Surgery Success

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick1807

This is Mick who posted last about my surgery on October 19th.. So I'm 3 days out from having my aortic valve fixed. We went in wanting a repair but no guarantees till he opened me up.
well my surgeon (my hero) was able to repair it so it's fair to say I'm pretty pumped about that.
For others waiting I'll try and give a run down of what you'll expect and what I went though through and help out and although it's fresh some is a little hazy due to meds.
I remember being wheel down, saying bye to loved ones then it was lights out.
I woke up in icu heavily medicated but remember specially asking were u able to repair it. To which he says yes.
Not much pain, as meds are kicking in, you're fairly well sedated that first day.
i don't remember but apparently I fought the tubes down the throat but they were the first things removed so that was good.
first thing I do remember of not being a fan of was the Catheter coming out, hurt a little and wasn't pleasnent but it's quick so manageable.
I had worked myself up about having the chest tubes taken out but for me although uncomfortable it's literally a split second and again manageable and once out you feel lots better.
Been a little nasuiated due to meds but they give you meds to fix that too. Haha so medicated up.
All in all it's a very manageable experience and most worries people have a very quick things.
im at day 3 now, did a lap of the ward was tiring but a proud achievment for what my body has just been through. Rehab is 5 deeps breaths and a cough, which you'll love your pillow for. Now ramping up cardio and arm exercises.
Getting in and out of bed is a task but again your pillow is your best friend and makes it easier for you.
Tomorrow my pacing wires come out and then I'll basically be free if all wires. Few more hurdles to get over in the next couple of days and hoping to go home on Wednesday/Thursday. Just take it one day at a time and do as you're told.

Thanks for the kind words guys. That's great news Leadville. I never understood why people would say anxiety and waiting is the worst part. Now I do. It's behind you, it's a sense of relief, it's not as bad as you are imaging in your head right now and bring in the rest of my life. You'll do great.

Thanks for the update Mick. I think it's important to share experiences so others can have a better idea of what they will face. I read many post-op posts before my surgery and found them comforting. Glad your surgeon was able to do a repair and that you are well on your way to recovery.

Hi Honeybunny & thanks. Yes I agree this forum helped me so much when I was waiting for my op so soon as I could I wanted to come on and share my experience.
Another good tip for those waiting is bring your own pillow. It's hard to get comfy and hospital pillows are the worst. My wife brought my pillow in from home last night and I've just had the best sleep.

Hey, Mick! Welcome to The Other Side of the Mountain! The process has been likened to climbing a mountain, from diagnosis, through all the decisions, to treatment. After surgery one comes down the other side of the mountain to once again enjoy life in the lush green valley of life.

It will take a while, but follow instructions and you'll do fine.

You seem to be posting clear headed - so that's good! Congrats on making it through. Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery. There will be good days and bad. Be careful not to overdo it on the good days.

Enjoy your time in the hospital. Make them earn their pay (but politely). If your home is as busy as mine, it's the last opportunity to be truly waited on.

Mick, Did you happen to have yours done at Cleveland Clinic? If not, what hospital did you go to? I'm currently in the process of shopping surgeons for a BAV repair. Based on what I've read I think I could be a candidate for it, my only issue is severe regurgitation. (no stenosis, no root issues) Did you talk to the Dr about what makes it repairable vs not repairable? How does he make that decision?

WillieR,

Here is a video by Alan Stewart from Mount Sinai with a presentation on BAV repair which you might find relevant to your query:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4G_P7JqF4k

The leading centers for BAV repair in the US seem to be:

- Cleveland - Svennson
- Stanford - Aaron Boone had his repair there
- Penn - Bavaria (there is someone on this forum who had a repair from him recently)

But there also seems to be some very good experience at:

- Mt. Sinai
- Northwestern BAV center

There is also some very good experience in Europe as well as Dr. Tirone in Toronto who is the grandmaster of this procedure.

If you send me a message I can send you via email a presentation that Cleveland recently published on their experience with BAV repair. The good news is that through the years there has been tremendous improvement in methods and outcomes.

Best of luck to you.

WillieR;n881109 said:
Mick, Did you happen to have yours done at Cleveland Clinic? If not, what hospital did you go to? I'm currently in the process of shopping surgeons for a BAV repair. Based on what I've read I think I could be a candidate for it, my only issue is severe regurgitation. (no stenosis, no root issues) Did you talk to the Dr about what makes it repairable vs not repairable? How does he make that decision?

I had my bav repaired by Dr Bavaria at the hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Check him out.

WillieR;n881109 said:

Hi Willie,
I’m in Australia mate so got it done I’m Melbourne. Before going in the surgeon had no idea if he could repair or replace it. It came down to how much damage there was to the valve. So it wasn’t till I woke up that I found out whether he had replaced or repaired it. Thankfully he repaired it.
I’m just hoping the repair lasts a long time now. Having said that, there is a slight leak still & I’ll be monitored on a 6 to 12 month basis.

Check out Dr. Leonard Girardi and his Cardiothroacic team at Weill Cornell/New York Presbyterian. He is world-class. His volume of procedures performed and surgical outcomes record are fantastic. Just like Dr. Svensson at Cleveland Clinic. That’s the key.

Be wary of hospitals that do not share their surgical outcomes and procedures volumes report for their various cardiothoracic surgeries. Cleveland and New York Presbyterian are very transparent about it.

Here is NYP’s 2017 detailed Cardiac outcomes report http://www.nyp.org/documents/outcome...diacReport.pdf

Back