Surgery on Thursday!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc1991

Well, I met with my surgeon today. It's been a long struggle for me to go through with this surgery to get my aortic valve replaced, but not because I didn't want to.

I have an issue with acne, and my surgery has been bumped five times previously due to chest acne and the surgical team not wanting me to get an infection. But now my chest is clear enough to where they feel comfortable doing the surgery. I respect their previous decisions. They put me on Doxycycline (been on it for a little more than a month) and my chest is clear to the point where they will do surgery. I have a little bump that was a pimple, but is going away, and the surgeon says it's off to the side a bit so it won't be a problem. They want me to stay on the Doxy right after the surgery as well, throughout the recovery process so that the incision has less of a chance of getting infected. The team at UCLA has really been phenomenal.

I'm scheduled to get my bicuspid aortic valve replaced (with a St. Jude mechanical valve) on Thrusday. The surgeon said he might have to repair my aortic root, but he'll need to see it for himself in order to decide. He's planning to do a minimally invasive approach, but with the aortic root, might have to do a full sternotomy. I'll see when I wake up! . My surgery is bright and early, first case of the day at 7:30. Wish me luck

best wishes and hoping for an uneventful recovery

take some kimchi into the hospital with you ... avoid stool softners

Ugh, you guys aren't going to believe this. They cancelled my surgery for tomorrow because they have no beds available at the hospital. They said maybe Friday or I might have to wait until Tuesday since they don't work Monday because of the holiday. 6th or 7th time my surgery has been bumped :(.

My surgeons secretary just called and said the bed situation at UCLA has been taken care of so my surgery is still on for tomorrow. I'm soooooooo relieved.

ajc1991;n851407 said:
My surgeons secretary just called and said the bed situation at UCLA has been taken care of so my surgery is still on for tomorrow. I'm soooooooo relieved.
good news!

glad to hear that

the delays must be very frustrating

Cardinal fan 61;n851414 said:
It's 9 p.m. I assume your surgery is history. I hope all went well. Mine was Nov. 24th and I;m going back to work next week. You'll bounce back quick!

I'm actually in Los Angeles, my surgery is in about 11 1/2 hours. But thank you very much :)

Back