Tee results say no rerepair.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcar

Just got my Tee results on my mitral valve. I had my mitral valve repaired in August of 2008, its leaking again. I am 64 years old and my doctor says he can't rerepair it as it is in too bad of shape. So replacement is needed. Darn I was hoping to avoid that. Oh well. I am currently not having any symtoms. The only number I remember him giving, was 5.9 enlargement. Now the question which valve? Thank goodness for this site!

Sorry to hear your repair didn't last a wee bit longer, how disappointing. :(

I guess it's time for you to do a bit more research and have a serious think about what sort of valve would be best for you. As you say, there is plenty of info, links and personal opinions on this site so you won't be short of reading material for a while.

Do keep us updated on your surgery, won't you, and don't be afraid to ask any questions you might have. There is such a wealth of personal experience here.

Good luck!

I'm thinking a mechanical valve is for me. Hopefully only doing it once. Anyone had a On-x mitral valve implanted at UCLA?

You going to have Dr. Lacks at UCLA? He is great and has a lot of experience with the On-X valves. I was considering having it done there but I decided to do my surgery at the hospital I work at.

I was told the same after my TEE, that repair would be hard. Sometimes if the valve is too far gone, or as in my case the anterior leaflet is in bad shape, nip and tuck just doesn't work. It's ok : ) Folks here will tell you that managing Coumadin is not a big deal.. I think On-X is a good choice. I don't know why tissue is not that popular for the mitral position. I think the mitral is probably the valve that subjected to the highest pressure ( where did I read that?) that may have something to do with it. All the best!

I was told the same after my TEE, that repair would be hard. Sometimes if the valve is too far gone, or as in my case the anterior leaflet is in bad shape, nip and tuck just doesn't work. It's ok : ) Folks here will tell you that managing Coumadin is not a big deal.. I think On-X is a good choice. I don't know why tissue is not that popular for the mitral position. I think the mitral is probably the valve that subjected to the highest pressure ( where did I read that?) that may have something to do with it. All the best!

I have tissue valve in mitral position and am very happy with my choice,,,,,,,,,, thus far. :)

I'd say go with the tissue valve in the mitral position. 100% of the surgeons I have spoken to agree that tissue is the way to go with the mitral valve. Also consider the fact that within ten years, if the tissue valve goes, you'll have it replaced via catheter and not OHS according to most doctors.

I'd say go with the tissue valve in the mitral position. 100% of the surgeons I have spoken to agree that tissue is the way to go with the mitral valve. Also consider the fact that within ten years, if the tissue valve goes, you'll have it replaced via catheter and not OHS according to most doctors.

That is NOT true for the mitral valve, only for the aortic.

That is NOT true for the mitral valve, only for the aortic.

That is not exactly accurate either. Mitral valves have Not been eliminated from percutaneous replacement according to the cardio thoracic surgeons at Mass General. They started with aortic but mitral valve is also strongly viable.

That is not exactly accurate either. Mitral valves have Not been eliminated from percutaneous replacement according to the cardio thoracic surgeons at Mass General. They started with aortic but mitral valve is also strongly viable.

Actually Pulmonary were first, approved last year in the US, the Aortic will be aproved next, they have been working on the others so who knows what it looks like in 10 years, a couple years ago many doubted the Pulm or Aortic would be apprroved in the next decade or 2.

Interesting comments. Dr. Shemin at UCLA said he would implant the On-X valve. But he was't comfortable with the large opening. So do I go with a surgeon that I'm comfortable with, and a valve that he's not? Or should I talk to Dr. Laks?

I too have a leaking mitral valve after 15 years. I was 55 at the time, I am now 70 years old, I am active, walk from 10-15 miles a week, can do aerobics, dance, etc. My repair was by Davinci robotic surgery, 4 years ago my valve began leaking moderately, it is now moderate to severe. I have moved from Atlanta and am now in Jacksonville; I saw a cardiologist at Mayo Clinic Jacksonville who did an ECHO, a Nuclear stress test and I will be having a TEE soon. From the ECHO, my anterior leaflet is causing the leaking and I was told valve cannot be repaired; it will have to be mechanical. I would like to think the Dr is wrong and the TEE will show I can wait awhile, but I also want to be healthy enough to have the surgery. I want to be able to understand the monitoring of my INR, etc. However, I will dread the surgery. Last time it was the Davinci Robotic minimally invasive, under my right arm. This time either under arm or through chest. Ugh!! Please let me know what to expect and types of valves to research, if I even have a choice. A friend told me with medicare, one must go with the options. Thank you and it's nice to be back on this forum again learning and sharing.

Hi

I had my mitral valve repaired in August of 2008, its leaking again. I am 64 years old and my doctor says he can't rerepair it as it is in too bad of shape. So replacement is needed.

that's not too bad a run, 12 years ... well my advice is to get it replaced and return to enjoying a renewed life. I've done that cycle (with an aortic) 3 times in my life ... so I feel like I've had 3 lives (maybe 4)

Best Wishes

Ask about mitral clips. Might solve your problem and placed via catheter. So far has worked for me for over 4 years. Otherwise I needed a fourth open heart. Two aortic valves and valve plus aneurysm. I too am not a fan of surgery. Placing the clips from my perspective was fantastic.

Thanks Pellicle!!!

Thanks Vitdoc, I will ask about this, but fear it is not an option. I will do whatever it takes though and live my life as healthy as I can!!! As usual, it is the fear of not knowing. The TEE hasn't yet been scheduled. I believe Covid-19 is delaying non-emergency treatments.

Hi

that's not too bad a run, 12 years ... well my advice is to get it replaced and return to enjoying a renewed life. I've done that cycle (with an aortic) 3 times in my life ... so I feel like I've had 3 lives (maybe 4)

Best Wishes

Hi
As usual, it is the fear of not knowing.
its a trap that we all fall into, and I believe an intrinsic part of human nature as a survival mechanism. All we can do is to calm our subconscious with thoughts from the conscious (which does not mean denial of them).

I'm one who has no "faith" of things (if faith means a fantasy of reliance on the unknown), leaning towards the views of the sciences and philosophy.

The philosopher Seneca provides some guidance here
suffering imagine.jpg

as of course Marcus Aurelius
Marcus-Aurelius-Quote-2.jpg

Partly its the desire to control outcomes too ... as this is what we do every day (driving a car, walking down steps, negotiating) ... its important to know what you can and can't control and to see that control is an illusion

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2015/09/denial-or-delusion.html
best wishes

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I got the call yesterday from Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, my TEE is schedule for Dec 3. Once I get the report I will follow up with how my valve is doing and the recommendation. Thank you for posting this. I do want to live a healthy and long life with the best quality I can have!!!

Latest posts

Back