Surgery - June 21st @ Wellstar Kennestone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivekd

My Aortic Valve replacement surgery has been scheduled for June 21st 2016 @ Wellstar Kennestone hospital. I had Cardiac Cath procedure on 6/13 and doctors did not find any artery blockage. Today, we'd pre surgery meeting where they did Chest Scan and EKG with blood drawing. I'm going for OnX mechanical aortic valve. I was kinda scared before Cardiac Cath, but after today's pre surgery meeting, I seem to be more relaxed, since nurses were able to answer most of my questions/concerns.

Here are the rough timelines:

6/21 @ 5:00 am -- Checkin
6/21 @ 7:30 am -- Surgery Begin
6/21 @ 11-30 - 12:30 pm -- Surgery End
6/21 @ 2:00 pm -- ICU Setup
6/21 @ 7:00 pm -- Ventilator Tube Removal
6/22 @ 2:00 pm -- Back to Private Room
hospital release somewhere around 6/24 - 6/26

I've been given antibacterial soap to be used 3 times before surgery. Nurse also gave me spirometer to familiarize myself and use it every day 10 times per hour till the surgery.

Looking forward to the surgery, so that I can start a new beginning on the other side.

Couple of questions for fellow members
1) Do I need to take lots of rest before surgery? I need to pick up family and friends Sunday/Monday and need to do lots of unfinished errands before the surgery. Should I finish those on Saturday or can I take care of everything all the way till Monday (Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday)
2) What can i buy (before surgery) for nurse and support staff?

Thanks,,
---- Vivek

Good luck Vivek! I regards to rest before surgery, nothing specifically was mentioned to me, however I assume they also expect patients won't go over the top with activities prior to the big day! The day before my surgery I took it easy. As we were going to be up early the day of the surgery my kids stayed with my grandparents and went there during the day. In the afternoon I watched a movie, had dinner, showered with the special body wash and was asleep by around 10pm for a 5am wake up. For the 2 days prior to that, I decided to really just take it easy. I stayed at home, did basic household chores, played a few video games. My kids had both had colds, and one had gastro in the week before surgery so I didn't want to risk falling ill. Over the top washing of hands/hygine etc. Just me being paranoid. I assume by errands you mean seeing family, finalising stuff at work etc? Things of this nature I imagine are fine, and i think it also depends on your mindset. I wanted to take it easy and relax. Others may wish to keep busy so they don't overthink the surgery. I guess, within reason, do what you feel that you 'need' to do.

I actually worked until midnight the night prior to surgery, and then couldn't sleep. I don't think it mattered (although I wish I did not have to work - had a few items to finish before being out for 8 weeks). We left at 5 am.

All the best for your big day Vivek ! I didn't sleep the night before surgery as I was admitted the day before, as is normal in the UK, and the unfamiliar envirnoment and bed were not conducive to sleep, even with the maximum sleeping medication they gave me ! It didn't matter as I was so "excited" for want of a better word. Be interested to know if your schedule is accurate - I was in surgery for less than three hours which wasn't what we expected so a good surprise !

Your results are good news. I would try to get your stuff done by Sunday or by mid day Monday. I actually worked until 2 pm the day before my surgery, so that I could start to unwind. I think just hanging out on Monday and unwinding is a good idea. Some observations. The tubes and attachments were not as bad as advertised. You will probably blow about a 500 on the spirometer 18-24 hours later but that's fine. While still in ICU, the first time you try to walk with the staff, it will probably be with a walker and it'll take about 20 minutes to walk 10 feet. Again, that's fine. Walk and use spirometer as much as possible. I started to get around late the next day. Sitting around when you think you can walk is not useful. Just ask if you can walk around and be proactive since the nurses are always super busy. Regarding gifts, maybe during your stay, get someone to go to Publix bakery and maybe get some bags of coffee and cookies.

I've been discharged today. They were waiting for my blood INR to reach 2.0 range

I've altready been making 10 rounds of my floor every day

They have booked 5-6 appointments with my PCP. Cardiologist. Cardiac surgeon and neurologist

Glad to see you're out Vivek and doing the exercise, keep going :) I can understand you have all the appointments booked for you to see various docs - curious though why the neurologist ?

I experienced seizure after onX aortic valve replacement
So they prescribed levEtiRacetam aka keppra

I'm supposed to take it for 30 days and then consult neurologist if I need to Connie taking it afterwards

Pleased you are on your recovery road. Wishing a speedy recovery. Ten rounds around your floor sounds good. Keep up walking. Rest when you can

vivekd;n865890 said:
I experienced seizure after onX aortic valve replacement
So they prescribed levEtiRacetam aka keppra

I'm supposed to take it for 30 days and then consult neurologist if I need to Connie taking it afterwards
Hope that it was a one off and that everything works out okay Vivek.

Today is the 8th day post aortic valve replacement procedure. I was discharged two days ago and feel that I'm taking extremely easy, not talking too much and primarily resting.

I've been only walking 1500 steps every days from last two days.

How much should I walk 8th day post a review procedure?
I was also given certain exercises (to be done 4 times a day). I am thinking about starting them after end of the week.

Am I taking too easy?
How less is too less?

Please help,
-- Vivek

I think you have to listen to your body Vivek as there is no one right answer to how much or how little exercise. Perhaps do your walking and then rest, then do a bit more, then rest. If you're in pain take more rest, if no pain maybe more walking. Are you doing stairs ? I was surprised that many in the US don't live in houses but in flats/appartments so don't have stairs, but stairs are very good exercise, but hold on to the bannister and do it slowly as you can easily get exhausted.

If I take my pain medicine every 6 hours, then I'm in no discomfort at all. My incision is healing pretty well, my resting heart rate is going down slowly. It was 46 before surgery, now it's between 60-70.

I live In the 2 floor house, and have no issues taking stairs either.

My mother is already complaining that I'm walking too fast and need to slow down.

I usually end up overdoing things, and therefore taking things slowly at the moment.

I've an appointment with nurse in few hours for blood INR check, so ask her as well.

1,500 steps seems like a little less than a mile. I think that's pretty good. I remember walking maybe 30 minutes per day. I was also taking 3 hour naps the first week.

I'm 6 week post surgery and going to start 12-week cardiac rehab from Monday. I'm already walking 6-8 miles every day with no discomfort. My resting heart rate has come down to 59.

We met our cardiac surgeon and went thru operative report. He told me that contrary to all the results, mine was not a bicuspid valve. Here is the snippet from the operative report

This was a trileaflet valve. The leaflets were fibrotic and appeared rheumatic in nature. This was not a bicuspid valve.

How come my TEE, ECHOs from last 15 yrs, Cat Scan and Cardiac Cath could not identify that mine was not a bicuspid valve? Has this happened to anybody else?

I was surprised to learn my valve was Monocuspid ?!
How that could even work is beyond me.
Anyway, I'm about five weeks out so we're pretty close.

Back