Surgery on Monday 1/23

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surgery at Chippenham JW hospital in central Virginia was successful! Had some struggles with seizures, likely from anesthesia. But will (should) go home on Wednesday (one week post-op) with a new ON-X and aortic root. Long term prognosis is very positive. Will need to learn about INR and Coumadin. Very fortunate to be surrounded by supportive friends and family!
Well done! Welcome to the other side! You'll be fully recovered before you know it!

Now if I can just find a way to sleep!!!! I cannot sleep in the hospital. Almost a week since
My last non-anesthesia induced nights rest. Hope it’s better when I am home later today

My chest is rumbling. It feels like one of those paint mixers has been put in my chest. My guess is my heart is now much better at pumping but also has more shakes and quakes. Is this normal with a new mechanical AV?

Exhaustion will eventually give way to sleep. Being in familiar surroundings will let you relax enough to give in to the urge to sleep. I had forgotten about the “washing machine spin dry cycle” feeling post surgically. Can’t say if it’s normal, but it does settle.
The fact that you’re able to put together words to post is great. I was a pump head victim for weeks.
Now go to sleep!

Update:
I am feeling so much better after 3 nights at home! Sleep gets easier each night. I am using Tylenol PM to help get it started.

The "washing machine spin cycle/paint can mixer" sensation went away about a day a go. The beta blockers may have helped?...or my heart is getting in-tune with the new parts? Also getting more and more used to the ticking sound.

Pain is manageable, especially in my sternum. I remember this being much worse after my last surgery, 37 years ago. I am only taking Tylenol several times per day.

Appetite has returned.
Various surgical wounds are healing.

My focus will be on expanding my lung capacity and endurance.

Update:
I am feeling so much better after 3 nights at home! Sleep gets easier each night. I am using Tylenol PM to help get it started.

The "washing machine spin cycle/paint can mixer" sensation went away about a day a go. The beta blockers may have helped?...or my heart is getting in-tune with the new parts? Also getting more and more used to the ticking sound.

Pain is manageable, especially in my sternum. I remember this being much worse after my last surgery, 37 years ago. I am only taking Tylenol several times per day.

Appetite has returned.
Various surgical wounds are healing.

My focus will be on expanding my lung capacity and endurance.
All good news!

Glad that the spin cycle/paint can mixer thing resolved.

It will get better each week. Walk walk walk. It really helps speed the healing along.

Latest posts

Back