Surgery coming soon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry to hear that hopefully they get things figured out soon and you can go home. Even tho you are in the best place to be right now, I know it stinks to have to stay a little longer. Hopefully this will make it that when you get hme you can stay there and no more bumps

So I am finally home.

Here is a brief overview of what happened according to my sister (she used to be a nurse)

The surgeon had told my family that i should be out in 5 hours with me being relatively young and healthy. 5 hours came and went, then 6, and then 7 went he finally came out to talk to them. When they got into the surgery things were not quite what they had expected. Since I was born with this (BAV) my heart had compensated by building up with more muscle and larger. There was also a fair amount of calcification build up on the valve and root. All of this also caused my heart not to be in the correct place. After 7 hours they thought they had got everything. 2 hours later I was being taken back in as I had a bleeder and was bleeding out nicely. So, my surgery, which was to be about 5 hours long turned out to be 2 surgeries for a total of 12 hours.

The next day I guess I was in a fair amount of pain but starting to come back to my old self. Day 2 (feb 2) was not quite as planned. I was extubated and they had me sitting on the edge of the bed. Soon afterwards I started having chest and back pains (I unfortunately remember this). From what I understand, one of my drains was not working and there was fluid buildup around my heart. When they shifted me for an echo, the drain opened up and things began to settle back to normal. By the weekend, the surgeon said that there was a 1% chance that I would need another surgery. Fortunately it was not needed. it all just meant a longer hospital stay than planned.

So happy to be through all of this now

Isn't it amazing what they can find and fix in the cardiac ICU. Events that are death defying are just considered as bumps in the road with a great team. It's good to hear that you are home, since that's where you make the biggest strides in your recovery.

Back