Surgery Date- get to keep my valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCheart

Monday, 5/21. I get to keep my valve but I still need the aneurysm cut out. I'm terrified. I'm scared to not being the same, to potential brain damage, a stroke and everything in between...

I know facing and working through these feelings are part of the process but, ugh. It is still scary.

Thank you everyone for being so welcoming.

Hi

OCheart;n882903 said:
...I'm terrified. I'm scared to not being the same, to potential brain damage, a stroke and everything in between...

I know facing and working through these feelings are part of the process but, ugh. It is still scary.

you're on the right track. The old saying "what does not kill us makes us stronger" works here at many levels.

I once read a book that had the following Litany in it:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"375","width":"567","src":"https:\/\/thesithlibrary.files.wordpress.com\/2008\/03\/quote-litanyagainstfear.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I found it an important "mantra" before examx at Uni

If you keep thinking that thought and see that when the time has passed over you and you remain that you will find indeed that you are stronger for it all. ... Of course you must go through it or nothing can happen. The metal must be quenched to become stronger.

Keep us posted ;-)

Hi, if it's any consolation, I had my aortic valve replaced and my aneurysm cut out and repaired 11 months ago. I am doing fine and I'm better than I have been in many years. This type of surgery, though serious, is pretty routine these days. With the right surgical team you should do just fine. Good luck and take care.

I had my aortic valve replaced and aneurysm removed (St Jude valve conduit - Dacron graft) three years ago this week. As the above poster said, it is of course scary for us but routine for these surgeons. Happy to answer any questions. I was 41 at the time and went back to work 8 weeks later. I would encourage you to make use of cardiac rehab if it is available to you. So helpful!

I had my valve repaired 3 years ago and my root, ascending and hemi arch were replaced. I'm fine and no more brain damaged then before surgery.

I had my aortic valve and ascending aorta replaced 9 months ago now at 28 years old. My life is very much like it was before except for having to take Warfarin and manage my INR. Apart from that I have been given no restrictions on exercise which I do regularly including weightlifting.

All the best for the upcoming surgery, focus on your recovery and take your time.

Hey Rob

Rob88;n882922 said:
. My life is very much like it was before except for having to take Warfarin and manage my INR. Apart from that I have been given no restrictions on exercise which I do regularly including weightlifting.

Good to hear and I am glad that things are doing well for you :)

Latest posts

Back