Surgery this Friday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,

Finally, after two years of waiting (partly due to NHS/Covid/pre-emptive surgery not emergency) I have received my date.

I'm 32, slightly overweight but no other medical issues.

Since getting the news, I've really found it difficult to relax and have been focusing on the potentially bad result. I've got two kids and I'm so worried.

I had OHS when I was a baby, so I know the risk of surgery is greater due to the scar tissue. Does anyone know what % it is? I've heard different numbers from different doctors but all around the 5-8% mark because it is my second OHS. I know not having the surgery will be 100% the other way but it is still scary.

I want to go into surgery with a positive attitude but I'm finding it harder as it grows closer. Any advice on how to calm down or did everyone else feel this way? I just want to be in the best place for surgery.

Apologies if this post is a bit rambling, I think I just wanted to write down how I'm feeling. I've been chewing my wife's ear off and I think she needs a break 🤣.

Thanks,

Adam
Hi Adam, I am late to this post but just wanted to check in and see how you were doing. My HR was very high in hospital post OHS in Dec but was due to pericarditis and pericardial effusion. It was prob 80-90 BPM when leaving and is now approx 60 BPM so hopefully yours has settled down. I am on Bisoprolol at the moment (BETA Blocker). Hope all is ok Buddy.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I hope you're doing well! I've just passed the 12 week mark now and think I'm doing okay. I still get a bit of strain in my stomach when walking on an long but slow incline. I think it's just my overall fitness needs to improve now. I'm pretty sure I didn't walk enough some days so that's probably delayed the recovery.

My HR is definitely better but nowhere near where it was Pre-op. I'd say the average is mid 90's which is good and below the 100 threshold. It's just taking a long time. However a few weeks ago the average was 105. The surgeon said he's not too concerned and the heart is doing that for a reason.

However, he was worried that my 4 week scan showed my heart not pumping as strongly as before surgery. He didn't say any numbers about ejection fraction but referred me to the Heart Failure clinic. He thought it would be tweaking the meds and all sorted. Yet to hear from the Heart Failure Clinic... Also, quite surprised he didn't send me for another echo to check it was still a problem as he said it could have gone by itself. At the time, I panicked and was really concerned about having HF but as I've progressed I feel better and I'd be surprised if it was that. During the 4 week scan my HR was 105+ and said it could be due to that.

Latest posts

Back