TEE

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtremlee

15 years post op AVR with st Judes. Valve is leaking moderate. Dr did echo today with contrast and has now scheduled me for a TEE. He said the valve is moving side to side? I have never heard of this before. Anyways can anyone tell me what to expect in the morning with the tee.

Hi and welcome

sorry to hear of your misadventure

He said the valve is moving side to side? I have never heard of this before. Anyways can anyone tell me what to expect in the morning with the tee.

Firstly I'd be curious about this situation and ask if the leak is paravalvular (link), what you can expect from the TEE is to get a clearer picture of what's happening and allow the team to develop a better strategy for rectifying the issue. As you'll read in that link there are some known and established treatments available.

Best Wishes

Anyways can anyone tell me what to expect in the morning with the tee.

A TEE has always been our cardiologist's go-to for imaging. She likes them because it gives you a different angle of attack, and from an internal POV, as opposed to through your chest wall.

Before a TEE, I believe you are to be fasting (12 hours or so) since a mild anesthetic is used. You will be hooked up to an IV to receive said anesthetic. Depending on your sensitivity to the sedation they use, you could be awake but relaxed through the entire procedure, or you may be awake but totally unaware of what is happening. The goal is not to put you completely "asleep". Some people remember the procedure, some have no recollection of it after the sedation has run its course. The imaging itself takes about 20-30 minutes if I remember correctly...they will have you drink a numbing liquid minutes prior to them threading the camera down your throat to ease as much of the discomfort as possible. This is the main reason for the hour or two stay in the hospital following. They want that numb to wear off so it isn't dangerous to swallow any liquids or solids. In my experience, our cardiologist ran the testing herself so was able to interpret results immediately, however this is not always the case. All in all, its a pretty relaxed procedure, and the drugs they give you can make you fun to talk to afterwards so whomever has been appointed as your caretaker and driver for the event will have some entertainment.

Best of luck to you and whatever transpires from your TEE. We'll be thinking of you!

Ok so , TEE was a breeze, the valve is in good shape but had two leaks around it which can be repaired!!!! Pellicile you was correct!!!

Yes that is the plan, I will be consulting at the Cleveland Clinic and UAB

I can't say enough good things about Cleveland Clinic. I had Dr. Unai and he was phenomenal. I traveled from Atlanta to them and glad I did.

Latest posts

Back