sudden onset petit mal seizures after surgery??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delvalle6

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Sammy has started having non-responsive "staring" episodes that they think might be absent seizures or petit mal seizures. He's never had them before. Does anyone have experience with this after surgery? His heart rate goes way up while it is happening....

I'm sorry to hear this. I can't think of anyone who had them after surgery, but with everything going on and all the meds, hopefully it is a short time thing.
I know of a few kids who have seizures when they get fevers and one of my friends son had a few seizures that they figured out was because he took phenergan for coughs.

I'll keep your whole family in my prayers.

I'm sorry but I don't know. Several people have reported severe post-op occular migraines. My younger son possibly suffered with "complex partial seizure" following an acquired traumatic head injury years ago (the description of which reminds me a bit of what you are describing).

They don't suspect any kind of a TIA, do they?

Also, I was thinking of something I saw once, so I searched it out, and while this may be a wild stretch, I will post a link to some info that possibly you could research and ask about? I don't know if it will help. I hope he will be okay. http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/ketogenic.html

Edited to add: If that diet information is too wild a stretch, please excuse me; I may have posted too hastily last evening when I first saw your thread.

Hoping Sammy is better today; best wishes :)

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear this, but I am faithful that this will be taken care of and under control. You are in a great hospital with great doctors! My pulse went very high and I had a slight fever on the 2nd day of my surgery, but it was taken care of quickly.

Will keep you all in my prayers.

Sammy has started having non-responsive "staring" episodes that they think might be absent seizures or petit mal seizures. He's never had them before. Does anyone have experience with this after surgery? His heart rate goes way up while it is happening....

Is he still in the hospital? I hope he gets a neurological consult ASAP.

Is he still in the hospital? I hope he gets a neurological consult ASAP.

As Luana said, get a neurological consult as soon as possible. I do not know anything about seizures associated with heart surgery. The only thing still hanging around for me is some sparklers in both eyes, but they usually only happen if I am extremely tired or if I forgot to take my metoprolol. I shall continue to pray for you, Sammy and the rest of your family.

His heart rate goes way up while it is happening That is concerning. Have you told his cardiologist about this and the heart rate. Maybe it is an arrhythmia of some sort. I think the cardiologist should be called and he should see Sammy asap.

Joe had several TIAs, but his heart rate did not go way up when he was having them. Some of them involved non-responsive behavior.

It's the heart rate thing coupled with the spells that needs to be carefully looked at.

Latest posts

Back