Symptoms of aortic valve failure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gia

I replaced my valve with a tissue valve 5 years ago and although I had some shortness of breath I didn’t nearly have the complications I m having now. I have severe ascites in my abdomin and have had pulmonary edema. I have had to go to the ER twice, once for pulmonary edema another for hypoxia. I stayed in the hospital twice, once for 4 days and the other for 2 weeks. My lungs kept showing infiltrates so they had to rule out pneumonia which I never had. I still have some cloudy areas so I’m home to see if my lungs clear up before surgery Aug 17. I feel that the lung issue is due to fluid build up for which I’m taking PO diuretics. My question is, has anyone else experienced such different symptoms with each valve going bad? Thanks

That doesn’t sound fun at all, Gia, and I hope they clear you for surgery. I had both pulmonary edema and pulmonary hypertension from mitral stenosis. Constant dry cough, coughing up blood, unable to sleep in a bed because it was worse lying down.

That doesn’t sound fun at all, Gia, and I hope they clear you for surgery. I had both pulmonary edema and pulmonary hypertension from mitral stenosis. Constant dry cough, coughing up blood, unable to sleep in a bed because it was worse lying down.
Yes It’s horrible. After the hospital I hav been able to sleep but constant ascites, short of breath, can’t climb stairs, can walk around. Getting chest X-rays weekly and seeing the cardiologist. They said the better the lungs get the less chance of a trach after surgery BUT the reason for this is the bad valve? Anyway I do appreciate their cautiousness!

I replaced my valve with a tissue valve 5 years ago and although I had some shortness of breath I didn’t nearly have the complications I m having now. I have severe ascites in my abdomin and have had pulmonary edema. I have had to go to the ER twice, once for pulmonary edema another for hypoxia. I stayed in the hospital twice, once for 4 days and the other for 2 weeks. My lungs kept showing infiltrates so they had to rule out pneumonia which I never had. I still have some cloudy areas so I’m home to see if my lungs clear up before surgery Aug 17. I feel that the lung issue is due to fluid build up for which I’m taking PO diuretics. My question is, has anyone else experienced such different symptoms with each valve going bad? Thanks
Gia- sorry you going thru this. I had no signs of pulmonary edema but last year (june12) I was out of town and would have passed if My hotel didnot share a parking lot with an e/r due to sudden onset pulmonary adema. I had my valve checked in late April and everything seemed fine but whatever happened in June resulted in 2nd valve replacement wk before Christmas. Duke Dr Hughes strongly recommended mech valve (52yo) to replace my original tissue valve (44yo). I also received a pacemaker last July and tend to believe that the initial VR led to electric issues that culminated in the edema and then pacemaker (heart rate dropped to 36 and I almost passed out.

Feel much better a year later and now working out and feel like I have a new lease on life.

Hope this helps!❤️

Gia- sorry you going thru this. I had no signs of pulmonary edema but last year (june12) I was out of town and would have passed if My hotel didnot share a parking lot with an e/r due to sudden onset pulmonary adema. I had my valve checked in late April and everything seemed fine but whatever happened in June resulted in 2nd valve replacement wk before Christmas. Duke Dr Hughes strongly recommended mech valve (52yo) to replace my original tissue valve (44yo). I also received a pacemaker last July and tend to believe that the initial VR led to electric issues that culminated in the edema and then pacemaker (heart rate dropped to 36 and I almost passed out.

Feel much better a year later and now working out and feel like I have a new lease on life.

Hope this helps!❤️
Well I had to be rushed to the ER felt like I was drowning I couldn’t breathe! I had an echo done in Feb and was told all was well. I had abdominal ascites but no swelling in lower extremities so thought it was a liver issue. I was hospitalized twice. They tested me for everything and all w as well except my BNP and lung X-ray. Finally, after ruling everything out, they concluded a .6 stenotic tissue valve and calcified aortic root. To add more complication my root is small 19 mm so unable to do TAVR or widen root bc if calcification. I wasn’t planning on being out of work 5 months thank God for family.

Last edited:
I had stenosis but not any symptoms until the month before my operation. I had one bout of severe dizziness getting up and leaving a function. Surgeon said after the AVR my valve was very clogged and I was lucky. Many people don't have "big" symptoms like yourself but some do. I've never read about anyone having ascites though.

Yes, its fluid build up which is usually in the lower extremeties but I have no swelling anywhere except in my abdomen. Ascites can accumulate anywhere and that is why they checked me out to make sure the swelling wasn't because of something else.

I'm sorry Gia, that does not sound fun. Stay on top of it and tell your doctor if your symptoms are getting worse. I have symptoms of shortness of breath and lower energy and ascites, but that last symptom has gotten better since my last OHS 5 years ago. Now I have to admit, it's probably not fluid, but just me growing bigger from my lack of exercise, and age....haha I'm going to jump back on the fitness wagon soon...I swear. However, my 2nd mechanical mitral valve is now 28 1/2 years old. I do feel that that is part of my problem, and I'm at a loss of when to act, etc. I hope you get some answers soon. I understand your worries and confusion.

• Love
Reactions: Gia

Latest posts

Back