Surgery date!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mrfox;n884198 said:
Just had chest drains and catheter removed- both very new experiences to me!!

yep, I'm backing Warwick on that one ... I guess that its one of those things in life that
1) does make you stronger
2) very few get to experience and you just can't explain it to anyone who hasn't had it happen.

glad you've got the right approach to it all :)

I did indeed. Having a sudden dip today, feeling a lot of pain since the drains came out and moved to w room on own with less people around.

It's. So. Hot. Feels rough!

mrfox;n884206 said:
Having a sudden dip today, feeling a lot of pain since the drains came out and moved to w room on own with less people around.

It's. So. Hot. Feels rough!
Nice to see you on forum so soon after surgery - welcome to the other side !

I feel for you with the pain getting worse now - I wonder if they have changed your pain meds ? I remember when I was in ICU with drains and everything that I had no pain and felt very well, but when I was moved to high dependency the pain got bad. They had taken me off what was probably morphine and put me on tramadol and dihydrocodeine which didn't work for me. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have asked for a different pain med - might be an option for you or ask for a higher dose - these hospitals pride themselves of giving good pain relief.

The weather is hot. The Royal Brompton doesn't have air con so I imagine the Harefield, its sister hospital might be the same. Do you have a fan in your room ?

You're right on every front Anne. It's cooler now and exploring different pain management options. Definetely had a wobble!

Did you have a sternotomy or a thoracotomy (as I did) ? I gather the former can be much more painful. How our experiences differ. My chest drains stayed in for at least a week. Also I never remember any real pain from the surgery.
I hope they get your pain control right.
Geoff

Yes I ended up having the full sternotomy as my surgeon was worried about access, hence the chest pain. They're telling me I'll be back on a standard ward tomorrow some time. All drainage gone now except for one line for medicine in my neck. I think they pulled all that stuff off quite fast as everything had been uncomplicated (so far!!!)

mrfox;n884208 said:
Getting a full breath is painful work!

do you have the little 3 balls thing that you have to exersize with on breathing? If yest then totally do that ... daily. Sit straight too.

If it gives you much comfort the "mini sternotomy" vs regular on pain revealed they're about the same

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022522308013081

something to read if nothing else ;-)

do your breathing exersizes
don't cough

Best Wishes

No incentive spirometers! I asked! Waking up is hardest - first time getting a good sleep is also longest time without pain relief. I am learning ben things about my ability to tolerate discomfort and what is important. I'm very lucky to be surrounded by good friends when they can visit.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q964QXKu1PMdZXNUA

mrfox;n884223 said:
No incentive spirometers! I asked!
We don't seem to be given incentive spirometers here in the UK. I don't know why (my respiratory consultant even wrote in his pre-surgery report that I should have something like that but I wasn't given one) We get physiotherapists (not nearly as nice as some nurses) giving us breathing exercises to do instead.

I've not seen a physio yet either, they're wanting me to get mobile today, more walking and lose the central line painkillers

mrfox, hope you are home now and feeling a bit better. So sorry you have had a rough time. So proud you are so proactive. Keep it up. It will get better.

Latest posts

Back