Surgery date!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfox

Hello all,

Just got my surgery date which is set to be this coming Monday. I'm frankly a bit shocked by the short notice, but looks like the show is on the road.

As I'm on the NHS I guess there's a chance it will still be bumped for a more urgent case. I'll try to keep in touch as things progress.

Bloody hell!

All the best mrfox. I hope you don't get delayed by post-op complications, and especially that you don't get bumped off the list.
My fingers will be crossed for you !
Geoff

mrfox we will be waiting to hear from you when you feel up to it. Think POSITIVE and take good care of you now! Good Luck!

Thanks everyone! I must admit I'm pretty nervous but I imagine that's normal. Here's hoping for no pacemaker and getting all the tubes and wires out quickly!

Although I ended up with a pacemaker, I do believe that once you get to surgery the NHS is one of the finest places to have this kinda thing done. Over the last 3 years of reading posts here, the lengths to which hospitals go to in order to ensure a sterile environment and speedy recovery is truly world class. You will be in great hands. See you on the other side!

If Monday is your surgery date, you'll be ringing Admissions about 2 pm. Really hope you get the go-ahead !
Geoff

Sitting now all hibi scrubbed and ready for surgery. Frankly I'm terrified, but mostly of waking up full of new holes! It's been a surreal couple of days but looks like the next message I post will be from the other side.

PS: one of the nurses on my ward is in fact a friend from the local area.. not sure if a blessing or curse seeing as I've seen her on nights out!

mrfox;n884178 said:
Maple yes and first up!

After spending two and a half weeks on Maple, I know and love them all. Who's the nurse ?
You may end up back on another ward though !
Geoff

I wouldn't worry about waking up with extra holes - when I woke up there was sun streaming in through a window and because of the anaesthetic and pain meds I didn't feel anything, and I remember that my first thought was "this is a nice hotel"!! Then slowly I became aware of the tube down my throat - no discomfort, just knew it would be a bad idea to move or talk, so I lay there until the nurses noticed I had come around.

I'm alive! Operation went very well and recovery is good so far. Plenty of meds for the pain and about Tuesday have the chest drains our. I'll attempt a more thorough update later.

Latest posts

Back