Surgery is coming soon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa2

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Good morning all. Here I am wide awake at 0400 thinking about a phone call from my cardio a few days ago. I have been having some trouble with blood pressure (now stabile) recently and my cardio ordered an echo because he wanted to check my aorta. In the 4 months since my last echo, my valve has gone from moderate with a mean gradient of 32 to severe. Valve area .8cm2, meant gradient 41, and 4.12m/s velocity. He says I should realistically plan for surgery in the next 6-12 months.

I was not expecting that phone call. I thought I was prepared to face the next surgery and one phone call showed me that I am not. I have been monitored every six months for the past 3 years or so and the valve has been holding steady in the moderate range so it came as a bit of a shock to hear it was now severe and go see your surgeon, etc. I will see my surgeon at the end of May. I already have a disc of my echo ready for him and it's going in the mail today so he can see things for himself.

I have been sitting here pondering the best time of year to have surgery and I think I've missed my window. Ideally, March would be my choice so I could be at home recovering during the lovely Spring we have here in the panhandle. My second choice is Fall. We'll see what Dr. Davies thinks in May. Think he will say next March is okay?

I am am grateful to have this forum to send my thoughts out into cyberspace and connect with some of you. It helps to just have a place to "go."

Imhope you all have a good day.

Lisa, so sorry to learn that you will be undergoing another surgery. Do you have symptoms besides the blood pressure issue? I had replacement in early June, and that turned out to be a good time to recuperate. A surgeon might have a different time frame for when the surgery should take place. Keep us updated if you don't mind. Mary

Latest posts

Back