Thanks to you all. Surgery tomorrow early. Ready, Willing and Able.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GordoAVR

I have been on this site many weeks lurking in the background; and although, I have not posted anything previously; I wanted to take the opportunity to thank others for sharing their experience, strength and hope.

We are a tribe of sorts, and that has gone a long way to making me comfortable about the whole process. Thanks, Gordo

PS. I will post next in the Post Op section.

Gordo, like you, I've been lurking for some weeks. My surgery will happen in 9 days; getting ready to post that to the forum. Be of good cheer!!!! I truly believe that we'll feel so much better, and very soon, compared the length of time that has so slowly been stolen from us. Let us know how the other side looks . . . can't wait to hear!

Bon voyage to each of you!
Take your surgery in stride, do what the doctors say, get plenty of rest, walk, eat well, do your breathing exercises and you'll be fine.
Before you know it, you'll be back to your "normal" life, doing just fine.
Been there, done that -- now 8 years post-op.

I have been on this site many weeks lurking in the background; and although, I have not posted anything previously; I wanted to take the opportunity to thank others for sharing their experience, strength and hope.

We are a tribe of sorts, and that has gone a long way to making me comfortable about the whole process. Thanks, Gordo

Got get em'! I had my surgery 11 days ago. It can be tough but it can be done, hoping for quick and easy transition for you. See you on the other side.

IT wiil be much easier than you think. As soon as you can WALK_WALK_WALK ---IT will really make a diffrence, and you will know it ,even before your release date.

WELCOME TO OUR OHS FAMILY

Godspeed Gord looking forward to new posts post op

Hi Gordo,

Best wishes for your surgery. Hopefully, everything goes smooth. Looking forward to hear your experiences as you transition to the otherside of the mountain.

Follow up to AVR at three weeks. Everything went without complications. Woke up w/ no ventilator. First night was hard, tubes, wires, etc., no sleep, time warp, drugged up big time. The next few days were uncomfortable, especially chest pains when cough or movement. Up and walking on the second day post op. Felt so much better to be able to walk around... even if it took an entourage of a nurse and an orderly to move equipment w/me.

Most tubes out in three days post op. Left hospital on the fifth day post op.

Have been at home now for twenty days w/o any problems. Currently am walking twice per day about 20 minutes each. Most obvious change to most people who see me say that the color has returned to my complexion.

Sternum cut still sore, however, I am on Loritabs 500x4 per day, and there is no pain while medicated. Higher heart rate than pre op: 80-90 vs 60-75 bpm. Otherwise no other metrics are out of bounds. Blood pressure dropped from pre op to post op. 150/80 down to 120/75.

So far I am very happy with the results of this surgery. The surgeon said the removed aortic valve was completely shot adding he could not understand why my symptoms were not more severe than simple fatigue.

For those of you who get scared because they read horror stories of surgeries gone bad, stick this one in the other column of surgeries gone well and a recovery w/o any major setback (knock on wood ;-)

Gordo,

Great news. I am due to an AVR in a couple of months and it's good to read about such a smooth surgery. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Dan

Gordo,
So glad to hear that everything is going smoothly for you. I too had a bump free recovery, so take heart all you future valvers there is a light at the end of the tunnel (and it isn't a train, although it will feel like one hit you at first). :)

I believe the key to an early and trouble free recovery is walking as soon as possible. Sitting upright on the edge of the bed, standing, and then walking is the single best thing a patient can do for himself to prevent fluid in the lungs and pneumonia.

Being attached to the IV's, tubes and data monitors was a good reason to avoid getting out of bed. Heck, I could hardly move, let alone walk down the hallway. One of my nurses was instrumental in getting me going. She said, "I will give you all the pain meds you need to get past the pain, but you need to motivate yourself to get up and get going." I thought the pain would be overwhelming; but she was right, the pain was controlled, and I could walk through it. She and an orderly collected all my stuff and we rolled down the hall looking like a cyborg prototype.

After the first ten minute walk I felt like a different person. For myself, walking began the recovery process, and I could control when and how long I walked. From that point onward I was motivated to walk; because I saw that as the key to early recovery, and getting out of the hospital.

Back