Surgery in June

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbecker

I have not written for a long time. Have been seeing doctors
and setting up plans for surgery, MVR. Looks like I will go
to UCLA. When I went in to visit with the surgeon he indicated
to me he would do my surgery as a minimal invasive procedure
if possible, 4 in incision under the Rt. breast. I would be placed
on a heart and lung machine, but he would not open my sternum
if all goes well. I was surprised because I thought that only occurred
with a repair. He will also do a Maze procedure and tie off an appendage
on the Lt atrium which is very enlarged. I will get more details from him. I
continue to try to decide about a valve type, so many of you that write in
seem to have AVR done, with mine being mitral. Wondering if there is
more ware and tear on the mitral thus maybe better to go with a mechanical
or at least this is what every doctor I have spoken to indicates.

I noticed that you list warafin as a drug you take, so it seems to me that you would choose a mechanical valve.
When you receive your surgery date, will you let us know so we can place it on the surgical calendar?
In the meantime, best wishes in getting everything situated before surgery.:)

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. What day will it take place?

Minimally invasive surgery is possible not only for repairs, but also for replacements. That was the surgeon's plan when I had mine. I remember asking him if I did need a replacement if he'd have to cut me the "old-fashioned way," and he said he'd be able to replace my valve through minimally invasive means. I had a repair, but I'm sure any type of replacement valve is fine in the mitral position.

Best,
Debi (debster913)

Keep us updated and let us know how you're doing!

Thanks for your notes, at this time they have scheduled my heart cath for June 15 and
surgery for June 17. After reading others experiences I know this could change. I do
know the surgeon will be gone the last week of the month so it will be before that. I
will keep you posted, will need lost of encouragement!

Good luck, lbeckeer! I had Aortic and Mitral valve replacement too at UCLA with mechanical valves. Since you are already taking Warfarin, so you most probably will go mechanical. My surgeon removed my left appendage too.

UCLA is a great hospital and has been ranked No. 3 Nationwide for heart surgeries for the last three years. You should not have any fears or anxiety.

Eva, thanks for the note. Dr. Shemin is to do my surgery also. It
is encouraging to hear that you felt good about your care. I have
appreciated this site and being able to communicate with those who
are and have experienced many of the same things I am. Laura

Hi Ibecker,Good luck with your surgery. Even I was told I will have an minimal invasive surgery .But becoz of my heart position I had finally a minimal invasive mini sternotomy for my AVR.

grammyfour, thanks for the info. I have heard lots of good about this hospital, but
the recent report sure helps me. The blest as you recover.

Laura,

All the nurses are really great and top notch. But just in case you like one more than the other, you can request that nurse to stay with you, especially the night nurses. I will do my best to visit you while you are there.

Good luck again.

I have not written for a long time. Have been seeing doctors
and setting up plans for surgery, MVR. Looks like I will go
to UCLA. When I went in to visit with the surgeon he indicated
to me he would do my surgery as a minimal invasive procedure
if possible, 4 in incision under the Rt. breast. I would be placed
on a heart and lung machine, but he would not open my sternum
if all goes well. I was surprised because I thought that only occurred
with a repair. He will also do a Maze procedure and tie off an appendage
on the Lt atrium which is very enlarged. I will get more details from him. I
continue to try to decide about a valve type, so many of you that write in
seem to have AVR done, with mine being mitral. Wondering if there is
more ware and tear on the mitral thus maybe better to go with a mechanical
or at least this is what every doctor I have spoken to indicates.

The Mitral Valve is more prone to Clot Formation than the Aortic Valve so a valve with a Low propensity for clot formation is desirable.

Tissue Valves have the lowest propensity for clot formation but can wear out in 10 to 20 years, depending on type and Your Age. The younger you are, the faster that Tissue Valves wear out. Over 60, the Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve has a good chance of lasting 20 years or so.

The Mechanical Valve with the Lowest Propensity for Clot Formation (and a barrier to prevent / retard Pannus Growth) is the On-X valve. See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com for details.

'AL Capshaw'

I think that making the decision about which valve is so stressful. What I find interesting
is both of the surgeons I spoke with recommended the St. Jude. I had thought the
On-X seemed maybe a better choice, yet not that many are doing them yet, why do
you think that is? I really only want to have one surgery so want to choose the
one which will last the longest, so therefore not really looking at tissue, especially since
I am on Warfarin already and no way to know if I would have to continue or not.
Thanks for the encouragement and information, it is really appreciated.

I think that making the decision about which valve is so stressful. What I find interesting is both of the surgeons I spoke with recommended the St. Jude. I had thought the On-X seemed maybe a better choice, yet not that many are doing them yet, why do you think that is? I really only want to have one surgery so want to choose the one which will last the longest, so therefore not really looking at tissue, especially since
I am on Warfarin already and no way to know if I would have to continue or not. Thanks for the encouragement and information, it is really appreciated.

There have been lots of threads and posts on this in valve selection forum. My recommendation to you is to do your own research, and do as much as you can. Contact the valve manufacturers themselves if you have any questions or need more information. You need to be comfortable with whatever your choice is. The person that will have to live with the valve is you, not the surgeon.

My Cardiologist said that if he were in my shoes, he would go with the St Jude, just because of the years of reliability, and a proven track record.

Many things come into play when deciding on a valve. I myself have not decided which to do.

I am crafting a series of questions to ask my surgeon about the St. Jude valve and
the On-X because I am trying to decide between the two. I also have a call into Catherine
Burnett at On-X to ask some questions. Have not called St. Jude yet, I will though. If
anyone has a specific suggestions as to a specific person and # to call St. Jude I would
appreciate that info. It is interesting when I asked my Cardiologist he said I probably
have more info than him, seems he was not up on the valves at all, interesting. You
are correct Harry many things play into the choice, so I am trying to form a plan
A which I think would be best for me and then have an understanding with the
surgeon that once he get in there, if plan B is better he will go for that. Plus I
am doing a lot of praying! Laura

I think that making the decision about which valve is so stressful. What I find interesting
is both of the surgeons I spoke with recommended the St. Jude. I had thought the
On-X seemed maybe a better choice, yet not that many are doing them yet, why do
you think that is? I really only want to have one surgery so want to choose the
one which will last the longest, so therefore not really looking at tissue, especially since
I am on Warfarin already and no way to know if I would have to continue or not.
Thanks for the encouragement and information, it is really appreciated.

On-X is 'relatively new' in the USA (if you consider 70,000 valves in 13 years on the World Market and 8 years in the USA to be 'relatively new'). On-X has an uphill battle to get into Hospitals who put their valve business up for competitive bid. It comes down to a Price War as substantiated to some of our members by their surgeons.

I have written extensively on the On-X valve since I believe it to be the Best Choice for Reduced Risk of Clot Formation and Longevity (due to the built in Barrier to retard/prevent Pannus Tissue Growth). Do a Search for On-X and my screen name to get a listing of those posts.

Have you contacted Catheran Burnett yet?
Her office info is 888-339-8000 ext. 265 or [email protected]
I gave her Cell Phone number to Ross or you could probably get it through someone at their Headquarters.

'AL Capshaw'

I am crafting a series of questions to ask my surgeon about the St. Jude valve and
the On-X because I am trying to decide between the two. I also have a call into Catherine
Burnett at On-X to ask some questions. Have not called St. Jude yet, I will though. If
anyone has a specific suggestions as to a specific person and # to call St. Jude I would
appreciate that info. It is interesting when I asked my Cardiologist he said I probably
have more info than him, seems he was not up on the valves at all, interesting. You
are correct Harry many things play into the choice, so I am trying to form a plan
A which I think would be best for me and then have an understanding with the
surgeon that once he get in there, if plan B is better he will go for that. Plus I
am doing a lot of praying! Laura

You'd be surprised on how little specific info you can get out of a cardiologist when if comes to the differences in the valves.

I felt as if I offended him by asking a question that he did not know, and maybe should have known.

Granted, they have specific training to identify & treat heart issues, and since they do not fix or repair the valves, their info would be limited to what they do on a daily basis, although I'm sure there are a few here & there who take pride in being informed about everything to do with the heart.

Harry, you are right. I am trying to do the research and talk to those who have
gone before in this procedure. Spoke to C. Burnett at On-X she shared info and
sent me info which has been of help in answering questions. My surgeon has
said he would put in the On-X even though if it were him or his family it would
be the St. Jude. I've heard others say their surgeons have may similar comments,
I think they all went to the same conference, ha! Anyway I'm very seriously
leaning the On-X way, will decide shortly. Laura

Back