The best heart surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JudithD23

How do you find the best heart surgeon? And, what's the definition of "the best heart surgeon"? What are the variables we need to consider?

Certainly:

1. Mortality/morbidity?
2. Number of surgeries specific to your condition?
3. Hospital rating?

I know there are a lot more variables, but what's considered a good percentage to #1 above and how many surgeries per year for number 2 above?

I would like to know what variables to consider and how important each one is in relation to the others.

So if you could all help, that would be great, probably for all of us looking forward to the surgeon/hospital search.

We're fortunate enough to have the funds to travel if that's absolutely critical. So what do you all think? Thanks,

Judith

I'd echo what was said earlier about choosing a surgeon who is not only competent in the procedure you are considering, but also does ALOT of them. That's one of the benefits of going to a larger medical center where the patient volume is higher. I figure that for them, this is as routine as say, an appendectomy would be for another surgeon. Of course, it's YOUR heart and YOUR body, but there is some comfort in knowing that for them, it's something they do freguently. At the same time, you also have to feel some rapport with the surgeon. Just because they're technically competent doesn't mean they're human, and I'm sure there are many on the list who would echo this. You have to feel comfortable talking to them and hopefully get the feeling that they see you as more than another warm body on the table. Despite Louisville having a good heart surgery facility, I chose to go to Cleveland Clinic, mostly because they were familiar with my type of complicated history and I felt like they were able to consider the big picture and not just that I needed AVR. While I didn't see much of my surgeon after surgery, I did see his fellow and his NP, so I knew he was keeping track of things.
Carolyn

In my opinion, the best way to find a surgeon is through your Cardiologist. Your Cardio should know your case best with regards to the exact procedure you need done, possible complicating factors, and what is available. They should also have the easiest time getting in contact with that surgeon. That said, if your Cardio just seems to push you to surgeon that is the closest geographically, I would use the advice above to start shopping on your own.

BTW, pretty much everyone on this site (including myself) is convinced that they saw the "best" surgeon, so we're probably not the best bunch to ask. :D

Hi Judith.

My dad had his first 2 aortic valve replacements (with tissue in his 30s and 50s) with Dr. Bruce Reitz from Stanford in Palo Alto. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Reitz. From what I read and experienced through my dad, he's really top notch.

My dad had a 3rd surgery at 62 but went with a different doctor because his insurance changed, otherwise he would have gone back to Dr. Reitz. My dad now has a mechanical st. jude valve and is doing well. It took him (and me) a while to get used to the coumadin but it's becoming less of a major issue as time goes by.

By the way, Dr. Richard Richter from Kaiser SF performed by dad's 3rd surgery and he did a great job as well.

I am mentioning these specific doctors because they are relatively close to you.

You can pm me with any questions.

Take care.
Jennie

Thanks so much, again. I'm learning quite a bit about AVR and I know my husband is thankful, and it's all because of this site and your generous contribution of time and information.

I'll definitely check out Drs. Reitz and Miller, both at Stanford. That's certainly a doable distance for us. And Drs in the LA area too.

Thanks, Judith

JudithD23 said:
How do you find the best heart surgeon? And, what's the definition of "the best heart surgeon"? What are the variables we need to consider?

Certainly:

1. Mortality/morbidity?
2. Number of surgeries specific to your condition?
3. Hospital rating?

I know there are a lot more variables, but what's considered a good percentage to #1 above and how many surgeries per year for number 2 above?

I would like to know what variables to consider and how important each one is in relation to the others.

So if you could all help, that would be great, probably for all of us looking forward to the surgeon/hospital search.

We're fortunate enough to have the funds to travel if that's absolutely critical. So what do you all think? Thanks,

Judith

It would help to know about what you are looking for.

Is this a First Time surgery or Re-Do?

Re-Do's are more difficult so you want a surgeon with experience dealing with Scar Tissue.

I suggest starting with your Cardiologist, then ask around (including on VR.com) for names of surgeons who specialize in the procedure you need.

You might be surprised at how much you can learn just calling the Office Number of Surgeons you are interested in learning about. Some may even call you back personally (usually after you send them some supporting documentation such as Test Results (Echo's, Cath's, CT's etc) and /or schedule an appointment to discuss your needs. MANY of our members have had success with Self Referals. It helps to display an understanding of your condition and the treatment options.

'AL Capshaw'

Something I would toss into the mix here:

After I woke up from the surgery and realized that the procedure was a success and that I was okay, I was glad I had asked my surgeon what his infection rate was (less than 1%).

Infection rate has to do with procedure and follow through of the institution but I think a portion of success rests on the technique the surgeon uses.

Just a consideration.

Mark

I was happy to go with the surgeon my Cardio recommended (we dont have a huge choice here anyway). I was and still am confident with his ability, he was definately the right surgeon for me...

The mortality/morbidity rates alone do not reflect how proficient a surgeon is.
The rates may be high in a circumstance where the surgeon is capable and has expertise but he is intervening in high risk patients that other surgeons will not even attempt. In other words, a surgeon may actually have a high rate, not due to poor surgical capabilities but because he is proficient to attempt the delicate and higher risk surgeries that others would not attempt. I am not sure how one would secure such statistics, but I would think that one has to consider what the premorbid state of that surgeons patients are. But I do agree, that it would be something to ponder.

Secondly, the hospital ratings are a 'nice' statistic to look at. It was reassuring that medical center where my surgery was performed was rated as the sixth best cardiac facility in the nation, but that didnt help if my surgeon was not capable. It is, however, part of the equation.

The number of surgeries specific to your condition is probably, in my mind, the foremost and paramount importance. As the previous notes suggest, the more experienced surgical team that you can find, the better. Simply being a cardiothoracic surgeon doesnt imply that he/she can expertly do it all especially when it comes the the aorta. Seek out a reputable physician who has done many of the procedures that you need to have done.

Many here on VR can suggest who have had good experiences with their docs. Communication is also an important factor. (the doc, the office and his personal, post op visits,ect). I found that googling you surgeon will often bring that surgeon CV up for review if he well known enough (mayo clinic, cleveland clinic, baylor, ect) and you can follow how and where he was trained, and sometimes, who trained him. Lastly, as silly as it may sound, it was just a solid "feeling" I had when I talked to the surgeon who did my surgery. It just felt right. I thought that, after my conversation with him, that if he were called to come in to see in the middle of night in ICU after my surgery that he would get out of bed and be there.
Dont know if this helped at all, but I do hope all goes well for you

Back