Switched from name brand Coumadin to Jantoven 7 days ago and now have nausea

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been on name-brand Coumadin since 2007 for my Mechanical Heart Valve with zero problems and had to switch to Jantoven just 7 days ago because Coumadin is now discontinued. So far its making me really nauseous. I tried to take generic warfarin many years ago and the same thing happen gave me really bad nausea. Does anyone else have this issue, and found a workaround, it's miserable? The name brand Coumadin never made me feel nauseous. Nothing else has changed in my diet or medications, other than switching to Jantoven.

Thanks
Richard

Its possible that you're having a reaction to the dyes in the drug (to colour the tablets) or its possible that its a coincidence.

I've always used Marevan (I thought it was the same underlying Pharma company) ... perhaps try that one?

Do you take it with food?

Hello, thank you for the response. I was curious if that is what is the issue, as I have read on other forums other patients having a reaction to the dyes used in the color tablets. One thing I never do is take the pill with food. I wonder if I should start doing that from now on.

I can't say that I've had a problem with nausea when switching from Coumadin to generic warfarin. My concern was mostly INR stability when making the change but I am happy to report that I have been very pleased with the Amneal brand since being forced off of Coumadin a few months ago. It is the warfarin generic brand that Publix Pharmacy uses.

I can't say that I've had a problem with nausea when switching from Coumadin to generic warfarin. My concern was mostly INR stability when making the change but I am happy to report that I have been very pleased with the Amneal brand since being forced off of Coumadin a few months ago. It is the warfarin generic brand that Publix Pharmacy uses.
Are you taking Jantoven?

FWIW, I switched from Coumadin to Warfarin about 15 years ago with no effect on INR or other body functions. I actually was able to manage Warfarin easier than Coumadin........but I think that was primarily due to my earlier doctors lack of understanding anti-coagulation management.

I haven’t taken Jantoven, but I’ve taken Coumadin and generic from at least 3 manufacturers without any side effects or change in INR. I would have been among the first to become nauseated, based on decades of being sickened by the least little thing. I even keep generic Zofran on hand just in case.

I have been on name-brand Coumadin since 2007 for my Mechanical Heart Valve with zero problems and had to switch to Jantoven just 7 days ago because Coumadin is now discontinued. So far its making me really nauseous. I tried to take generic warfarin many years ago and the same thing happen gave me really bad nausea. Does anyone else have this issue, and found a workaround, it's miserable? The name brand Coumadin never made me feel nauseous. Nothing else has changed in my diet or medications, other than switching to Jantoven.

Thanks
Richard

I've never taken brand name coumadin and had my generic supplier switch w/o any problems.

It's allergy season. I started to get allergies at your age. A post-nasal drip from seasonal allergies can make you nauseous enough to lose breakfast. I am now on three allergy drugs and still get a little nauseous at the 16 hour mark after taking my 24hr antihistamine. But I can keep down breakfast and dinner :)

Drugs have the "Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient" (API) and "excipients" which is the color and the various chemicals that make the tablet stay together, fill the capsule, or make the solution. It is very rare to have any physiological reaction to the excipients in any tablet. Sometimes they are the same materials used in candy or food.

Reactions: Eva
I was switched from brand name Coumadin to Jantoven about 3.5 weeks ago. I had some issues with slight nausea for the first two weeks, but didn't make the connection until I saw your post. I am on bioidentical hormone patches so I was thinking maybe it was that. I got a terrible combo migraine/tension headache on the third week one night, and couldn't stop throwing up. Ugh. That's NOT typical for me, but I had only slept an hour the night before due to a hurricane, and I attributed it more to the pain than to change in medication. Promethazine always worked much better than Zofran for me. Good luck!

Hi everyone,
I started Jantoven and the first week INR was great. 3.2 No side effects.
Now testing weekly as instructed by my doctor. The following week I was 2.5 so I tested the next day to see if I had made a mistake and it was 2.3.
I waited another week and it was 2.6. After that, this Tuesday which is my test day, I tested at 2.5.
I had wished to stay in the 3's so I asked my doctor to increase my dose a little. I told him that I like to have 2 salads a day with mostly iceberg and a sprinkle of romaine and that I had started to drop one of my salads but wished to continue as before.. He told me to have my two salads and test again next Tuesday but he did not up my medicine. I do not understand why not, but he said he would base it on testing not request. I have the Saint Judes mechanical valve so 2.5-3.5 is my range.
Also I have read about not holding your breath somewhere here. Why is that a problem?
Thanks for your help on this. Any comments?

Hi everyone,
Now testing weekly as instructed by my doctor. The following week I was 2.5 so I tested the next day to see if I had made a mistake and it was 2.3.
I waited another week and it was 2.6. After that, this Tuesday which is my test day, I tested at 2.5.
I had wished to stay in the 3's so I asked my doctor to increase my dose a little. I told him that I like to have 2 salads a day with mostly iceberg and a sprinkle of romaine and that I had started to drop one of my salads but wished to continue as before.. He told me to have my two salads and test again next Tuesday but he did not up my medicine. I do not understand why not, but he said he would base it on testing not request. I have the Saint Judes mechanical valve so 2.5-3.5 is my range.
Also I have read about not holding your breath somewhere here. Why is that a problem?
This is a warning to people who have aortic dilatation, do not hold their breath and do not lift weights.

Reactions: PAN
Hi everyone,

All but one of your results are within range. Even the 2.3 is close enough to just see if it is a trend at the next testing. At least that's what my clinic used to say.

I do not have aortic dilation but was told to avoid holding your breath during exercise or lifting. I do isometric exercises and was specifically told to avoid those that include holding your breath. I was told that holding your breath during exertion puts un-needed strain on your valve assembly. I had a BAV replaced with a mechanical valve.

Latest posts

Back