Surgery March 29th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcheshire

Hello All -

I am a returning member to this forum. I found you all in 2003 when I was first diagnosed with heart valve disease. I had Atrial, Tricuspid and Mitral leakage and was just waiting for surgery. The drugs Coreg and Altace helped slow the progress down. I am now 52. December 18th 2009 I had a CVA (stroke) caused by a clot breaking off of a 1.3 cm mass in the left atrial appendage. Since that time my Mitral valve has gone South. The surgeon is going in to take out the mass and will replace the Atrial and Mitral valves with mechanical ones on March 29th. I go Friday for an Angiogram. I've known this was coming but had a hard time getting my head around it. I'm calling to find out what type of mechanical valves the doc wants to put in. I've heard good things about the On-X valve. Dr. Craig Selzman at the University of Utah Hospital is my surgeon. Good to have you all here to bounce ideas off of again. Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome back , Kim. I have a ST Jude mechanical valves. I know members here have good stories about the On-X valve.
Good luck with your surgery. Keep us updated.

Sorry to hear you are facing surgery so soon and wish you the very best.
The wait really is difficult but we're here to help in any way we can.

Just wanted to add my welcome to you, Kim; however, I am sorry for the circumstances. Hoping your angio went well today. Keep us posted.

Kim, thoughts will be with you on the 29th. Lots of prayers also. At least when the surgery comes quickly, gives you less time to stew about it. It's been a long time coming since 2003 but now that it's time, good to get it over with as soon as possible. Lot's of support for you here.

Midge

Hello -

Just posting how the Heart Cath went on Friday. According to my Cardiologist, my Coronary arteries are "pristine". One spot of good news always helps. Now the week of waiting begins. Anyone had soreness after a TEE for 3 weeks? I think the doc who did it tried to beat up the back of my throat and I see bruising and cuts back there. Argh...Thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement. They are helping very much. Pre-op is not scheduled yet but I was told by the surgeon that it will probably be this Friday. Take Care!

Scheduled for AVR, MVR and L atrial appendage mass surgical excision 3/29.

Best wishes for a very successful day of surgery... we will wait, pray and look forward to your first update. Good luck !!!

It will be a long week waiting. The best advice I got from the guys was go have some fun. Do the things you enjoy. I am 1 week post today and bored out of my mind. Good luck you will be in my prayers.

Hi Kim,

From another who just had OHS in St George at Dixie Regional Medical Center, all I can add is that we've got the most caring health care professionals I've ever met. I'm sure the Univ of Utah professionals are on the same level.

You'll be in my prayers for successful surgery and bump-free recovery.

Just wanted to wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery on Monday. I will be thinking of you & saying a prayer that all goes well.

See you on the other side!

Latest posts

Back