Surgery - What Day of the Week is Best?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooney

So I happened across this study which shows that mortality rates increase the later in the week you have elective surgery. Do you believe this? Did any of you factor that into your decision when choosing a date? According to this, we should all have surgery on Mondays!

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f2424

*sigh*
It figures...I am just now getting close to decision on a surgeon. They gave me these dates:

Feb 28 (a Friday)
March 3 (a Monday)
and oh by the way the surgeon will be out from March 5 - March 12
March 17
March 18

Of course I want it done asap, but if I choose Feb 28 my mortality risk increases 42% over Monday. If I choose March 3 the surgeon is only going to be there 48 hours afterwards, which does not make me feel comfortable in case there is a complication.
And March 17 seems like forever!!!

Please tell me I am reading too much into this!

I would choose early in the week--Mine was Thursday suppose to be at 11 am got pushed back to 4pm-needless to say my valve is still leaking. I'll choose early in the week and first thing in the morning next time :)! Yes I have to have a next time.

Hi,
In UK mortality rates have been shown to increase over weekends as consultants and more senior dr's aren't there if complications occur.
Tues sounds good for me; gives surgeon/staff time to get over a boozy weekend and concentrate on job. :)

I had surgery on a Wednesday, which had a further disadvantage. There was no one in the hospital who could release me come the weekend, despite everyone present, (myself included) feeling I was quite ready to leave. Saturday and Sunday were beyond dull!

I did a Friday. The only part that I didn't like is that I found the nurses on the weekend to not be the caliber of those there during the week. I know some of them rotate and this pokes a hole in my argument. I did find the difference come Monday morning to be noticeable.

I had mine on a thursday. All went great. It was my fourth heart surgery (3rd OHS). I also have asthma and reduced lung volumes. I was out of ICU on saturday and discharged on tuesday.

Debbie

Hmmmm.... You may want to first check to see if your surgeon is Irish.
March 17th and March 18th could be dangerous if he has too much green beer!

I had my first OHS on a Tuesday and the second on a Thursday. Both were fine but in advance of my appointment with my surgeon, I decided I would not agree to a surgery on Friday. As it turned out, he offered first surgery of the day on a Thursday and I was fine with that.

If possible, I would avoid any teaching hospital in June. It is all new Interns/Residents. I'd rather wait, if it is an option, until August or September. :)

Don't remember what day I had my first OHS but the last one was first thing on a Monday morning. Mind you, this was the Monday morning right after Super Bowl Sunday, so I was a bit nervous about what kind of shape my surgeon would be in. : ) Surgery took several hours longer than expected thanks to complications caused by scar tissue. All worked out well but I've always felt bad for delaying the surgery scheduled after mine. I'm sure that person was ready to get it over with!

I hadn't thought of this but will keep it in mind if there is a next time. Thanks for posting.

I was put on the "on call list" so I didn't have a choice of a day.
But it was done on a Friday afternoon and after 7 years (almost) all is good, but then again so was my surgeon - even saw him during the weekend, and was released on Monday.

Last edited:
I've had my 3 surgeries on different days and I came thru fine. 1st on Monday, 2nd on tues orWeds? can't remember, and 3rd on Friday. (1st and 3rd surgeons choice, 2nd emergency). My nurses were of the same great caliber each time. I was more nervous the 2nd time as the nurses were on strike.
I didn't know until the 2nd that it was good to have it done before the change in residents at Stanford. Mine was done at the end of June and my chief surgical resident was going July 1. Thankfully I was ready to go home just before he left and he shook my hand and we said good bye. He had a great bedside manner. He went on to do surgeries on some people here. The chief surgical residents have been top rate for me at Stanford. They are kind, caring and diligent.

I was the last one on Friday -- it was easier for my family to be there because of the weekend.

Back