Thank You from Donna

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djacq

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
I want to apologize for being such a lurking ?Lurker? for the past weeks. I have been hit with ?ticker shock? and it took me a long time to come out of denial. I had to assimilate all this info very slowly and painfully before coming out publicly.

I have had a broken ankle that hasn?t healed for a year and went for pre-op testing for a screwing of the bones surgery and flunked due to a loud murmur. Come to find out?.echos etc done 8 yrs ago for a rule out of something else indicated aortic sclerosis but I was NEVER told. Imagine my surprise to see I ?suddenly? had stenosis! And I thought I was having Panic Attacks all summer.

Still have surgery pending on the ankle but feel I have to put it off. Too short of breath now to be on crutches for three weeks and I guess it will be awhile after surgery before my chest is up to handling crutches???

Also, recently diagnosed with osteoporosis (very mild) and put on Evista that seemed to increase my chest pain. I wonder if anyone here is on it and has info? I would like to resume it.

I am now actively preparing for surgery, 12/4 NOT 12/5 as I previously posted?hope I remember to show up on the right day!!! Is this Pre-Surg-Pumphead?!

I just had to express my gratefulness to this group for all the support I obtained from the wealth of information on this site.

_A special thanks to Peter for his research. My husband and I both poured over his information to make a decision on the valve. I was putting in 12-14 hour work days (psych Nurse Manager, working the streets!) and just didn?t have the time for conventional research. We had all the data at hand when we met with the surgeon this week and I feel comfortable that I am an ?educated consumer?.Still have to make the actual decision but am leaning toward the St Judes vs CE PV. Have to remember the surgeon wants my answer soon. So many details!!!!
_Christina was especially helpful in getting me started with the practical things.
_Debby Galvin for her confidence and info with obtaining the Pro Timer.
_Ross for his uplifting sense of humor when I was feeling down about all this. Just seeing his happy face makes me happy.
_Nancy for the lipstick recommendation cause I am not going anywhere without my make-up! Can?t wait to try it.
_Everyone is wonderful, great attitudes, and have given me such a sense of comfort.

I have the most wonderful support but there is nothing like the support you get from someone who has been there.

Thank you from the bottom of my ?broken? heart.

Donna
Pending Surgery 12/4/02
Dr Singh
Rhode Island Hospital

Hello Donna and Welcome!!!

So glad you've joined our merry band. This is truly a wonderful group, one which you will come to rely on more than you realize. I'm Evelyn whose husband, Tyce, had an AVR with the St. Jude's valve last June. He has had absolutely NO complaints with it, except that he says he DEFINITELY hears it ticking away at night and early in the morning when everything is quiet around the house. Our surgeon recommended it when we saw him in June and said it was his valve of choice for AVR surgeries when mechinicals are called for.

I wish you lots of great reading, posts and especially health on this list. You will always get an answer to your questions, and remember, every question is important, whatever it is. I know I certainly had lots of them prior to my husband's surgery!!!

Good luck with your ankle, too. BTW, I am on Evista, not Tyce, and have had absolutely NO problems with it, with an increase in bone density in both hip and ankle.

Welcome aboard.

Evelyn

Donna - crutches would definitely be out for awhile.

I have osteoporosis and have been on Fosamax for some time. You can get the once a week kind - it is to re-build bones. I have no side effects from it. don't know anything about Evista, but you need to be on something. Don't want to lose anymore of those precious bones.

You are a psych nurse mgr? Bless your heart. So much need for this.

I wish you well in your upcoming surgery - it isn't all that far, is it. Guess at holiday time, somebody else can do the preparing, huh? You will be entered in the calendar for your surgery date (Ross, Nancy? can one of you?) and that way everyone will be on top of things.

If you have any questions about what the hosp stay and homecoming is all about, don't hesitate to ask. Many here to help out.

God bless

Hi Donna!
Welcome to this wonderful site. As you already know, the people here are just great! I don't know what I would have done without having the support of this group. I too was found to have aortic regurg just recently. Mine was due to a tear in the aorta. The happened to find mine during a pre-employment physical. I had no symptoms. I found out about the problem in August and had surgery in September to repair the aneurysm and put in a St. Jude's Valve. It all happened so fast and I too took awhile to accept the whole thing. I kept thinking they had to be wrong with the diagnosis. At first they thought I only had the regurg. A second opinion caught the tear, I was very lucky. Once they found the tear, I didn't really have much time to prepare for the surgery. They flew me off to Cleveland and the rest is history. I am now 8 weeks post op and starting to get back into my normal routine. I will be going back to work on Monday. As everyone says here, the worst part is the waiting and anticipating the surgery. Once you are over the mountain and on the other side, it does get easier. In the meantime, lean on us all here. We have all been there in one way or another and will help out any way we can. Ask any questions you have. I have asked tons, before and after surgery. Keep us all informed on how you are doing and I will definately be thinking of you on December 5th. Everything will be just fine. See you on the other side of that mountain.

Take Care and Good Luck!
Gail

Welcome Donna

Welcome Donna

Glad you came on board. You will soon begin to feel right at home....You will do just fine with your surgery...Read all the Pre and post threads..I am 8 months post op with a St. Jude's. I too hear my clicking but you can drown it out with a fan, water fountains, ect. in bedroom. NEVER hear it during the day. Be sure and post Pre-surgery for anything you need to ask...Bonnie

hi donna!
welcome to this wonderful place. i truly feel that i could not have made it through
my husband, joey's, surgery without everyone here. they really gave me the strength and supposrt i needed (pre and post surgery).
i'm sorry you have to go through this along with your ankle and the osteo, but before you know it this will be behind you and you will be on your way to recovery. gail is right, the worst part seems to be the waiting period before the actual surgery_ the time to anticipate and think about it.
please come in and visit during that time and we'll keep you company while you wait.
in the meantime, you will be in our thoughts and prayers on dec.4th.
be well, sylvia

Thank you so much for your thoughts and encouragement. I am feeling very anxious and not all that sure I am really ready for this!!!

I am busy taking care of pre-op details and hope I have covered everything. dentist, lawyer, routine health care.

My moods seem to be up and down, and crazy, reoccurring nightmares that they can't find a bed for me after surgery.

I still haven't even given the surgeon my choice of a valve yet.

My poor husband thought he married a vibrant, healthy,active person two years ago. Little did we know I would fall apart big time so soon!!!

Please keep thinking of me in your thoughts and prayers.

With gratefulness to you all,
Donna

Hi Donna-

This site is great isn't it? So much support and caring. You'll be fine with your surgery and you'll be home surprisingly soon afterwards.

I'm sure your family will be so thrilled when it's all over with and you're home and in safer health.

When you worry about your body falling apart at such a young age, it makes me sad. Our bodies are really just a shell which covers the real essence of what we are. All bodies will fail eventually. No one escapes this life without some adversity physical and emotional. When we fall in love, we fall in love with our minds.

Your husband will love you all the more because you are doing something very brave and will be healthier and stronger as a result. This is lifesaving surgery.

Take care, and I wish you all the best.

Back