Thanks to all the oldtimers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybunny

I found this forum about 3 weeks ago and it has been a wonderful resource of information, tips, and encouragement. I want to thank all of you who have been through surgery and continue to share your experience and feedback on these threads. I'm not as anxious as I was when I first joined thanks to all your personal stories (special thanks to Paleogirl). You could have riden off into the sunset without looking back but instead continue to give of yourselves to make things easier for us who follow. God bless you.

Michele

I think most of us remember how we felt pre-surgery and hope to help others with support and information. I'm glad you have found that with VR, and although I haven't posted to any of your threads, I wish you all the best going forward. Mary

I'm one of the oldtimers and I stay around this site as much for "selfish" reasons as "selfless" reasons. It's amazing what I learn about living with an artificial valve. Information that is readily available on this site is invaluable to the oldtimer and newtimer alike in taking a lot of fear, anxiety and ignorance out of living pre and post surgery. The modern medical profession does a terrific job in "fixing" the body.....but they often fall very short in post surgery concerns and questions........that's where sites like VR.com help. Glad you get help from this site. I know I do.

Last edited:
Another reason many of us stay around is that even though we've weathered the storms of valve surgery, that doesn't mean that we will never have any future issues or complications. Others still help us, too. The friendly give-and-take here makes it just a great place to be.

Thanks for joining us.

Before my surgery this site was my Friday night routine, with a glass of wine. Both helped calm my nerves after a week of worrying, and helped me relax and enjoy the weekend. The anxiety & the terror & the helplessness all combine for a miserable attitude, so anything that helped, even a little, was very welcome. As much as I'd like to forget all of it, there's a part of me that thinks I might be able to help someone else, kind of "pass it on," because I, too, am so thankful and grateful for all the awesome people who keep coming back here!
-Meredith

I come on here everyday. Who knows what question or worries someone may have that I might be able to offer a few words about. I joined this forum several years before my AVR and I think I'll be staying here for many more years. Once you've had an AVR you're also never going to be in the complete clear, so both from the point of view of being supportive to others and helpful for oneself it is a wonderful resourse and very supportive forum.

Hi Everyone:

I have been reading and absorbing your words of wisdom since I was diagnosed with BAV. My story began in 02/2015 originally diagnosed with BAV, w/regurgitation. Local Cardio advised to wait and monitor at 6mo interval ecos.From 02/15-05/15 regurgitation went from mild to severe, as my condition rapidly worsened. On 6/2/15 OHS w/MHV. Full sternotomy went textbook and the original BAV was found to be Aortic Valve Prolapse with a large cusp whole. At 4wks post op I returned to work and most activities incl driving. At 6wks post op, I am getting stronger and feeling better by the day…feels like full recover is in sight. Inr is stable, within range and I am well on my way to self-monitoring after 3 mos. Almost immediately after my OHS, I no longer felt sick…that feeling my heart was drowning disappeared. Post op pain and discomfort for me became a good pain…the pain associated with recovery and absent of pre-op symptoms….the kind of pain only all of you folks could understand.

In the 4 months that lead to OHS, I consumed as much of your VR posts as I could. All your posts provided me with the most comprehensive and valuable info that I needed to ditch the original Cardio and Surgeons diagnosis, prognosis and recommendations in favor of my choice of direction and outcome. The choice of valve was difficult, agonizing and scary for me. Your posts, experiences and advice became invaluable to me.

My successful OHS and speedy recovery was also in part a direct result of all the critical decision making info I was able to obtain from all your many experiences, comments and advise posted at VR. My wife and I thank all of you from the very bottom of our hearts. Your posts have helped, aided and guided the both of us in ways only all of you could relate to. I could never muster the appropriate words to express my thanks to all of you at VR.

You are all truly amazing and unselfish people that I have come to admire and respect, (you all know who you are). Even after your hearts have remodeled, they remain bigger than ever. I hope that someday, I am able to follow your lead and provide info that may be useful to others.

Enough rambling and sucking up for now…Best regards and a heartfelt thank you for all your help, patience and understanding.

Very Respectfully

Nick

Back