Surgery date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised they are not doing the Aorta. My doctors always said whichever triggers surgery first will get both replaced. Keep a positive attitude, get up and start walking as soon as they tell you and keep busy not to dwell on your surgery. I was working right away, had my laptop and it kept me busy and mind off what I was going through. After first days, once they remove most of the tubes and stuff it is liberating and you will be feeling great. listen to the doctors. Keep a pillow close as coughing or sneezing will suck big time. Best of luck.

Hi all, I'm in Northland New Zealand. My husband was diagnosed with severe Aortic Stenosis last October. He had the angiogram and other pre-op tests about a month ago. We got a call saying we should plan to be in Auckland City hospital for a replacement in the first week of July (next week) but they couldn't give us an exact date. We are 2 hours drive from Auckland and have to organise accommodation for me, our son and daughter in law while he is in hospital but we can't book anything until we have a confirmed date. I hope they will let us know a date within the next day or two because it is stressful enough without having to worry about finding accom close to the hospital. They said he will be admitted the day before the surgery so my query is to anyone who has gone through this at Auckland City - what time do they usually want you there the day before? We are driving down from Whangarei so have to plan this out. Any tips would be most appreciated. Kia ora.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm in Northland New Zealand. My husband was diagnosed with severe Aortic Stenosis last October. He had the angiogram and other pre-op tests about a month ago. We got a call saying we should plan to be in Auckland City hospital for a replacement in the first week of July (next week) but they couldn't give us an exact date. We are 2 hours drive from Auckland and have to organise accommodation for me, our son and daughter in law while he is in hospital but we can't book anything until we have a confirmed date. I hope they will let us know a date within the next day or two because it is stressful enough without having to worry about finding accom close to the hospital. They said he will be admitted the day before the surgery so my query is to anyone who has gone through this at Auckland City - what time do they usually want you there the day before? We are driving down from Whangarei so have to plan this out. Any tips would be most appreciated. Kia ora.
Hi @Rainbow

Extraordinary they can’t give you a date so that you can make preliminary travel and accommodation plans. Them simply stating first week of July seems a bit vague and unhelpful.

I hope you get a confirmed date soon and things don’t get too stressful. The best to your husband for his upcoming surgery.

*You might want to repost this question in its own separate thread, in case it’s missed by visitors to this site due to being buried in my thread.

Hi @Rainbow

Extraordinary they can’t give you a date so that you can make preliminary travel and accommodation plans. Them simply stating first week of July seems a bit vague and unhelpful.

I hope you get a confirmed date soon and things don’t get too stressful. The best to your husband for his upcoming surgery.

*You might want to repost this question in its own separate thread, in case it’s missed by visitors to this site due to being buried in my thread.
Thank you - Sorry I'm not good at this. I just saw Surgery Date and thought it was where I should put the post. I will figure out how to put it somewhere else.

I am surprised they are not doing the Aorta. My doctors always said whichever triggers surgery first will get both replaced. Keep a positive attitude, get up and start walking as soon as they tell you and keep busy not to dwell on your surgery. I was working right away, had my laptop and it kept me busy and mind off what I was going through. After first days, once they remove most of the tubes and stuff it is liberating and you will be feeling great. listen to the doctors. Keep a pillow close as coughing or sneezing will suck big time. Best of luck.
Surgeons do things their way. Strange isn't it. Not all surgeons agree, but you have final say.

You sound upbeat so that is great. You got some good advice but here's a tip I'm not sure I've seen on the forum. I was absolutely parched when I awoke and begged the nurse for multiple glasses of water, which didn't sit well with the anesthesia, causing me to vomit the water back up. Doc told my family I had to stay an extra day in ICU because of that.

You sound upbeat so that is great. You got some good advice but here's a tip I'm not sure I've seen on the forum. I was absolutely parched when I awoke and begged the nurse for multiple glasses of water, which didn't sit well with the anesthesia, causing me to vomit the water back up. Doc told my family I had to stay an extra day in ICU because of that.
Hello @honeybunny 🙂 Hope all good with you.

Thank you for the really great tip. 👌🏼

Latest posts

Back