Surgery date set

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leecrowley

Hello to all,

I haven't posted in a little while. If you remember, I live in Tulsa and was looking for a surgeon in Dallas. I found a surgeon in Dallas to do my AVR.....Dr. William Ryan at Presbyterian Hospital. We're going to shoot for The Ross Procedure, with the Medtronic Freestyle tissue valve/root as a back up plan. In looking over my Cath and echoes, he found no reason that he couldn't do the Ross. Of course there are no guarantees about that. I feel very comfortable that he will only proceed with it if everything looks perfect. He is quite impressive to talk to, and seems like a great guy. Anyway....my surgery is scheduled for August 8.

Since I have several weeks until my surgery, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you all. It's great that this forum is such a wealth of information. You all make a very stressful and fearful situation a lot easier to deal with by answering some of the unknowns for the 'newbies'. You all are a God send.

As a side note, my wife and I had a gorgeous baby boy on May 19. His name is Jackson Lee Crowley. Mother and baby are doing great.

On to my first of many questions.......I've read several posts about having lots of pillows....at the hospital, in the van for the drive home in my case, and also at home. I'm really wondering how many pillows I need. I know this can be variable depending on personal preference. Can any of you please give me examples of how many pillows you used during the recovery? At this time, we have about 6 regular sleeping pillows (some hard, some thin and very soft) and one body-length pillow my wife used during the pregnacy. I feel like I'll need more, but don't really want to go out and buy 10 more pillows unless some of you suggest it. :)

That's all for now. Thank you so much for all of the great information everyone provides.

Lee

Congratulations on the New baby!

I had no less than 6 pillows in the hospital...My shoulders and back really hurt me something fierce. I still have problems with my right shoulder at times...I didn't realize they put such a stretch on you during the surgery.I had pillows under my shoulders arms and back....I also found it easier to sleep on the sofa than my recliner. Easier to roll out of than to reach the lever on the chair. Man, its only been 10 months but it feels like a life time ago. Just make sure they give you plenty of good drugs and don't worry about taking them as long as you need them!

Lee:

I used about 6 pillows @ home. Also, bought a body pillow -- maybe it's a king-size pillow -- and used that to help me roll out of bed. I also hugged it when I slept on my side. And yes, it is possible to sleep on your side right after OHS. I had never been able to sleep on my left side -- too uncomfortable -- and so I've been a right-side sleeper all my life. I was amazed that I was able to sleep COMFORTABLY on my left side in the hospital. Well, as comfortably as you can sleep post-op and in a hospital with lots of noise.

Good luck with the surgery. Since Dr. Ryan is your surgeon, you should do just fine. And Presby is a fine hospital; my sister has had several surgeries there and liked it.

Hi! Welcome back. I've put you on the calendar for an August 8 surgery!! :) Please let us know if there are any changes. We'll be able to keep you closely in mind that way!

Congratulations on the birth of your son. I'm so glad that you will have all this time to get to know him before your surgery. He will obviously be key in your recovery.......you'll be amazed at how fast he changes from day to day and you won't want to miss a moment.......can't think of a better incentive than that!! :D

Pillows. Sounds like you have a good and quite adequate selection! I found it was useful to have my family bring me a few old scuzzy ones once I got out of CICU. The hospital pillows were hard as a rock! (used 2 of them, 2 of mine). At home, well, if I wasn't in my recliner, in bed I sat up for a month! Couldn't get onto my side as many here have been able to do. I used 5 pillows of varying squooshiness to sit up. In the car I just used a fairly soft bed pillow under the shoulder belt.

One thing that I would have done abit differently would be to have traded bathroom drawers with my husband so I would not have the bottom drawer. Also would've brought dishes/bowls to an easier level (but you may not be doing much cooking). For me (and I have very long arms) the reaching has been difficult, and the leaning over hurts. Nice to have things at waist level!

Good to hear from you. Take care!

Marguerite

Glad you've got your date and a plan of action; August 8 will be here sooner than you think.:)
Congratulations also on the new baby. We're suckers for babies around here, so I think you've been blessed by the addition of a new family member.
I only had one pillow with me in the hospital; a "cushie" (tradename) that fit around my neck. I could smoosh it into all kinds of shapes, and I used it the entire time. Actually I'm still using it! I think that 6 pillows and a body pillow would be enough. Just make sure the hospital doesn't lose them!
Mary

Back