Swelling in foot

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debster913

Hi, all--

To preface my question--I had a balloon angioplasty in my right femoral artery (in the groin) on February 22nd. Since Friday (March 9), my right foot has been swollen. It was too swollen to put on my "normal" work shoes yesterday, and if I sit too long (especially at the computer while doing work for my online classes), my groin hurts like a four-letter word.

In any of your opinions, anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance,
Debi (debster913)

It doesn't sound normal to me. You could have some kind of blockage. I would definitely at least call the doctor.

Never had the swelling. But my thigh looked like it was beat with a bat:eek: Took FOREVER for the bruising to go away.

Anyway, I would be concerned about infection or a clot with the swelling. Best to check it out.

Wishing you the best.

Yes, go get it checked!

Yes, go get it checked!

Katie has had swelling in her legs and puffy feet after surgeries and caths, but this has always surfaced immediately following and stayed around for a few days to weeks, depending on the procedure. But yours took three weeks to surface???? :confused: Just my two cents, but this is not normal! Sitting for long hours does not help the circulation in the legs any, but pick up the phone. Make an appointment and demand to be seen soon. Better safe than sorry. Keep us posted. Hugs. J.

Talked to the nurse...

Talked to the nurse...

Hi, all--
I stopped by my cardio's office after work yesterday and saw the nurse, who examined my swollen foot and then called my doctor at the hospital. He said for me not to worry, that the swelling is because I'm back at work, walking around more, and I'm getting enough blood flow down there. I did have an echo of my leg four days post-angio, and the echo showed a significant increase of blood flow in my femoral artery.

However, my cardio did say that if I have worse swellling and/or pain in my foot, to call. He says that as long as I have a good pulse in my foot and my foot is warm, there should be no cause for concern.

I admitted to the nurse that I felt a bit like a hypochondriac, but she lovingly assured me neither she nor Dr. V feel that way. She basically said that it's best to check things out when symptoms don't feel right, especially now that I've been through valve surgery. Besides, last year I ignored my symptoms until I got carted off my school campus on a stretcher. Enough said. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your input,:)
Debi (debster913) 9 MONTHS TODAY!!! YAY!!!!

The swelling could be from a clot, you should have it checked out, the urgency is dependent on where it is located (the higher up the leg, the more serious). If it is a clot, they'll put you on coumadin for 6 months until the clot is reabsorbed into the vein wall.

Back