Surgery date: Aug. 22

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Norsworthy

I'll be glad to get it over with, so I can get on with my life interrupted. Dr. Jones from Saint Alphonsus Regional Hospital in Boise will do the surgery. He's going to start out with a partial sternotomy & if he can't get to all the goodies, he'll make a full incision. I really wanted off-pump, but I'll have to go on the heart/lung machine. I'm sure I'll be chasing nurses down the hall the day after surgery...in my dreams! Haha.

I sure am glad I found this site; it's been a big help & a great comfort. Thank you all.

Great to see you will get this behind you. Ive had two open heart surgerys and the last one just ten weeks ago today for arotic valve replacement was much easier than the first by pass surgery. A few tips. When you wake up lay very still if you still have the breathing tub in.Dont panic and fight it, if you do as I did the first time you will have a sore throat for weeks, not fun, the last surgery I was aware of this and no sore throat at all . As soon as you are fully awake they will take it out. I did not have pain But my back was very sore for days, it only started to get better on day three when they took out the drain tubes. At that point you can start walking and walk as much as you can. At first it is a little tough but you will be amaised at how fast you can walk even more ,a lot more even before you are discharged. Remember the waiting is hell and the surgery is a blessing. And to give you a little hope I now walk seven miles a day six days a week at ten weeks post AVR with my new ONX valve.

Ray,
All the best. I am 4 weeks post op and feel great. You will feel the same, I promise you.
Feel free to post any questions (no matter how stupid you think it is). This is a wonderful community that will provide answers. They really came through for me.

Ray,

I'm right there with you on wanting to get it done and moving on with my life. I am looking to have my surgery in October (date to be confirmed in the next two weeks.

Best of luck to you, I'll be thinking of you on the 22nd.

Dan

Thank you all very much; it means a lot! Sorry I'm late with this reply. On the spur of the moment we went camping in the beautiful mountains around Sun Valley. Set up camp on the bank of the Big Wood River. Sure was relaxing. 70 degrees during the day, 40 at night.

Thank you all very much; it means a lot! Sorry I'm late with this reply. On the spur of the moment we went camping in the beautiful mountains around Sun Valley. Set up camp on the bank of the Big Wood River. Sure was relaxing. 70 degrees during the day, 40 at night.

Sounds like it was fun. I wanted to wish you well on your upcoming surgery. I just had my AVR done 10 days ago. You do feel better day by day. It'll be great to get the surgery behind and get on the road to recovery. For me the first week after surgery was very tough but it can be done God Bless you.

Sounds like it was fun. I wanted to wish you well on your upcoming surgery. I just had my AVR done 10 days ago. You do feel better day by day. It'll be great to get the surgery behind and get on the road to recovery. For me the first week after surgery was very tough but it can be done God Bless you.

Latest posts

Back