, until a friend told me "this is a sign of being alive and creative"!! :D

I sometimes felt bad because I too keep changing things all the time, until a friend told me "this is a sign of being alive and creative"!! :D

Yes, and as I've been observing the last few years, it's also what kids do! No project ever complete...always transforming.

Latest posts

Back