Tattoos anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

Has anyone ever asked the question regarding whether it is OK to get a tattoo after surgery? I'm just wondering if the infection risk would be similar to the issues when you go to a dentist after having OHS. This is probably not what I should be worrying about 1 week from surgery, but I had a dream that I let one of my friends (who also happens to be an awesome tattoo artist)give me a tattoo to camouflage my scar...it was sort of a flowering vine twining around the scar. I've never had a tattoo, but I have thought about it...never could come up with something I wouldn't hate in a few years. I think the scar camouflage was a little overboard and would be much to painful, but it got me thinking that a "mended heart" complete with frankenstein-like stitches could be fun if I put it on a little meatier part of my chest. That is something I could be happy with forever!

wow, your recovery must be going very well that you are already thinking about tattoos. but do please post picture when you have it done - LOL...that is a great questions...i was told that I would need to take antibiotics before any type of surgery...I would ask doc about tattoo thinking of high risk of infection, although it is your friend so I am sure the equipment would be sterile.

If tattoos are allowed, especially around the incision scar, I might have a high resolution picture of the heart/aorta (not Valentine's Day type of heart)...although I have a tissue valve, so I don't know if tattoo would get in the way when I need re-op...I will pose the question to my doc now....thanks, Mom2izzy!

thinking about it more, maybe there are oversized tattoos out there that you could use that will eventually wash off. Maybe I will start a chest painting company for exclusive membership of OHS patients. Haha!

My recovery hasn't started yet...my surgery is next Tuesday. What got me started on this train of thought is that he will be back in our home town doing some "artwork" for a few days this week. Obviously won't be able to do mine this time, but he is going to be back again in July! I have to remember to ask my nurse...Have I mentioned that I LOVE my nurse? I feel like she is there just to answer all of my random off-the-wall out-of-the-blue questions. I email her with something new at least once a week.

i bet that is very comforting receiving that level of customer service from your nurse. I experienced the same level of respect and care at Virginia Hospital Center...just another barrier to our fears and anxieties!

Apparently three is some chatter online about this subject.

This seems not to be from any medical authority; don't know that I would trust it, but this person does advise some caution.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Tattoos-3028/2009/2/Tattoo-scar-heart-surgery.htm

Personally I wouldn't want to be stuck with a tattoo whether I had had heart surgery or not. But that's just me. I did like my scar, though -- but, alas, it is fading 7 years later. Maybe I should demand a re-do. :roll eyes:, (not)

Superbob, maybe they could use the tatto ink to darken your scar?

SB42...have you ever seen the tattoos that look like some sort of wild animal ripping out of your skin?...maybe you could do a play on that and have that heart you want tattooed "under" a spread rib cage...looking like it's open for surgery.by the time you need another surgery they will probably be doing it percutaneously or at least in a more minimally invasive way, so that should ease the concerns about interference.

DISCLAIMER: I put this in the small talk forum because it was just a silly topic that crossed my mind. Sorry if I'm being too silly.

There is another issue. Your chest is going to be very sensitive for quite awhile after surgery. It is one thing to have a tattoo over normal skin but a tattoo over a newly healed chest incision may be quite a different experience. When this was suggested by a friend, even the thought of a tattoo over my new hyper-sensitive scar left me feeling ill. Also, you may find that you have nothing to hide; at two years, my scar is all but invisible anyway. And, then, there is the other thing to consider. If you should ever need OHS again it will ruin the tattoo.

Larry

Hey Mom.. I would agree with Larry. I had a tattoo placed on my left breast way prior to my OHS and I still vividly recall the discomfort I felt in some areas, so getting a tattoo to hide your scar might be a little painful. However, as you said, it would be a great idea to discuss this with your nurse. I also had another tattoo done after my surgery but it was no where near my chest. So just go with flow and get through your surgery and recovery then see how you feel.

If you're getting a mechanical valve, I think you might have some issues with INR management. That's a lot of little needle pokes to complete a tattoo. I wonder if that could get a little messy for the artist? Have any members received a tattoo while on warfarin that could comment?

Mom2izzy, I know exactly what you are talking about...3D looking...I have an artist friend that does face painting for b'day parties, etc...I will check with my doc to make sure the removable paint won't infect or hurt my scar in anyway...maybe combined both ideas and have a monster popping out of my chest/chest bone to the side holding my aorta in his grusome hand. Please stand by as I will see what I can come up with!

Never can be too silly, Mom2izzy - I'm with you ;)

Having a tattoo done while taking Coumadin/warfarin might not be a good idea....I've heard that the results
can be blurry. Otherwise, I would love to have one, on the shoulder, or arm, or ankle is nice. Anything near my
scar and I would probably freak out ;)

...maybe combined both ideas and have a monster popping out of my chest/chest bone to the side holding my aorta in his grusome hand. Please stand by as I will see what I can come up with!

Never can be too silly, Mom2izzy - I'm with you ;)

So, what is the donor species for your tissue valve SB42? Perhaps that could be thematic inspiration?

IMG_0623.jpg
IMG_0621-1.jpg
Wtattoo.jpg
MAtattoo.jpg
INK.jpg
I've had four tattoos since OHS, from four different artists, and all of them said I didn't bleed more than average. I was concerned about the possibility of infection, and when I brought it up with my doc, he said, 'don't do that, why would you want to mark up your skin?' Then he said that I could take a prophylactic antibiotic if I wanted to, so I did, in each case, as I do with invasive dental work. I also checked PT time just before each tattoo to make sure that I wasn't wildly above range.

As to the scar though, let me tell you that I have a very large bird on my left pec, and the wing tip near the scar was far and away the single most painful thing I have ever experienced. It felt like someone was pushing a whitehot fireplace poker into my incision. I had the tattoo done about 8 months post surgery. I'd recommend waiting longer!

As with any tattoo, take a good look around the shop before getting any work done. If it doesn't look at least as clean as the lab where you get your blood work done, don't get the tattoo there. If you can discreetly watch and artist work, see if they are exercising good sterile practice. They are necessarily trained in most jurisdictions, and the shops inspected and certified but there is no guarantee that individual artists are good at following the rules. Heck, some doctors and nurses are terrible at it.

Tattoos are great, if you choose them carefully. Take some time to think about it, and if the urge fades, let it! If not, go for it.

Dude your tattoos are awesome I was thinking of getting something like that. I wear this medalion that says my meds and stuff but it gets in the way do I was thinking of getting a tatto of it. What does the characters say?

Awesome pics yotphix!

I'm having a repair, so I won't be on warfarin for long. If I do end up with a replacement...it's tissue. I'm thinking the pig/cow motif could be fun.

The artist is sort of famous in his line of work and does something similar to "celebrity touring". I expect that he has to be awesome in every respect, or he wouldn't have the status that he does. Plus, he's a friend, so that's helpful.

The scar camouflage was part of the dream. I think even without a scar, tattoos on bony areas like the sternum are not for sissies like me. My plan was a little something that "explains" the scar off to one side.

Loving your line of thinking SB...not for me...I'm a little too feminine for something like that; however, since I will be going to U of M, I would have a great animal possibility...a WOLVERINE!

6 days and counting....thank you all for indulging me in my little distraction.

Last edited:
My plan was a little something that "explains" the scar off to one side.

I like that idea alot, and until I got the Transylvania Coat of Arms on my left Pec, I thought I might get a highly realistic cutaway piece of a heart with a mechanical valve, or maybe just the Sorin Group (parent co. of Carbomedics) logo, or the details from my valve info card. Transylvania won since I hate to wear my wedding ring and my wife is from there!

Justin has a zipper pull at the top of his scar. There used to be a picture of t in the toots forum, but i dont see the picture in that thread now. He wasnt on any meds, but took some antibiotics. The guy that did it was surprised justin said it didnt hurt much because it was tough putting the needle thru the scar (it was a year after his 5th OHS when he urned 20) hHe WILL need more surgery and ALMOST had one since his tat and his surgeon said since it was high up he would just start below it no problem.

Last edited:
but it got me thinking that a "mended heart" complete with frankenstein-like stitches could be fun

I don't think I could do a tattoo, but in keeping with the fun...I have a halloween t-shirt with a valentine-style heart with Frankenstein stitches criss crossing it as seen through a skeleton's rib cage. It will be in my suitcase when I take my turn in the hospital. :)

Latest posts

Back