Sudden valve replacement, Asymptotic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aalok jain

Hi Aalok Jain here i am 22 yr old from India and had many ambition in life. One of them is to study abroad . So on october 6,2020 I go for a medical visa appointment and physician told me your heart has a different murr murr sound and I was worried and ask many questions to her . She said murr murr is normal some times and may be critical so I had to go for another tests . She done my ECG and it shows Left ventricular Hypertrophy is present in my heart and I am unaware of these terms. I come home normally and took an appointment from a cardiologist and he done my echo cardiography and there my life change . He found my valve has critical regurgitation and my gradient is also critically high so he suggest me to go for a surgery in a week. I went for another clinic and they found the same . So I finally go for On-X mechanical valve replacement on 17 October with lots of confidence and positive attitude . I wake up in an Icu after 17 hours with tubes in my mouth and got scared .Also my resting heart rate is very high average of 120 and I am not able to speak due to some nerve incubation. That makes me worried finally after a month I am able to speak normally and I am feeling well but sometimes so much tensed also because I thought my life will over in a couple of years .But this forum give me a lot of confidence by reading outstanding stories and information.

Glad to hear you are doing well Aalok, it comes as a shock to most of us, did you have a bicuspid valve?
I was roughly 6 weeks from finding out I needed surgery to the day of surgery.

Glad to hear you are doing well Aalok, it comes as a shock to most of us, did you have a bicuspid valve?
I was roughly 6 weeks from finding out I needed surgery to the day of surgery.
Yes bicuspid with calcification and regurgitation. Mine was in 10 days after knowing the situation.But I am lucky to get treatment from one of best team in my country.

welcome aboard.

there is indeed life after OHS ... my first one was at about 10 or 12 (can't be sure). I'm over 50 now.

I went on to do a couple of degrees , travel extensively and live overseas (I'm Australian) for many years.

Keep on tikkin I say

Knowledge is power. The more you read about your new reality the more you will come to understand that your new valve will have little impact on your life or lifestyle.

BTW, this forum is my only "must read" source of info about living with artificial valves that is in lay terms and written by OHS veterans. Welcome aboard.

Everything will go well step by step and in a short time everything will be a memory. You will learn to manage your pill, you will listen to your body and you will have a normal life.

Welcome @Aalok jain!
iunderstand your shock at this as do many people on this Forum! The best part is, your valve problem was found and fixed. Although I knew I had a bicuspid valve for a couple of years, like you, I did not have obvious symptoms that it was worsening until about 3-4 weeks before surgery.

you will find a lot of excellent information here and many kind and generous people sharing their knowledge. It has helped me to adjust and to takethe best care of myself. I am sure you will find the same here.

Dick did not mention it but I believe he has had the same mechanical valve for more than 50 years and now is enjoying a ripe old age. So imagine the best and do the follow up your doctors advise (like yearly echos) to get the best care. I am so glad you have been cared for. Will you still be able to study abroad like you planned?

A shocker it is, first the unexpected news something is wrong and then the surgery on top of that. Give it time though, and read a lot, especially here. You will see you will become more knowledgeable and confident about your condition, this will definitely allow you to (keep) do(ing) a lot, if not most, of the things you like to.

Dick did not mention it but I believe he has had the same mechanical valve for more than 50 years and now is enjoying a ripe old age. So imagine the best and do the follow up your doctors advise (like yearly echos) to get the best care. I am so glad you have been cared for. Will you still be able to study abroad like you planned?
I am planning after a gap of 6 months so that my sternum heals properly and I can manage things on my own.

Hi Aalok Jain here i am 22 yr old from India and had many ambition in life. One of them is to study abroad . So on october 6,2020 I go for a medical visa appointment and physician told me your heart has a different murr murr sound and I was worried and ask many questions to her . She said murr murr is normal some times and may be critical so I had to go for another tests . She done my ECG and it shows Left ventricular Hypertrophy is present in my heart and I am unaware of these terms. I come home normally and took an appointment from a cardiologist and he done my echo cardiography and there my life change . He found my valve has critical regurgitation and my gradient is also critically high so he suggest me to go for a surgery in a week. I went for another clinic and they found the same . So I finally go for On-X mechanical valve replacement on 17 October with lots of confidence and positive attitude . I wake up in an Icu after 17 hours with tubes in my mouth and got scared .Also my resting heart rate is very high average of 120 and I am not able to speak due to some nerve incubation. That makes me worried finally after a month I am able to speak normally and I am feeling well but sometimes so much tensed also because I thought my life will over in a couple of years .But this forum give me a lot of confidence by reading outstanding stories and information.
There is lot of great life post AVR. I did my AVR (had a native BAV) 18 months back. I also have a ON-X valve. Have your medications on time and keep a check on the INR and keep it within range as advised to you . All will be well. Yes Sternum healing takes around 6 months . In my case I still have some kind of mild discomfort at times on the sternum while I change sides during sleep etc . Don't know if this is applicable to all. But I don't bother much about that .

Go for it, live life to your fullest 👍 🤗

Latest posts

Back