T - 2 days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciosa1974

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
2 days out and the nerves are kicking in. I’m grateful for my husband bc his comment to me last night slapped me back to reality. He said “I’m just glad they finally found figured out what’s been wrong with you and they’re going to fix it!” I was like yeah, that’s a good perspective!

I have a 5 year old so I’ve been telling her all week Mommy is having surgery, I’m going to have a big owie, I’m going to be in the hospital for a few days. I’ve kept it very non chalant and that has really helped her. Like this is normal. No biggie.

I’m trying to figure out what to bring to the the hospital. They said just a toothbrush and toothpaste and that I most likely wouldn’t be able to shower while there. 😳 I’m going to bring pajama pants, a robe, a comfy shirt and sweatpants. My spoilers, phone, bible and a book. Which I don’t know if I’ll get to most of that but I always bring my Bible for comfort.

I read a post from a long time ago about surprises, and I think I should have skipped that post for now. 😵‍💫🥴

Sounds like a good plan. I’d substitute some junk magazines for the book. You’re not going to have the mental concentration to get through maybe a half page, and 5 minutes later you’ll forget what you just read. I’d also skip the robe. I recall I said something along the lines of “I feel like Superman wearing a kryptonite cape”. I was so weak first few days post-op, it felt like it weighed 100 pounds. It wasn’t even a heavy robe, it was a bit thicker than T shirt material.
Best wishes for an uneventful procedure and stay, and speedy successful recovery.

I am in favor of the light robe - they got me up walking with tubes & all as soon as possible. Shirt is problematic unless you have buttons down the front. Raising arms will take a few days. Zip up hoodie & robe get my votes. Slippers are also helpful. Pants - not so sure about that with the Urethral catheter - I had some other issues so might not apply but another reason for the robe.
And light reading on the book - might not want to laugh too hard first couple days.
Extra pillow for the coughing & sneezing - they gave me one back in June as a keeper.
We’re rooting for you!!

Just reading your post ‘74 with 5 yo, bicuspid aortic valve - not sure of the rest of your story but hoping you get mechanical valve. I got the pig valve 8 years ago thinking it would last 12 years at least until it broke this past June, so had to go in for the mechanical upgrade. All good with steady warfarin treatment.

Just reading your post ‘74 with 5 yo, bicuspid aortic valve - not sure of the rest of your story but hoping you get mechanical valve. I got the pig valve 8 years ago thinking it would last 12 years at least until it broke this past June, so had to go in for the mechanical upgrade. All good with steady warfarin treatment.
Yea I’m getting the St Jude. Thanks for the advice. I’ll bring a robe and my hoodie and pants just in case. I am bringing a pillow too.

Sounds like a good plan. I’d substitute some junk magazines for the book. You’re not going to have the mental concentration to get through maybe a half page, and 5 minutes later you’ll forget what you just read. I’d also skip the robe. I recall I said something along the lines of “I feel like Superman wearing a kryptonite cape”. I was so weak first few days post-op, it felt like it weighed 100 pounds. It wasn’t even a heavy robe, it was a bit thicker than T shirt material.
Best wishes for an uneventful procedure and stay, and speedy successful recovery.
Thank you!! Good points!

Good luck!

A comfort tip. The bed will be adjustable for head and feet elevation, and if you're fortunate, the mattress will have adjustable firmness. For me, I found that having the nurse put the mattress setting at the very softest level was a game changer, in terms of comfort. I also had the nurse adjust the head and foot elevation settings until we found the perfect configuration. Once we found the comfort sweet spot, I asked her to write down the digital settings. This way, every time the settings were altered, to sit up to eat or to get out of bed, we could just dial them back to the perfect comfort setting when I was ready to rest again. For me, getting the bed just right was crucial to maximizing comfort.

Please keep us posted on your recovery! :)

I would suggest bringing warm clothes. I am 41 and I kept feeling cold in the room. A good book that will distract you. and perhaps a tablet to catch up with your family at night. (My family caught covid the day before I went in, so most of them were not able to come and see me and we just relied on tech to keep in touch).

Good luck!

A comfort tip. The bed will be adjustable for head and feet elevation, and if you're fortunate, the mattress will have adjustable firmness. For me, I found that having the nurse put the mattress setting at the very softest level was a game changer, in terms of comfort. I also had the nurse adjust the head and foot elevation settings until we found the perfect configuration. Once we found the comfort sweet spot, I asked her to write down the digital settings. This way, every time the settings were altered, to sit up to eat or to get out of bed, we could just dial them back to the perfect comfort setting when I was ready to rest again. For me, getting the bed just right was crucial to maximizing comfort.

Please keep us posted on your recovery! :)
Thank you for this and will do!

Best of luck Preciosa1974. I would suggest an extra long charging cord for devices. I had my surgery during Covid so no visitors were allowed. My phone and my iPad were my life lines. (plus I could read the news or watch a movie) I didn’t think of a long cord but my children dropped off a care package which included one. The long cord allowed my devices to lay beside me in bed where I could reach them and still charge. A small thing, but it made it big difference.

I also have now the St. Jude Mitral Valve and since JUNE/2015, and am still among us. I would say that once you begin to settle down POST SURGERY, and with the market as it is, and if i was you, make plans to home test! I have been home testing for a bit over 2 years now, INR, and it is and has been awesome! no matter where ya other help is coming from, doing it this way, and adding HOME TESTING allows me sleep well at night, or when i choose to nap, i am 69.
The machine i have, got it on ebay for $500usd, and it seemed to be easier for me being in the USA than for others that are not, it is what it is, the strips are running around $110 for 24, and also from ebay. sometimes, just sometimes it is not easy to keep within 2.5-3.5 like i need to, and home testing does make it a ton easier!
Now about the surgery, tell whomever your with that when you start making the move, and it seems that your trying to tell everyone, PLEASE take that tube for breathing, as in....PLEASE TAKE IT OUT! that is of course if they need to collapse your lungs, which in most cases is the case!
About what to bring, I find for HOSPITAL stays, it is better, much better to bring too much then forget something! As in, bring something for the munchies, it could be almost anything, GUM/COOKIES/ anything that does not need to be in FRIG, or make sure you have someone that can bring it to you post surgery.
NOW As for at least the first 2 days after, you wont be bathing, and they wont be giving you a sponge bath either, in most cases.
Getting dead skin cells cleaned and off of your body is not exactly on the top of the list, but what is, is getting your O2 level in your blood up to where it should be, this is why they will have you up and walking ASAP!

Ill leave it there for now, you may or nay not read this before your surgery, god be with you, was with me! dont sweat it, leave in the most powerful hands there are, and youll be fine! looking forward to reading your posts, post surgery!!!

Last edited:
Good luck to you. I would say be prepared if your kid is weirded out by visiting you even though you did a great job prepping. My kid was so disturbed that I had to lure him to me with candy like I was some kind of creeper. If your hubs can preview some details like what you will be wearing, what the hospital is like (from parking to bedside) and what you will be able to do and not do that may help, that is if they visit you in the hospital. Maybe even a photo or short video from you? It’s a weird experience for a kid.

After returning home I had horrible stomach and bow issues. I wasn’t on any pain killers either and only took the IV pain killers for 2 days.

I tried everything imaginable to get my stomach back in order. What worked was MetaMucil twice a day. Each time I used a heaping tablespoon in a glass of water. I used the “no added sweeteners” version. Tastes horrible but fixed me up quickly.

Latest posts

Back