tape

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
adhesives used for medical purpose are rather under-developed compared with those used in industry and consumer products. One key property required for medical adhesives is to maintain their adhesiveness in the presence of body fluid. Here, an entirely new class of medical adhesives called TAPE is reported; this is produced by intermolecular hydrogen bonding between a well-known polyphenol compound, tannic acid, and poly(ethylene glycol). The preparation method of TAPE is extremely easy, forming a few liters at once by just the simple mixing of the two compounds without any further chemical synthetic procedures. TAPE shows a 250% increase in adhesion strength compared with fibrin glue, and the adhesion is well maintained in aqueous environments. It is demonstrated that TAPE is an effective hemostatic material and a biodegradable patch for detecting gastroesophageal reflux disease in vivo. Widespread use of TAPE is anticipated in various medical and pharmaceutical applications such as muco-adhesives, drug depots, and others, because of its scalability, adhesion, and facile preparation

http://doi.org/f26jp5

They tested its ability to stop bleeding by poking a hole in a mouse's liver and patching it up. After 30 seconds, TAPE-treated mice had bled one-sixth as much as those treated with fibrin. Within 2 minutes, the TAPE mice had stopped bleeding altogether.

I had heard about this. My one concern is that it is imperative that any medical personnel using such a preparation be sufficiently educated so that they know where to use this and where not to use it. An example of my fear would be that some well-intentioned first responder would see a major bleed and seal off someone's aorta, cutting off blood flow to both legs rather than sealing off only the wound site.

Hi

epstns;n855306 said:
I had heard about this. My one concern is that it is imperative that any medical personnel using such a preparation be sufficiently educated so that they know where to use this
in a long ago life I worked for a medical technology type company (perhiperal stuff) and having trained nurses to do things I found that it was a lot like the old muso joke about the drummer VS the drum machine .... you only have to punch the information into the drum machine once.

If a Dr will kick their ass about it, it gets done, else "... whatever"

Latest posts

Back