Suture rejection?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaM

Anyone ever had sutures spit back up at you? The surgeon who pulled out the wires used Vicryl, which is supposed to dissolved under the skin. Instead of dissolving, mine are popping up through the surface. The other day, it looked like a tiny bit of pus was under the surface of the skin. I squeezed and PRESTO! out popped a suture. This was after three or four other sutures and squirmed their way to the surface. Saw the surgeon yesterday and he looked decidedly puzzled. He cut out the ones poking through the top and tugged at a few still beneath the skin. He thought maybe the radiation treatment to keep the keloids away had caused it.

So strange. . .

Melissa, you really have to stop leading such an interesting life! ;) Time for a little boredom here sister.

I had a few internal stitches work their way out, but not a lot of them. I thought is was kind of cool in a gross way. And I do keloid - so I'm wondering if it's the way our bodies form scar tissue, rather than what is used in the sutchers. Would be interesting to find out.

So Melissa is a squeezer! I'm the same way - I pop blisters, pick at hangnails, cut off callouses, etc. :p

I didn't have any stitches come up, but if they did, I'm sure I would have tugged at them to see what happened.

Maybe your surgeon got his suture materials mixed up?

Dick had one suture come to the surface about 9 weeks out. Took a picture of it and emailed it to his surgeon. He replied that they are self-dissolving sutures and sometimes work their way to the surface - nothing to be concerned with- just don't let them get infected.

Reactions: Amy
I have also had suture problems

I have also had suture problems

I also have had three surgeries for my heart and each one I have had sutures come out. I had my ohs in may and still am having stitches appear ,right now I have one thats kind of suck and wont come out,just make sure they do not get infected my pacemaker one did and had to have my pocket opened up and cleaned out. The only thing my surgeon did was cut it and who wants to pay money for something you can do at home. Hope everything works out.

Latest posts

Back