TAVR for St Jude Trifecta replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riorico

Greetings, I had a St Jude Trifecta implant in 2015 and now find myself in need of a replacement due to deterioration. TAVR has been recommended. Anyone had similar? Love St Jude and have been a donor for many years. Am concerned however about reports of defective Trifecta and quality control at St Jude. Just reaching out for possible feedback from you wonderful folks.

Riorico,

Welcome. I had the St. Jude Medical Trifecta GT "installed" in May 2017. In your case certainly not the 10-12 years expected in terms of durability. TAVR is approved under the universal health care systems of Japan (initial operation) and Canada (home country). Difficult to see the downside of TAVR vs. OHS in terms of risk and recovery time. I was 50 at the time of my operation. If the tissue valve only lasted 6 years I would likely elect a mechanical replacement.

As an aside St. Jude was purchased by Abbott in January 2017.

JCG

I'm sorry to read that your AV needs replacement. I have a St. Jude Trifecta that I received in February of 2015 at age 66. As of my last echo about a year ago the valve appeared to be in excellent shape with very low gradients. My surgeon has told me that if I need it TAVR should be available to me barring any unseen complications. My Trifecta is large at 29mm. I wish you good luck!

Reactions: neo
Greetings, I had a St Jude Trifecta ..... Love St Jude and have been a donor for many years. Am concerned however about reports of defective Trifecta and quality control at St Jude. Just reaching out for possible feedback from you wonderful folks.

The SJM that sells heart valves is not the same as the St Jude Children's Hospital - two entirely different entities. I can attest the quality control is superb. Much has been said on this board about tissue valve longevity and at some point you are rolling the dice. I have personally seen a tissue valve last 6 months, and another still going strong at 20 years. Others will come back with statistics that say they last 10-15 years and others will mention all the "newest" breakthroughs. No one will ever be able to say how long valve X will last in you.

Latest posts

Back