Test Strip M-44 Error

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patsman07

I have a Coagucheck INRange device. I haven't used it much in a number of years as my INR was always very steady. Recently I have tried to use it again and have gotten a "M-44 error." I can't seem to find any mention of this in the instruction manual. Does anyone know what it refers to or how to fix it?

according to the manual (just downloaded) anything starting with M is a Maintenance. Amusingly the don't seem to have a list of codes.
1643239941148.png

if you haven't used it in a "number of years" are the batteries flat? Indeed have they leaked and ruined the machine (which I've seen when stuff with cheap alkaline batteries is stored for a number of years)

HTH

Remove the blue lid and clean with a cotton swab and a little alcohol the socket where the tape enters, cleaning that point is the first thing they do at the service. Also see the code on the chip with the box being the same.

The error messages appear on pages 133-145 of the manual. Here is the action recommended for that code:
Capture.JPG

That's not particularly enlightening. Most of the other codes are more specific including battery low, expired strips, incorrect code chip (the meter actually stores the last 5 codes used), etc.
I agree with the suggestion to clean the area under the blue lid as well. It's also possible your strips are for whatever reason (heat, humidity, cold?) no longer sufficiently readable to determine a more specific issue.

By the way there is a Jan-2022 firmware update for the INRange & Vantus model (I have a Vantus). I doubt that helps with your error, but thought you might want to look into it. You could also contact Roche Tech support. The number is 1-800-428-4674.

The error messages appear on pages 133-145 of the manual. Here is the action recommended for that code:
interestingly they don't on the version of the manual I downloaded (frustratingly I have noticed there are a variety of manuals for the XS model I have which have differing levels of detail).
I'll see if I can find another (this one ends at page 148 with French following on from that making a total of 296 pages), but its of little benefit to me as I don't have one of them yet ;-)

Link to Vantus manual. The Vantus model is only sold in the U.S. I don't think there is much difference between Vantus and INRange models, though I have not compared the manuals closely, but the table of contents are nearly identical through pages 99. The Vantus manual has more detail thereafter. They use the same firmware, so I assume most functions are identical.

Hey @RAS , I was reviewing the manual and found this on page 144
1643428261467.png

what the actual phuck? How many tests is that?

My XS has done (at least) 60 tests per year for 10 years and I'm unaware of there being any limit. At over 600 tests my meter amortises to about $1 per test (so less than the strips) ... I'm now curious about how many tests it can do

I'm now curious about how many tests it can do

Yeah that error message is odd. My first thought was that refers to the stored test results limit. In the Vantus device that limit is 400. In the older XS I think it is 300. You're well over both those. Also, I would expect it would just overwrite the older test results once the limit is met. Even if it did not do that, the logical recommended action would be to clear the memory.

So maybe it is a machine life limit, but I don't know why they would have that. Planned obsolescence maybe? Whatever the limit is, I doubt a home user would reach it.

These devices are used in Coumadin clinics where the number of tests per device would be much higher. Years ago when I used a clinic, they were scheduling people every 15 minutes. Based on that a clinic could do max of 8320 tests per year if they completely filled a 5 day by 8 hour schedule. Even if only half that, they rack up 4160 tests per year. The clinic I went to had two devices that I saw, but I don't know if they spread their tests evenly across each or just had a second as a backup.

Typically for either GAAP accounting or cost accounting it would be reasonable to assume a 5 year life for this type of equipment. I would think Roche would set the limit to be at least what would be expected use in a Coumadin clinic for 5 years. So assuming the possible clinic schedule is 50% filled and they evenly spread the tests across 2 devices... 2080 tests/year/device x 5 years = 10,400 tests/device in 5 years. A home user would never get near that number. So I'm not worried about hitting a limit.

This is just speculation. I don't really know.

This is just speculation. I don't really know.
to be honest speculation is all we can really do.

my first thought goes along the direction of "Ink Jet Printer Cartridges" running out early to prevent "users getting a bad experience"

Anyway I personally transcribe the info out of my XS into a sheet and frankly I've never gone back more than 4 or so readings (mostly one or two) if I have a need to double check my numbers.

I look at their graphs on those devices and while pretty they are about as informative as folding my sox.

Hi All, i am having problems locating where to Purchase Roche-Coagucheck LANCETS that come 50/box; my local pharmacies no longer can get them for me for some reason, Any known source where to purchase them online ?, or any other device/lancets that could be used to replace the one that comes with the Coagucheck-Meter ?, thank you all.

i am having problems locating where to Purchase Roche-Coagucheck LANCETS that come 50/box; my local pharmacies no longer can get them for me for some reason,

There are a number of medical products facing supply chain issues. There are some handmade signs that have gone up around the roads in my area saying: "Cash for diabetes test strips"

It might be a good plan for folks to order their test strips and other INR testing supplies a few months ahead of when they normally would to account for unexpected delays.

I have a Coagucheck INRange meter which is unable to read the bar code on the test strip Error M-23.I have tried several different test strips from two different batches. I have put in new batteries, cleaned the white square underneath the blue hatch. This machine is just over 5 years old and done less than 100 tests. I have spoken to several people at Roache and Williams medical. No one can tell me what Error M-23 means what causes it or how it can be remedied. I am very disappointed to find that neither company can offer a maintenance or repair service. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
John.

I have a Coagucheck INRange meter which is unable to read the bar code on the test strip Error M-23.I have tried several different test strips from two different batches. I have put in new batteries, cleaned the white square underneath the blue hatch. This machine is just over 5 years old and done less than 100 tests. I have spoken to several people at Roache and Williams medical. No one can tell me what Error M-23 means what causes it or how it can be remedied. I am very disappointed to find that neither company can offer a maintenance or repair service. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
John.
ok, so you did make sure that the strips and the chip matched?

Why do you mention the bar code? (it doesn't have one, but has a QR code). Are you using XS strips?

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2023/04/pt-test-pst.html
Can you snapshot the screen and post it here? I've searched and can't find M-23

And you're sure you spoke to Roche Diagnostics INR support team? I dunno who Williams medical is, but they're probably just the company distributing them (meaning they'd know less than a hairdresser IMO).

I'm sort of curious how it is you've had the machine 5 years but done less than 100 tests, I guess you test every few weeks or so. When was the last test?

Are your stips expired? I mean they're usually only good for about a year (sometimes I've bought them and had under a year on the dates).

Have you checked if the clock (year and time) are set correctly?
P131
1688041174276.png

Last edited:
D09AF019-260C-43A6-B42B-F4C80897D223.jpeg

The strips and the chip matched , I only had a problem with the last 4 strips out of a batch of 24.
The time and date on the meter are correctly set, The expiry date on the strips is 2023-10-31.
I took the meter to my local hospital and tried using a new batch of strips and matching chip and we got the same error message.
I thank you for your interest. I was told by Roche customer service that that this problem has happened before on meters over 5 years old, that they do not have a repair facility and that I will have to purchase anew machine.

Try if you can a hard reset of the meter by pressing down on the on/off button for 20 seconds and waiting for the meter to power back on.

Thanks for your suggestions. The hard reset didn’t make any difference and I had already downloaded the firmware update. 🤔

Hi

well thanks for the added details ... btw it helps if you at least quote the person because we get a notification (like you did), I sort of think of that as a courtesy to the person who is voluntarily helping you . I had to search to follow this up.

I took the meter to my local hospital and tried using a new batch of strips and matching chip and we got the same error message.
thanks for the picture, that helped.

As an electronics guy I find it frustrating that they call the code on the bottom of the chip a bar code when indeed its more like a Bee Code or a QR code.

Your above test is interesting and shows that the machine does have a problem. Sadly at that age its probably out of warranty. If I was you I'd replace the machine with a used Coaguchek XS (such as I have).

When the INRange was released (I think you must have one of the first production models) my initial thoughts were this:
  • wow, lots of unnecessary fluff on that
  • looks fragile both from the physical and electronic perspective. As a technician of some years experience I felt it would be a quick throw away unit
  • almost nothing on the units new side benefits home users (sorting of multiple patients, connection with a base station to centralise readings with a database)
My first experience with one was trying to help a friend here in Australia who had one. You can find a number of posts here if you search (but that's vexed because of the lack of good and correct key words used in the text by the posters)

I thank you for your interest.

you're welcome.

I was told by Roche customer service that that this problem has happened before on meters over 5 years old, that they do not have a repair facility and that I will have to purchase anew machine.

given its age that response does not surprise me. Also as my nearly last job in electronics (back in 1991) is exemplary of this. We went to a new line of gear that was made in China, had more failures (and yes, we did commercial Nurse Call and Duress alert systems), and could not be repaired by me anymore. I became only an installer. I saw the writing on the wall and left. I went back to Uni and did another degree (I love it when people talk about ongoing education) but as a software engineer instead. That degree lasted (but I digress). My point is that there will be no repair facility for these things now because its only a $500 unit and if its not a board swap or a new battery or a display it'll be dumped and a new unit issued.

For what its worth there are many types of codes, and bar code is a linear (therefore 1D code)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode#Matrix_(2D)_barcodes
The code Roche are using is clearly a 2D code and compared with other 2D codes is **** because it doesn't have a reader guide (those other things which help the machine to see orientation. I've marked these in red below
1688073155355.png

So if you look at your strip, you can see that the code is read right up on the top of the machine, not down at the bottom under the blue cover. Thus if something is blocking your reader (unusual but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) then this will explain your problem.

To inspect that you'll need to try a few things and thus risk destroying your INRange meter.

Let me know if you want to proceed by reaching out in a PM and we can discuss this

Best Wishes

Latest posts

Back