Supper time and warfarin ....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover

Just wondering if anyone has ever compared different times of the day for warfarin dosing and INR results ? I've always taken my warfarin at bedtime about 3.5 hours or so after I eat supper. Does anyone know if the Vitamin K in veggies, salad greens eaten for supper at 6:30 - 7:00~ish p.m will interact with evening warfarin taken 3 to 4 hours later.?

Reactions: Amy
P.S. I've always taken warfarin at night so I could hold a dose if necessary due to INR results drawn at the Clinic during daytime hours....anyone know what is the best time of the day to take warfarin to have best results of anticoagulant, most stable INRs?

I really don't think the time of day makes any difference in taking warfarin. Just try to develop a routine to always take it at that time. That's why I take warfarin upon getting out of bed in the AM with all my other drugs. As soon as you think you've figured out how, when, and why warfarin reacts with your eating habits or diet it will throw you a curveball and destroy your ah-ha moment.

I've tried measurement at different times with warfarin and it doesn't make a significant difference (unlike acenocoumarol) because the way warfarin works is like this:
you have a bucket which takes 2 days to empty through a hole, you want to maintain a level between A and B in the bucket. You tip in an amount of water every day.

Eventually you reach a balance (which take about 4 days)

So there is no "best time" to measure and take, particularly as one measures once a week. I myself measure in the AM and take in the PM ... based on my AM measurement I may or may not change my dose.

Let me know if you want more details on what I do and why

Im doing sporadic nightshifts at work at the moment and I sometimes forget to take my dose before I go, so I just take it when I get home the next morning, and then take my evening dose as normal, so some days its been 0mg and other days 20mg (Im on 10mg a day at the moment) and my INR was 2.2 this morning, so when taken seems irrelevant.

Im doing sporadic nightshifts at work at the moment and I sometimes forget to take my dose before I go
dude, how ya been?

Just wondering is this guy one of your mechanics?

1613730849491.png

Just wondering if anyone has ever compared different times of the day for warfarin dosing and INR results ? I've always taken my warfarin at bedtime about 3.5 hours or so after I eat supper. Does anyone know if the Vitamin K in veggies, salad greens eaten for supper at 6:30 - 7:00~ish p.m will interact with evening warfarin taken 3 to 4 hours later.?

You can take warfarin whenever you want, just do it at the same general time. Some people say their INR clinic wants them to take it in the evening, but that's just so they have all day to decide what your dose should be :)

Eating Vit K does not provide a quick INR change, don't worry about when you eat your salad.

Along these same lines, I’ve wondered—-if I overdose on vitamin k foods one day, when will it show up in my inr? Will inr next day reflect the vitamin k or will it take a day or 2. If I have an “off” inr and I know what caused it (and that cause is no longer in place) then I don’t want to change warfarin. I will do another check in a few days.

-if I overdose on vitamin k foods one day, when will it show up in my inr?
To have a milligram of vitamin K you'll be shocked how much kale or spinach that is. You'll be juicing for a while...

A little experiment I participated in with the gym guy. I encourage you to measure out a kg of spinach

Day 1. No Coumadin.
11am 2.6 INR
12pm 400g of raw blended spinach
4pm 2.3 INR
4:30pm 150g or raw blended spinach
10pm - INR 2.3 (measured twice) no change.
10pm - another 400g of fresh blended spinach
Off to sleep - Note: in 24 hours consumed - 1000g of fresh spinach
Day 2. No Coumadin.
8am 1.8 INR

Last edited:
Back