Surgery Date Confirmed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

djexec

As of last week, I have finally confirmed my surgery date. I will go into St. Josephs Hospital here in Atlanta on January 13th for pre-testing and my surgery will be on January 18th. I chose Dr. Alan Wolfe to operate on me and my first choice is for him to leave my BAV in place and just correct my aneurysm. If it requires replacing I have chosen to go the tissue route and will go with either the CE Magna bovine or the Medtronics Freestyle porcine...i prefer the former doc prefers the later...perhaps we'll have to thumb wrestle to see which will wind up in the 2nd place position. This site has been an incredible resource to me and Im very thankful to have found it. Thanks to all of you for your support, encouragement and insights into what would otherwise be the "great unknown".

I do have a couple of questions in preparing for surgery. I have heard mixed thoughts on giving your own blood prior to surgery. Is there any sort of consensus on this matter. My surgeon suggested against it for fear of going into surgery anemic. Alternatively, he suggested taking 325 mg ferrous sulfate (iron supplement) 1-2x day for 3 weeks prior to surgery to build up additional blood in my body. Anyone have thoughts on this? I also purchased a case of Novartis Impact which is said to aid in preparing the body for surgery in addition to fighting post op infection. I got this info from http://www.emersonecologics.com/Newswire.asp?id=58 Has anyone else looked into vitamin supplements prior to surgery & post op?

Anyway, thanks again for all your support. Be well!

From the waiting room...
Deane

Happy to hear you have settled on a date. I will pray that all goes well for you.

I never really did anything to prepare for my surgeries so I cannot address your questions. I am sure others will be in to comment.

A recliner and lots of easily prepared foods will help for when you get home from the hospital.

Best of luck to you.

Deane

Deane

I am happy to know that you are going to St. Joseph's and with my surgeons.:) Hope all is good, like mine was..check in early..go back to be prepped..get a good-feel shot and wake up 2 days later.:) Never remember anything..St. Joseph's has 5 star nurses..They keep you out.:D ..You may not see Dr. Wolfe again..I had different partners to check on me each day..BUT..they are all..so good-looking.:D ..Remember, as soon as you can..get out of bed and walk the nurses station. Round room..They can watch you...Gets the nasty drugs out of your body......Food will taste yucky..You can have someone stay in your room. they have a good fold-out chair that makes into a bed...Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.Look under Granbonny on the members list. I will put you on our calendar on VR.Com..so we can all wish you luck..Bonnie

I have been in the waiting room for about ten years. Four years ago I saw Dr Wolfe. When my time comes for surgery he will be my first choice for a surgeon. I also have talked to a guy who had a ross done by Dr. Wolfe. I also know a young girl who had her pulmonary valve replace by Dr. Wolfe.

Here are some facts on St. Joseph?s:
Saint Joseph?s hospital is the only hospital in Georgia to offer minimally-invasive open heart surgery using Intuitive?s daVinci robot. It is one of Georgia?s only two adult heart transplant centers. Saint Joseph?s has the 12th largest cardiac program in the country.

Best of luck and I will keep you in my prayers.

Hi Deane,
Can't help with the vitamin questions but I can tell you that St. Josephs and Alan Wolfe are my first choices. A friend of my wife is a cardiac rehab nurse at Emory and told me she would go to St Josephs for this as her first choice also.

Hi Deane:

I applaud you for attempting to optimize your health before having surgery. My dear friend Nurse Mary has had me taking iron and other supplements in preparation for the eventuality, even. I would be a little wary of ferrous sulfate, however, especially at that dose. I was told ferrous gluconate was easier to digest (i.e., no stomach or other GI problems), but then I'm only taking 25mg.

Thanks for the confirmations on the qualifications of my surgeon & for the quality check on St. Josephs. PJ thanks also for your thoughts on iron supplementation. I just picked up the bottle of ferrous sulfate & 325mg translates to 65mg of iron. I was forewarned by my doc that this dose would have a tendency to "clog the pipes" so he suggested taking it with metamucil or some other form of laxative. In the meantime, I have begun taking liquid iron (Floradix Iron+Herbs) which has 10mg of ferrous gluconate. Thanks again!

Back