Surgery on for 7/26

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dianne

Hi everyone,

I've been meaning to post all last week. But by the time I catch up on reading all the other posts, I've run out of time and have to leave.

I met with my surgeon last Tuesday. AVR surgery is set for Thursday July 26. I think Leslie D is still on for that date, too.(?) Anyone else scheduled on the 26th?

This Wednesday I have to see a neurologist due to some TIAs I've been having. But, that appointment shouldn't affect the surgery date, I'm told. The surgeon will chat with some of my doctors to see which type of valve would be best for all of my health issues. He prefers the St. Judes but also mentioned the possibility of a homograph. I am undecided and see the benefits of either valve. Any input from anyone??

Since surgery has been on/off/on since May, I almost expected the surgeon to tell me last Tuesday that surgery wasn't needed. My husband says that I was in denial. I said it was just wishful thinking!

But hearing how everyone has been doing so well after surgery has really cut down on my worry. That's not saying I'm not a bit nervous, of course! But I am ready to feel better.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, as well.

Dianne

Which Valve?

Which Valve?

Dianne,

Check out the posts everyone sent to Peachy just a few posts below yours. I have a homograft Jan2000 and am confident that I made the right choice for me and my life style. BUT that is the sticker...you have to investigate and consider and make up your own mind. Good luck. Which ever valve you go with, you will be amazed how well and really great you will feel very soon after surgery. For most of us it was a matter of not overdoing it within a very few weeks rather than not being able to do as before the surgery. Keep us posted.

Dianne,
Good luck on the 26th! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you make it to surgery on that date.... delays are so stressful.... I was in pre-op when they delayed my surgery.... they finally did it the next week.

Take care and be sure to keep us updated.

Zazzy

Hi Dianne.
The 26th is just around the corner. It's that runaround with dates that gets to you isn't it? I hope you don't get postponed again. That's pretty tough on the old emotions. I was lucky - they bumped me just once. I think it was Zazzy who mentioned to me that she had been bumped numerous times. That's a drag.

With respect to your question about dates. I always look onto the calendar part of the site and it tells you who's up for surgery and when.

Your date wasn't in there, so I took the liberty of putting it in. I hope you don't mind, but it helps some of us keep track of who's going in and when so we can encourage people close to their date and follow their progress.

I know the last week or so prior to surgery can give you the jitters, but take a deep breath and keep that positive attitude with you and all will be good.
Kev

Kevin
How are you feeling this week? And thanks for putting my date on the calendar. You know, I check it to see about upcoming dates but never thought to put mine on it!

Zazzy
I saw the neurologist today. I have to have a MRI done on Monday. This doctor thought the surgery could still go as planned. You hold the record for bumps, don't you?

Jean
I read the posts for Peachy which were helpful. I am so glad to hear people feel better so quickly after surgery no matter what the valve they chose.

To all
After reading the post from Nancy concerning Joe's blood issue I have to ask:
Did everyone have to give blood before their surgeries and if so, how much? The doctor mentioned I might have to the day before, but I didn't ask any questions about that.

Dianne

To Dianne:

To Dianne:

I feel great. My throat is no longer sore, I walk probably 7-10 blocks a day, my strength increases dramtically almost every day, the surface stuff is all healing nicely and I finally moved from the couch to my own bed. The only time I feel any real discomfort is when I wake up. Everything is a little stiff.

I think the first two days are the worst, then the next 5 days everything is a little slow and blurry. After that, things bounce back pretty fast.

Regarding giving blood. I gave a total of two units one week apart a few weeks prior to surgery. They gave me iron and folic acid pills to help it rejuvenate.

I was glad to have given my own blood since without doing so, I would've probably been bumped another time or two.

The blood has a life of only 35 days (those are the rules here, anyway), so they didn't want to postpone my surgery anymore because they would not be able to use my autologuous blood.
Kev

To Dianne

To Dianne

I did not have to give blood at the Cleveland Clinic. They said their system cleaned and recycled any of my blood that was lost...? Didn't think to ask what it was...a surgical sump pump maybe? ha ha

Good luck Dianne. We're praying for you and looking forward to welcoming you on the other side of that mountain that most of us have discovered was not quite as big as we had imagined it.

Regarding the blood, I gave 3 units of blood, 1 per week, within the month prior to surgery. They wanted at least two weeks between the last blood draw and my surgery. I'm therefore surprised that you might have it drawn the day before. It seems to me that you don't want to diminish your blood supply so close to having surgery. You might want to get your surgeon to clarify that issue.

In any case, keep in touch and we'll be with you all the way to help you however we can through any bumps along the way you might encounter. Godspeed!

P.S. I just remembered, they didn't offer to draw my blood for my surgery; since I work in a hospital I knew about that option without them telling me and so I made a special request to make those 'autologous' blood donations as a precaution so that I wouldn't have to be transfused with anyone else's blood.

Last edited:
Hi Dianne,

Choose a homograph for my replacement. Glad with that decission. Realize there will come a time that I have to have a replacement. By that time there will have been all sorts of improvements. I had wanted to donate blood before. Was told that it was not necessary. My mother told me that when they saw me in ICU they were giving me a transfusion. Felt angry, wanted to have my own blood, not someone elses. The nurse told here that patients who have the full cut loose some blood. I put my faith in God and know all will be ok. Good luck.. martha

Thanks everyone for the info on blood. I had misunderstood my surgeon. He also said that it should be started well before sugery and then supplements are given to build you back up.

I can't stress enough how nice it's been to hear how quickly everyone progresses after surgery. Keep it up!! We're watching your progress.
Dianne

When my primary dr, who knows me for years and what I am supposed to look like, saw me a few weeks after my quad bypass, he said "you look pale" and immediately put me on a Rx iron so some of us must lose enough blood that it needs replacing somehow, but I did not have a transfusion. He sent me to local hosp for a blood test and sure nuff it was low. Others in here have also mentioned anemia afterward.:)

Back