That time of year again: Open Enrollment

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

Comparing all the new rates for different health insurance plans and reading all the fine print for costs, while weighing the what if scenarios. Every year it's the same crazy increases! Anyhow, a couple questions about what some things cost so I can add up against deductibles. How much do some folks pay for things like home INR testing supplies? Or what does Coumadin cost without an Rx plan? Every time I think I've covered all the what ifs, I remember all it takes is one CT scan to topple my strategy to find a lower premium.

Are you on Medicare or regular insurance? I am on Medicare and find my share of health cost, including premiums, very affordable. If you are on regular insurance......good luck! BTW, if you are on Medicare, look into a Medicare Advantage plan. I've had that coverage for the past several years and love it!

My out of pocket price of warfarin is right at 15.00 per 100. Had to bridge with Lovenox and was 173.00 per week. I do not test at home yet so coumadin clinic for testing costs 104.00 per month. My last ct scan was 1,788.00(not sure if that was all inclusive or separate for someone to read it) I also have trouble keeping my hemoglobin numbers up so had to enter via the ER for transfusion---stayed about 6 hours and was about 4,000.00. (having trouble posting so hope I can preview and if not I at least hope you can understand this) Oh and btw.....the ct scan I quoted came with an ER visit also and was over 8000.00. My premium is 2000.00 per month and a 6,500.00 deductible. That means out of pocket is 30,500.00 before insurance pays anything. So glad it is so "affordable"

Private insurance - I pay 101 per month for home testing. I just had an echo but don't have bill yet. I think I paid close to $2k for ct scan. Coumadin is $30 for 90 days.

interesting:
I pay 101 per month for home testing
While I pay $160 for a 24 strip bottle (which is about 7 bucks a test) which is a total out of pocket of less than $30 per month for just doing it myself. (and I don't have any arguments with the testing agent ;-)

Sounds like my insurance is pretty good. Well, I know it's great coverage. I just feel kicked in the gutt every year when the premium shoots up. I pay about $10 for three months of Coumadin. Testing supplies and meter are given to me at zero charge, Dick my policy is straight Blue Cross, no Medicare, no Obamacare subsidy. Price is going to $610 a month this year. If I move to the next county north where I want to live that same policy is $740 a month, even though it's the exact same network of providers I use now. I get some people pay even more, but as a single guy this a big hit on my budget. Jwinter your insurance doesn't sound like insurance at all! If I paid that much I wouldn't see the need to pay at all!

I spoke too soon. Actually I checked the rates too soon... the 2018 rates just came out on the 4th I guess. My new rate will go from $585 a month (current premium) to $704 a month for the same coverage.

Latest posts

Back